Answered

Playbar bracket changes left and right

• 12 June 2019
  • 5 replies

With the playbar standing under TV on shelf the connections are at the back/bottom. If I mount playbar on the TV stand bracket all the pictures show the connections at the bottom with the wide aluminum strip with sonos logo at the bottom. This means the playbar is the opposite way round to standing it on shelf. How does this affect the spacial position of sounds? Do left sounds still come from left and vice versa. How does it know left has become right? And right become left? Or am I being a bit thick here 🙂 thanks
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 12 June 2019, 22:21

Edit: Modifying answer.

OK, I had knee-jerked an answer, which turned out to be incorrect, my apologies.

If you look at the images of the Sonos device, it is designed, when mounted vertically, for the silver bar with the Sonos logo to be at the bottom. This is born out by looking at where the IR "reflector" is located, which is then at the top.

When the Sonos PLAYBAR is plugged in, there's a switch that determines what orientation it is in, and makes a modification of the way the speaker works based on that data. Note that you can't control that in the controller app....and if you plug in before it's in the wanted orientation, you can get it mounted, and then unplug and plug it back in, at it will reset.
View original

5 replies

Edit: Modifying answer.

OK, I had knee-jerked an answer, which turned out to be incorrect, my apologies.

If you look at the images of the Sonos device, it is designed, when mounted vertically, for the silver bar with the Sonos logo to be at the bottom. This is born out by looking at where the IR "reflector" is located, which is then at the top.

When the Sonos PLAYBAR is plugged in, there's a switch that determines what orientation it is in, and makes a modification of the way the speaker works based on that data. Note that you can't control that in the controller app....and if you plug in before it's in the wanted orientation, you can get it mounted, and then unplug and plug it back in, at it will reset.
Hi, thanks for speedy reply, I ordered the bracket with the playbar from sonos. I'm just looking at the item pictures, I'll dig out the manual and have a read, this is link to what's confused me
https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/shop/sanus-playbar-tv-mount.html

Thanks
Ah right so it does know where it is, that's fine, I'll give it a try and see how we go, can't do it now, the wife's settled in watching the TV and playbar is on shelf now. I'll try it tomorrow
Thanks
If you look at the last picture on that page, it shows it mounted properly. Sonos logo is at the bottom.
Yes that's the picture that confused me as that's obviously the opposite way round to it standing on the shelf. But I'm OK with that now if it switches when you mount it upright. I didn't know if it was that clever. I only got it all this afternoon so I just installed it. The instructions with it are a bit light on technicalities. Plug the wires in, open the app and get it working. I suppose if you just do it without thinking about it, it would have just worked either way
Thanks for your help, I'm OK with it all now