Playbar

Show first post

226 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Does anybody no the size of the plug on this as my TV does not have a lot of room behind it

Assuming you mean where the mains connects to the playbar, it's completely flush. All the connections are in a recess within the device, meaning cables can be managed tidily.

I don't foresee you'll have an issue.

There's a suitable photo in this article

http://vowe.net/archives/013676.html
Userlevel 2

• a sound bar with surrounds driven by connect:amp, or
  • a center speaker with surrounds and mains driven by connect:amps

with easy switching between those modes and a "music mode" where the connect:amps are used without the playbar, because I can't imagine the playbar would replace or add anything to a connect:amp and speakers you like.

I'd be fine with that similar approach of leveraging connect amps. Perhaps it's time for a revamp of the connect/amp hardware to include the 5GHz radio to handle the new intra room architecture that is being used for sub/play3. That could be expanded to a new generation amp(s) so that you could put 1,2 or 3 amps together to build it up however you'd like surrounds on one, LR on another. Center on another.

The more I think it through that would be my ideal wish list if I couldn't get it in a single chassis. 1 Connect amp for surround 1 connect amp for LR. The LR could be the center point with the audio input. It could sync to a 3rd amp for center.. or a play3 for center (power is typically available at the TV point)

Seems that all of this could be accomplished with a rework of the connect amp to include the extra radio, extra digital inputs, and firmware/software.

Basically a playbar without the bar.. roll your own speaker option.

I've been dreaming for probably 7 years so I won't hold my breath. :rolleyes:
Userlevel 2
As a substitute for naff TV speakers, it works well. It will also conveniently replace a Sonos unit located in the same room. If this is the intended market for this device, I guess it will sell. I'm sure many buyers wouldn't even notice the different between true 5.1 and upmixed 2.0.

I'm going to try it just for that. I have 2 HDMI sources on my two year old Sony (Cable TV and Media Streamer) and I am getting mightily p'd off with the TV audio from modern movies (down mixed to 2.0 from 5.1 or 7.1). Most of the poor audio goes out the back which might be fine if it was against a wall - it isn't.

Two years ago I tried connecting a Play5 for TV audio output - too fiddly - experiment #1 terminated. Seems as if some proper thought has gone into the User Ergonomics of the Playbar - time for experiment #2.
Userlevel 2
...the kind that can blow womens clothes off....

.....if you have any clips of that happening, send them over, I have to rely on my rapier wit and charm!

Anyway, it looks as though all the TVs I have will only pass through 2.0 on the Toslink, although the Sony will apparently output 5.1 if the source is the internal Freeview HD tuner.

I also had a look at the settings on my Sony BR player, on the Digital output the options are to pass out DD or downmix, for DTS you can set to DTS or downmix, and the options for downmix are surround or stereo.

I don't know if it would be feasible to set up such that the video is sent to the TV via HDMI and the audio to the playbar via the Toslink, or whether this would introduce lipsync issues.

That could go someway to addressing the shortcomings, although you are restricted to one source that way (my BR player is a decent streamer though).
Userlevel 2
All this talk about the playbar has got me to thinking and I cannot seem to find the info about my TV to know if it will pass DD 5.1 to the Toslink/Optical port... Any ideas? I have a Samsung 64 inch D8000 Plasma.

Thanks. I hope I am ok and won't have to go looking for a new TV for this setup... even though I was planning on getting a new TV for the bedroom, I may have to move this one in there and pick up a new one for the main area.

I don't think this system will come anywhere close to the sound I get out of my NHT Xd 2.2 digital system.... but it will come much closer for WAF to remove all the pieces of the existing setup and simplify the area by removing amp and receiver and cables running to each subwoofer and speaker. The imaging of the NHT Xd are EXCEPTIONAL.
Userlevel 2
My few year old 52" vizio in the family room has the to slink optical port but only works if using the internal tuner.. so any external source via HDMI or other than a antenna or direct cable feed = no joy.

Non starter right off the bat without a forklift of the display.
I don't know if it would be feasible to set up such that the video is sent to the TV via HDMI and the audio to the playbar via the Toslink, or whether this would introduce lipsync issues.

That could go someway to addressing the shortcomings, although you are restricted to one source that way (my BR player is a decent streamer though).

This is quite feasible, though it evidently isn't the official way to do things. (BTW, "unsupported" is understandable in the context of, say, accessing a music library over WiFi, but I struggle to find a technical argument why one shouldn't send the Playbar S/PDIF from something other than a TV.)

As has been remarked before, a source device supporting HDMI 1.4 may be able to automatically adjust the timing of its S/PDIF output to match the TV picture. In any event the Playbar has a lip-sync adjustment, and many TV decoder boxes also have a delay option.

