PlayBar 2.0

• 2 September 2018
  • 30 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

Badge
I'm a huge fan of my current setup – a Beam, paired with a Sub & 2 Sonos Ones. But... my plan is to move the Beam into a smaller room when Sonos releases their next big soundbar.

I know they're kinda downplaying Atmos at the moment, but imo, the floodgates seem to be opening with Atmos Soundbars. And Vizio just put one out at a very aggressive price point.
i have both the beam and the playbar; and I think that the beam does a fine job of filling a large room if paired with a sub. my beam is in a large rectangular great room that measures about 45'x25'x15'. it sounds just fine. speech is clear, bass (with sub) is deep, pretty immersive. my playbar is currently in a famliy room that's much smaller, 20'x15'x10', and while it is certainly has more forceful bass than the beam alone, it still needs the sub to really pop.

personally, i think that for large rooms, you really need the sub to get that immersive surround sound. the place where i think i would choose the playbar is for smaller entertainment/family/movie rooms where you can get away with not having a sub.

a playbar 2.0 would be nice just from a design refresh POV, but I don't see any other reason to update the playbar unless they add some significant additional functionality like Atmos.
Yes, I’m waiting patiently for this Sonos product update too. I think the same as dashriprocket, it will most probably have HDMI-eARC.

I’m reasonably sure it will have voice control capability, like we see with the Beam and I reckon it might even go onto provide support for Dolby Atmos (hopefully) in some form.
Badge
I'm holding out for this, as well. But... speaking as someone who just came over to Sonos from Bose: you do not want to go with them. Their stuff sounds great, but their technical side of things is a complete mess at the moment.
I would suspect there would have to be with HDMI 2.1 and eARC coming out by Bose this September 2018 and Alexa. Come on Sonos, give us the Playbar 2.0 so we don’t end up having to go for the Bose Soundbar 700 on 9/20. Sonos is my preferred brand!!!!!