Playbar gen 2 update?

• 6 September 2019
  • 18 replies

I have not seen any post about this question in over a year, so hopefully there is current news? Can we get an update on the next version of the Playbar? As stated in many of the threads its overdue and the potential upgrades are needed. Personally, I'm looking for a blue tooth option since everything I have is running throught a mac mini and it has no optical out option...
thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

Sonos doesn’t talk about upcoming hardware releases that are the pipeline, until they’re ready to release much like the announcements today about the Sonos SL,the Sonos Move, and the Sonos Port, so you’re unlikely to get any data from the company.

That being said, I’d highly doubt that you’d ever see Bluetooth on a soundbar, the Bluetooth spec, to my knowledge, only has the bandwidth for a stereo signal and not a Dolby Digital signal.

For your situation, right now, you’d probably want the stream being split from the HDMI via an HDMI switch that has an optical output. There is a lot of discussion regarding this solution in this very area of the forum, as there are a plethora of people in a similar situation, with TVs that don’t have either HDMI-ARC or an optical out.
Thanks. I was looking into splitters etc and would consider if this was a new speaker. I just hate the idea of buying 6 year old tech... I fear buying it, then the new one comes out. Might go for the Bose...
Understood. I guess it’s like buying a couple of year old Mac. Still runs the latest MacOS, works just like s new Mac, but isn’t the latest hardware.

To me, the integration with the rest of the Sonos ecosystem is important. But if you’re looking for only a computer speaker, there is a wide variety of choices.
Badge
After todays new products announcements the playbar is the only remaining product in Sonos line up that is not Airplay 2 compatible, so it’s definitely overdue for a refresh. As to when that will happen is anyones guess. The most requested features are probably Airplay 2 compatibility, HDMI arc input, Dolby Atmos and DTS compatibility. A smaller sub and satellite atmos speakers have also been rumored. Here’s to hoping!

I’m hoping for something along the lines of the new B&O sound-bar announced recently, but with the ability to add surrounds and even the in-ceiling speakers for a true Dolby atmos set up. Simulated Atmos is never gonna be the same as having actual speakers to spread the sound around.

I'm with you. Waiting for the updated hardware before I commit to a set up. Got to be coming in 2020 surely.

Badge +3

I’m liking all these rumors about a new Playbar. I’m in the market now to get the Sonos home theatre package but I might wait a bit to see if a new Playbar comes out. I’m in no rush. Granted, I know these are all rumors and we’ll have to wait and see. But it would be nice for an update.

Badge

Personally I’m in no rush for gen 2 playbar as the current capabilities for software updates is fine. 

yea HDMI arc perhaps the main draw but my ears are more than happy with optical. AirPlay not so much of an issue as there is the group play with a unit that already has it. More pressing upgrade for me is update to a G2 play 5 from the G1

Personally I’m in no rush for gen 2 playbar as the current capabilities for software updates is fine. 

yea HDMI arc perhaps the main draw but my ears are more than happy with optical. AirPlay not so much of an issue as there is the group play with a unit that already has it. More pressing upgrade for me is update to a G2 play 5 from the G1

There isn’t any difference in audio quality between HDMI and optical.  

There is already a gen 2 Play:5.  What do you want improved?

The benefit of an HDMI connection, either e-ARC or HDMI-ARC is it allows greater bandwidth for the audio signal, which means it could handle other types of codecs beyond Dolby Digital, which is close to the max that can be carried across optical. 

But as John B says, there is no difference between Dolby Digital across either connection, it is exactly the same data. 

Badge

All good I’m not needing any more. Like I said optical for me is great so a new playbar gen isn’t needed IMO. 

The Gen 1 P5 looking a little dated for me so would like to update especially as when the imminent S1 & S2 software comes I’d rather not have to separate the system for sake of 1 outdated speaker. 

The  gen1 Play:5 was discontinued 5 years ago. And replaced by the gen2. I am sorry but you are not making much sense here.....

Badge

Ok John. 

Playbar gen 2 can’t see what a gem 2 could give over the gen 1 other than HDMI and airplay so not a major rush for me to want one. 

G2 P5 since I’ve been a late adopter if Sonos eco system for me that item needs me to address it (not Sonos need to make a new one). 

Hope that clarifies.

Enjoy your ststems

OK I see. You too.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

I have a Playbar and it’s a fantastic unit. Only reason I want it upgraded is for a voice assistant and more importantly Airplay 2.

Every other Sonos speaker in my house is Airplay 2 compatible which is super helpful when sending audio from youtube videos etc. It would be nice to be able to do it on the Playbar without having to group with another speaker.

Optical is a great standard for Dolby Digital/DTS. I prefer it to HDMI ARC as it doesn’t waste a valuable HDMI port on my TV.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I hope for a gen 2 Playbar for Atmos, but even if it didn’t have Atmos I would hope it has eARC which would solve a lot of problems people experience with lip sync.

Today’s email: “$150 Playbar” … Goodness gracious, the Playbar is SO. STINKING. OLD!!! No way I’d spend this kind of money on tech that’s 8 years old. Although it still sounds good, Sonos just can’t expect people to shell out this kind of $$$ for a speaker that’s not even AirPlay compatible. Come on Sonos!!!

One could hope they’re clearing out old inventory in order to make space for the new. 

That being said, I have two of these ‘ancient’ devices, and they continue to work perfectly for me. An outstanding product!

Badge

I've been waiting for two years now for Sonos to release a new and updated Playbar.

Is it finaly happening? I hope so 😃