Question

playbar and amp 5.1 questions

• 23 October 2019
  • 2 replies

Hi,

I am considering the 5.1 setup below to use with my LG OLED65E8PLA.  I generally stream movies using the Netflix, Amazon apps built into the TV but also have an Xbox and Nintendo switch.

I am planning on installing a sonos playbar, sub and amp with Sonos ceiling speakers.  I will connect the TV to the playbar via the optical out from the TV.  Both the playbar and Sonos amp would be wired to my network via ethernet.

- Would the playbar, sub, amp and ceiling speakers be better for 5.1 audio than a Sonos amp and wall speakers combined with a sub, amp and ceiling speakers?

- When not using the above for TV, can I join the playbar and amp to a Sonos zone (with other Sonos speakers)?

- Have the audio lag issues with the playbar and lg TV's been fixed via firmware - I am seeing conflicting info?

- Can I put the sonos amp in a cupboard or does it need to be accessible for day to day use?

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi  DOz3y

Would the playbar, sub, amp and ceiling speakers be better for 5.1 audio than a Sonos amp and wall speakers combined with a sub, amp and ceiling speakers?

• The Playbar will provide left/center/right channels. Using in-wall speakers will provide left/phantom center/right channels 

When not using the above for TV, can I join the playbar and amp to a Sonos zone (with other Sonos speakers)?

• If you are bonding the Sonos Amp running the ceiling speakers as surrounds the Playbar is the only speaker that would be grouped visually in the app. The Sonos Amp being bonded to the Playbar would come along for the ride automictically. 
  • You do have the option to set the ceiling speakers being driven by the Sonos Amp to play as Full stereo speakers for music automatically. After the music stops they will return to surround mode_automactically.

Have the audio lag issues with the playbar and lg TV's been fixed via firmware - I am seeing conflicting info

• Any audio lag is a function of the TV and not the fault of the Playbar. Therefore, to answer your question Sonos has not implemented any type of fix. I have two Playbars on non-LG’s with no audio lag.

Can I put the sonos amp in a cupboard or does it need to be accessible for day to day use?

• As long as there is some type of ventilation placing the amp (used for surrounds) in a cupboard should not be a problem; unless the cupboard is hermitically sealed  :slight_smile:
  • If using the amp to drive in-wall speakers you’ll want it visible in order to control volume via your TV remote.

Note: If using ceiling speakers for surrounds they should be positioned over the seating area to left and right of arm rests not more than a 12 inches including rear placement. 

Let us know how things sort out.  Cheers!

Awesome, thanks!