Answered

Playbar crackling sound

• 19 January 2016
  • 36 replies

I have a 5.1 setup (playbar, sub, 2 play:1s). Recently, the playbar has a crackling and static like sound coming out of it when I watching cable tv (cox). I have an optical cable running from the playbar directly to the TV. Please help.
icon

Best answer by Daniel H 27 January 2016, 15:16

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

36 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Are all other sources fine?

If it's just the one source it would suggest a problem with that source for the audio. Otherwise if ALL sources are displaying that issue I'd give Sonos Help a call
The only other source I have hooked up is Apple TV and that works great with no audio issues.
Badge +1
When I bought my original Playbar, one year ago, I had frequent (every 30 secs or so) clicking. Got in contact with Sonos tech help, they performed some diagnostic where I emailed them a recording of the clicks. And the Playbar was replaced. Contact the technical support I've always found them really helpful. Hope you get it sorted.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
The only other source I have hooked up is Apple TV and that works great with no audio issues.
We noticed you are working with our Technical Support Team already under reference: 160123-002547
My player started cracking about a month ago when Netflix or Amazon Video is on pause or when you are switching it off. Rather annoying, likely to be from one of the last updates?
Hi Sasho

Whats the make and model of your TV?

Thanks
Hi! I am facing the same issue on my playbar. The programming is paused so there should be silence. I do not have a 5.1 setup, the playbar is set up to play by itself. Let me know if I should submit diagnostics.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, jayyappan2331:

Please submit a diagnostic report and be sure to reply with the confirmation number it gives at the end. I'd be happy to take a look at what is going on.
My playbar has a static and crackling sound when watching TV. I've only had it a month. Here is my diagnostic #8262397. Thank you for your help
I have had my playbar for just about two weeks now and I have been having a crackling issues the entire time. It is not constant it comes and goes for about five min at a time. I tried a new optical cord but that did not resolve issue. I have a brand new lg oled that I bought the same time as the play bar. The noise will get louder with the volume. Any ideas?
Couple of suggestions. First, check your TV's software, and make sure it's up to date. Second, within 10 minutes of getting this crackling issue, submit a system diagnostic, and post the number here, for the folks at Sonos to look at.
I checked everything and everything looks good. It is still continuing to happen. I submitted a diagnostic and my number is 8317917
I'll look forward to a response from Sonos on this.
How long does it take
Random amount of time on the boards, especially around the holidays since they're slammed by all the new purchasers asking for help. And I don't normally see a lot of folks working the boards on the weekends, although it does happen. You may want to try one of their more direct methods of contact. Go to the bottom of this page, click on the link "Contact us", and then on the next page click on the link "Skip to see all options".
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
If you're getting odd audio when playing from the PLAYBAR I'd suggest that you give us a call on our support line. The link there should take you right to the phone number and hours for the team in your country.
I bought Sonos 5.1 along with Samsung Q7 QLED TV about a week ago from the Best Buy store. Now the Playbar is making crackling sound randomly while watching TV. I have got nothing else connected besides TV. I may have to replace the Playbar at Best Buy. I rather not deal with Sonos customer service for a brand new product. I hope this issue is related to Playbar itself.
We are having the same issue. I'm starting to think that there is compatibility issues between the two. I hope Sonos can come up with a fix. Do you have digital optical from the bar to the tv? Sonos told me to run a optical back to the cable box which in my setup isn't right next to the tv. I already swapped out to a new cable between the tv and bar and that didn't fix it. Let me know what you find out
I ended up replacing the playbar but the new playbar has so far made that sound once. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Same problem here. Diagnostic 8461494 submitted.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Should have said, mine is an LG TV source.
Same problem. Diagnostic 669526234 submitted.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello there, nholder79. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. Can you tell us the make and model of the TV you have directly connected to the PLAYBAR? Does the optical cable go directly between the PLAYBAR and TV or does it go to another device? The more information we have the better we can assist. Thanks!
TV Make: LG

TV Model: 2018 OLED B7P 55 inch

Optical Cable connects directly between Playbar and TV.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
nholder79: Thanks for the details. Are you experiencing dropouts or delays? Would you mind submitting a fresh diagnostic report? Does this happen regardless of the audio output (PCM or Dolby Digital)?

Alternatively, if you have a moment, you can give our support technicians a call and they will be able to take a closer look in real time with you.