As for selecting between different S/PDIF sources, if you bypass the TV you'd need to use a switching device of your own.
Userlevel 2
Hi

I mean the plug as mt TV is flush with wall and all wires are behind plasterboard
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Hi

I mean the plug as mt TV is flush with wall and all wires are behind plasterboard

You should be able to mount the PLAYBAR with no visible wires.
Userlevel 3
All this talk about the playbar has got me to thinking and I cannot seem to find the info about my TV to know if it will pass DD 5.1 to the Toslink/Optical port... Any ideas? I have a Samsung 64 inch D8000 Plasma.

Thanks. I hope I am ok and won't have to go looking for a new TV for this setup... even though I was planning on getting a new TV for the bedroom, I may have to move this one in there and pick up a new one for the main area.

I don't think this system will come anywhere close to the sound I get out of my NHT Xd 2.2 digital system.... but it will come much closer for WAF to remove all the pieces of the existing setup and simplify the area by removing amp and receiver and cables running to each subwoofer and speaker. The imaging of the NHT Xd are EXCEPTIONAL.

If you can not determine the formats available via your TV's audio/sound menu settings for your TV"s optical output or do not have access to your TV's user guide you may want to check the user guide resource here:

http://tv.manualsonline.com/

typically TV's that support DD have a configuration setting, that sometimes defaults to "auto", and can be changed between DD and PCM (stereo)
I have been following this thread since the beginning, and I think I will purchase a playbar for my particular situation. I am a little concerned that there hasn't been a reply in over 24 hours. This is the hot new thing from Sonos, and it doesn't bode well that this topic has already fallen off the first page. Hope some improvements are coming that will appeal more to Sonos core customers. This inability to decode DTS is a major stumbling block I think. I assume with the processor installed that it has the ability to decode it, and it is a licensing issue. Hoping for some news along those lines before release.
I have been following this thread since the beginning, and I think I will purchase a playbar for my particular situation. I am a little concerned that there hasn't been a reply in over 24 hours. This is the hot new thing from Sonos, and it doesn't bode well that this topic has already fallen off the first page. Hope some improvements are coming that will appeal more to Sonos core customers. This inability to decode DTS is a major stumbling block I think. I assume with the processor installed that it has the ability to decode it, and it is a licensing issue. Hoping for some news along those lines before release.
There was a flurry of discussion in the wake of the annoucement, but since the Playbar doesn't ship until March it's hardly surprising that comments have abated somewhat.

I'm not sure what news you expect from Sonos in the short term. They have a policy of not discussing definite future developments plans (though there are now some indications about future intent on the ask.sonos.com board), and the software for the imminent Playbar release must have been well and truly baked.
Userlevel 2
Badge
[QUOTE=cue003;188240]All this talk about the playbar has got me to thinking and I cannot seem to find the info about my TV to know if it will pass DD 5.1 to the Toslink/Optical port... Any ideas? I have a Samsung 64 inch D8000

I have the 64" D7000. It will output 5.1 for the internal tuner or Smarttv features like Netflix, but for sources connected via hdmi, it will only output 2.0 I suspect the D8000 is the same.
Userlevel 2
I have a panasonic TX-P50VT30e

On the specs page on sound it says.

Dolby Digital Plus / DolbyPulse / dts2.0 / dts Digital Out/ CoNEQ

at connections

Digitale audio out (optical)

If i have 5.1 comming in from HDMI will it pass thru to my optical out into the sonos soundbar?
Userlevel 1
Badge
I've just pre-ordered mine from my local HI-FI shop, I've also taken a half day holiday so I get to the shop on 05/03 before it shuts to ensure I get it on that day and not have to wait until the weekend to get it.
To say I'm excited about the Playbar, is an understatement...
Userlevel 2
I don't have a digital optical port on my TV, but I do have HDMIin and HDMIout on my TV. Can I still connect the new Sonos Playbar to my TV as this device only has a digital optical port?

Who can help me?
wtlodder,

First post! Welcome to the forums.

PLAYBAR does not support HDMI inputs.

You would need a device similar to this. Note that I have no experience with this unit and my experience with other little "boxes" that claim to solve similar problems has been spotty. I would purchase this only if backed by a money back guarantee.

If you have a Home Theater receiver, you could purchase the above (prior to purchasing PLAYBAR) and connect it to an optical input on the receiver for testing. If this test is successful, PLAYBAR will work fine.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
wtlodder,

First post! Welcome to the forums.

PLAYBAR does not support HDMI inputs.

You would need a device similar to this. Note that I have no experience with this unit and my experience with other little "boxes" that claim to solve similar problems has been spotty. I would purchase this only if backed by a money back guarantee.

