PlayBar needs to support Dolby Digital Plus!

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

With my upgrade to the Apple TV 4th Gen, I now have silence playing DD+ 5.1 audio from Netflix (previous Apple TV generations would transcode this to DD 5.1 on the fly before sending it over HDMI)

Chain:
ATV4 --HDMI--> Samsung UA65H7000 --TOSLINK--> Sonos Playbar

The TV does support passthrough of DD+ from HDMI to TOSLINK, and as others have noted, certain bitrates of DD+ WILL pass through TOSLINK, and would possibly be backwards compatible with DD decoders.

Is this low-bitrate DD+ something SONOS would be able to add support for via a software update? I’m past the return date for my ATV4 and it’s a bummer having to keep both the ATV3 (for Netflix) and ATV4 (for Plex) around.
If you only have a Sub and Playbar, why care if it's stereo or 5.1? You aren't getting 5.1 in either case, so stereo should be fine.
I have play 1s connected as surround with playbar and a sub.
I have play 1s connected as surround with playbar and a sub.

OK, that's different. You hadn't stated that before.
I've said from the beginning the Playbar is good for a bedroom TV, but it is no substitute for a true Home Theater application. Then again, I'm of the opinion that any type of soundbar is not a true Home Theater application, so I'm pretty much a purist. Doesn't stop me from using a Playbar in the bedroom for its excellent sound, especially compared to the tiny speakers in most flat panels.
Ya I guess so..probably I would do that and replace my old surround in my bedroom and move on. Gives me a reason to look for the latest home theater with reasonable cost 🙂 . Just wanted SONOS team to read this feedback as its such a good system to have but a pity of its inadequacy on streaming certain well known formats out there.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I see this as "plenty of blame to go around". Supporting DTS would be prudent from a blu-ray perspective. Why the hell my Roku won't convert DD+ to DD annoys me too. My Netflix app built in to my LG TV puts DD to the Playbar just fine. Use the TV Netflix app and I get true 5.1 surround. Use the Roku and I get stereo. If my TV is handling the conversion I wish it would do it for HDMI. DD 5.1 was a standard for a reason. It annoys me equally that devices can't output it as an option in their setup. Lots of AV receivers getting obsoleted by this nonsense as well.