Playbar

Any more info ?

http://engt.co/UuxKUy

226 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +14
Just read the article, interesting that they seem to move on to dual band, that's an appreciated move.

Let's just hope that the will offer a support solution for the old players as well, it's not much use if it's only the Playbar that will support it.

Best option would be a DIY kit, second best a micro-bridge that you could connect to the affected players 🙂
Userlevel 2
Badge
Maybe this will be the central part of a surround sound system?

PlayBar, Sub, plus new cube shaped Play 1's (half size of play 3)?
Userlevel 4
Badge +14
That is most likely. Hopefully they will have a hdmi throughput which would delay the video for better sync.

However, I can't help wonder how big of a market that would be though...
Badge
I don't know about the market, but I'm in. Been hoping for some Home Theater solution the gets rid of my receiver. I hate having to turn everything on and have connect player hooked up.
Kinda funny. I just boxed up my surround sound because the kids played too loud and to simplify my cableing of six speakers, amp, etc.

Bought a zvox 220 sound bar to make up for crappy tv speakers. Quite happy with the result. Reminds me of Sonos in it's simplicity. It took about an hour to disconnect my speakers and about 3 minutes to hook up the zvox.

Only cost $190 so I won't be crushed if Sonos comes out with an elegant solution to tv audio.
Userlevel 1
Any more info ?

http://engt.co/UuxKUy

No, of course not, Sonos won't say anything until it's ready for release.

"Update: We've done some digging, and the WiFi may be more innocuous: Sonos' proprietary network is actually WiFi that's just invisible most of the time."

Translation, Engadget have no idea how Sonos works. Idiots.
Hello,

While I appreciate Sonos expanding their offering and especially the thought of buying a Sonos soundbar, what kind of benefits do you think one can really expect from a soundbar to, say, 2 Play5 units comboed in stereo with one of them getting sound from the line in.

Maybe you'll notice I'm still a little new to all this. The points is, I have been looking at Sonos for some time now and the time to invest in a Sonos system would be NOW. Which is why I am pondering the implications of of already buying 2 Sonos Play5 for my living room setup, a Connect with an actual soundbar or nothing, in order to wait for the Playbar...
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hello,

While I appreciate Sonos expanding their offering and especially the thought of buying a Sonos soundbar, what kind of benefits do you think one can really expect from a soundbar to, say, 2 Play5 units comboed in stereo with one of them getting sound from the line in.

Sounds bars usually mimic the sound of a 5.1 home theater setup using a single array of speakers that sits below your tv. They also sometimes take the place of the receiver.

I'm thinking that the sound bar will do those things well, but also let you incorporate one or more of the play3s and subs to create a more traditional system if you so choose.
Badge
Sounds bars usually mimic the sound of a 5.1 home theater setup using a single array of speakers that sits below your tv. They also sometimes take the place of the receiver.

I'm thinking that the sound bar will do those things well, but also let you incorporate one or more of the play3s and subs to create a more traditional system if you so choose.

I'm just hoping that they offer some type of video solution (i.e. HDMI Switching). If not, I guess second best option would be using optical out from TV and running all HDMI sources into TV. Not the ideal solution as I now have five cables going to back of TV instead of 2 (PS3, Dish, Apple TV, Optical Cable, Power Cable). Also, not sure how TV's handle decoding or pass-thru on audio signal.

Hopefully there is a unique solution to a Sonos Home Theater here, can't wait for official announcement.
Userlevel 2
Here it is.....

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2013-02/sonos-playbar-home-theater-entrant-detailed/
And it's official:

http://www.sonos.com/introducing/playbar
Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfQpCMc1_Ek
Userlevel 4
Badge +14
They never mention if it will support DTS, only dolby digital 2.0-5.1 and PCM.

That would require your equipment to output PCM and convert DTS in itself, which I'm not sure if all media-players/bluerays handle?
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
They never mention if it will support DTS, only dolby digital 2.0-5.1 and PCM.