If you have a Home Theater receiver, you could purchase the above (prior to purchasing PLAYBAR) and connect it to an optical input on the receiver for testing. If this test is successful, PLAYBAR will work fine.

It should be noted that this device will not convert DTS to a format that PLAYBAR will understand - you will just get silence when playing a DTS source.
Userlevel 2
I have a panasonic TX-P50VT30e

On the specs page on sound it says.

Dolby Digital Plus / DolbyPulse / dts2.0 / dts Digital Out/ CoNEQ

at connections

Digitale audio out (optical)

If i have 5.1 comming in from HDMI will it pass thru to my optical out into the sonos soundbar?

There seem to be very few TVs which do this. It seems that many will pass out DD5.1 from an internal tuner or something like Netflix but not passthrough from a HDMI input.

I think we will have to see the detailed reviews and early adoption to find out exactly what works and what doesn't.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
You will find that most TVs intentionally do not do this, it's a DRM thing and apparently part of the licensing restrictions of DVD/Blu-ray.

HDMI ARC (audio return channel) was invented to solve this issue. It allows one device to receive all the digital audio from connected devices without the restriction. It only works over HDMI. PLAYBAR does not have an HDMI connection.
Userlevel 2
Somewhere there was mention of a discussion with a sonos development engineer that had solid reasoning to only have an optical input and that was the best way to connect.

I would have loved to be part of the conversation to hear the case. Other than simplicity of system connectivity in this day it looks like it could limit use as much as it simplifies. For a product to make it that far though it would have to have thorough requirements evaluation.

Perhaps most tv's being sold its a non issue and I would expect sonos to have done the necessary market research of TV's on the market.

They may also have a bigger plan to grab the audio right off a network stream in the future like has been eluded to in past interviews.

I just see lots of concern with folks equipment not being compatible.

I agree in theory that the optical in is definitely "good enough" from an audio quality perspective and very simple demystifying home theater hookup. However in practice I'm concerned that the actual availability of that hookup option. On the surface it looks like it's largely available on TV's from a physical standpoint but what's actually supported on the output being a huge question mark.

I get sonos position that the video space is complicated and a mess and that they are treading very carefully entering this market.. yet despite all that, this sole input decision may be a fumble right at the start. Time will tell.. can't wait to see what folks have to say when they can get their hands on it.

Maybe I'm just bitter because me current TV won't support it. 😃
Userlevel 2
There seem to be very few TVs which do this. It seems that many will pass out DD5.1 from an internal tuner or something like Netflix but not passthrough from a HDMI input.

I think we will have to see the detailed reviews and early adoption to find out exactly what works and what doesn't.

As an installer, I can confirm that 99% of all new TV's will only pass DD5.1 from the TV’s internal tuner itself. HDCP is set to not allow pass-through of any digital signal that is not confirmed through the HDMI handshake. Older TV’s that have not updated the firmware still may pass through from HDMI but once they update the firmware, option is gone. It would be nice for the PLAYBAR to have HDMI input/output as well as ARC, but it’s certainly not the market I see this designed for. As a consumer and installer, I don’t want to run 3 or 4 HDMI cables to the back of any sound bar. I can’t imagine the cost of the PLAYBAR if they also had to license it for HDCP, HDMI, DTS… Not only that, they would have to license all other devices that would get the “stream”. i.e. Play3, Play5, Subs and Connect Amps. My hope is that Sonos doesn’t lose sight of what they are making high quality system that is easy to use and implement.
Userlevel 2
Badge
All sound bars use technology to create some type of pseudo 5.1 effect. When I was looking for a sound bar for a secondary room, I went with a Yamaha ysp2200. It has 3hdmi in and one out, 2optical in, 1digital coax in, and one analog in. I assumed that the pseudo 5.1results would be better if the bar started with a 5.1signal. But I wonder if that is the case in the real world. It would be interesting to do a side by side comparison between the play bar and something like the ysp2200.

To me, the play bar seems like it will be well suited for people who have sonos in the house already and have a tv where they are using the tv speakers for sound. That would be a great upgrade. For existing set ups, whether real 5.1 or sound bar setups, I think you would be better off just adding a sonos connect.
The YAMAHA YSP's use an array of small speakers and some clever processing to reflect beams off of the side walls to create the surround effect. As you move up the line, more speakers are used and the beams are more precise. They work best if the side walls are reflecting and plain. Cluttered walls dilute the effect.

PLAYBAR is a more traditional L-C-R (Left-Center-Right) arrangement with angled tweeters on the ends. PLAYBAR uses some phasing effects to increase apparent separation, but it does not create steerable "beams" like the YAMAHA. The YSP's don't use physical rear speakers, PLAYBAR can use a pair of PLAY:3's as rear speakers. The YSP2200's subwoofer is wired to the bar.