That would require your equipment to output PCM and convert DTS in itself, which I'm not sure if all media-players/bluerays handle?

DTS is not supported and, when playing DTS sources, there is no audio output.
It looks like only SPDIF input. No HDMI means no DTS-HD/MA or Dolby TrueHD from Blu-ray. So I can see this being a great addition to my bedroom TV (with 2 Play:3 for surround), but it won't be replacing my traditional 5.1 system. Which is fine by me. Though I would have liked to be a fly on the wall for the meetings where it was decided to go with SPDIF only instead of HDMI. 😉
Userlevel 4
Badge +14
DTS is not supported and, when playing DTS sources, there is no audio output.

That's a bummer. Just checked, and my Boxee can downsample to stereo, but not PCM. That means that it will be stereo for everything that is encoded with DTS... I know DTS require additional licenses, but one would have hoped that it would support one of the most common codecs for multi-channel audio.
Userlevel 2
Potentially dumb question : Does it play the TV sound or only the pass-through sound from devices connected to the TV ?

My guess is yes.
Userlevel 2
I'm trying to figure out how this would all work for me. I have a true 5.1 and 7.1 systems I obviously won't replace but in the master bedroom I DO use a Sony Soundbar (with a separate Sonos Play 5 in the room).

Now the Sony includes not only the soundbar but also a subwoofer which has video switching and handles everything including Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA from Blurays. To replace the Sony with this soundbar am I correct that I would need to buy a lower-end AV receiver and have the AV receiver output the audio from my various sources (such as the cable box, blu-ray player, apple tv etc.) to the Sonos Playbar?

If so the cost of the whole thing goes through the roof... $300-400 for a "low-end" AV receiver, $700 for the Playbar and $700 for the sub. While I am positive the sound quality will be far better and I get the "seamless" Sonos experience I am not sure it is worth the price vs my $450 Sony Soundbar (with sub with AV switching etc.) in particular with the added problems in cabling and inability to handle Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA sources.

I *might* get this for a fitness room I have as I was looking for a Play 5 for the room but could instead use this for its improvements in "filling" a room with angled speakers etc.
Potentially dumb question : Does it play the TV sound or only the pass-through sound from devices connected to the TV ?
Depends on the TV.

It'll play whatever it's sent on the S/PDIF.
Userlevel 4
Badge +14

My guess is yes.

Well, it has a spdif in, so basically, it will play whatever comes out of the spdif you connect it to.
Userlevel 1
To replace the Sony with this soundbar am I correct that I would need to buy a lower-end AV receiver and have the AV receiver output the audio from my various sources (such as the cable box, blu-ray player, apple tv etc.) to the Sonos Playbar?

It appears the idea here is that you connect everything to the TV and then take an optical out from the TV into the Playbar.

That of course assumes your TV has an optical output...
It appears the idea here is that you connect everything to the TV and then take an optical out from the TV into the Playbar.

That of course assumes your TV has an optical output...

The idea is to have the TV switch audio from whichever HDMI source you're watching.

You could also take S/PDIF direct from a source device such as a DTT box, but said box would need to be able to insert an audio delay.
Badge
Not sure, I was hoping to replace my current Denon, Non-Powered Polk Soundbar and Polk Powered Sub.

The issue is, I'm not excited to run three new HDMI cables and a Toslink back to Playbar.

This does seem more of a bedroom addition instead of a main living room addition.
The only place this might be of use to me would be the bedroom but that telly doesn't have an optical audio out.
I only use the telly connected to a Mede8er box and that does have one so I assume I could just connect that up?

Does the soundbar have a headphone socket? I bet it doesn't, they don't seem to like putting headphone sockets onto players (except the 5)
The issue is, I'm not excited to run three new HDMI cables and a Toslink back to Playbar.
Why three new HDMI cables? All Playbar needs is a single TOSLINK.