Question

Play1, Play 3 or Play 5 as 5.1 surround speakers: any advantage using the 3's or 5's vs. the 1's?

Badge +1
Any recommendations?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, AsonosInEveryPot. It's entirely subjective. Personally, I have found the PLAY:1's to be perfectly suited for this purpose. Perhaps others will chime in.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have Play 1s and a Sub on my Playbar. That is more than good enough for surround sound for movies.
Also, set to Full for music is excellent. Easily a match for my Play 3 stereo pair
Badge
I have Play 1s and a Sub on my Playbar. That is more than good enough for surround sound for movies.
Also, set to Full for music is excellent. Easily a match for my Play 3 stereo pair
Me too...was gonna go with the 5's...totally overkill for surround...then was going to go with the 3's...the sales rep recommended the 1's ...saved the money and can buy another pair of 1's for the garage...very nice
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The Play 1's also look good on the Flexon floor stands and don't take up as much room as the other options
Badge +1
Which doection should the surround speakers be facing?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Behind your head facing the TV
Userlevel 1
Badge
If you are listening to music only surround sound all the speakers should be infront of the listener.
Some will disagee with this.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If you are listening to music only surround sound all the speakers should be infront of the listener.

If you are ONLY listening to music you don't need a Playbar do you? Then stereo Plays might provide a better sound stage being in front rather than behind.

But if you have SURROUNDS then you have a Playbar and you definitely want those behind you.
I just got the Play:1's yesterday for surround sound and am really happy with them so far. I had some trouble setting everything up but now it's working I think the sound is perfectly acceptable. I did consider the 3's but they are a bit bigger and more expensive and I think it would be overkill for the surround. Also, as mentioned above if you change the music to Full instead of Ambient you get a really great sound out of all the speakers combined with the sub.
Userlevel 1
Badge

If you are ONLY listening to music you don't need a Playbar do you? Then stereo Plays might provide a better sound stage being in front rather than behind.

But if you have SURROUNDS then you have a Playbar and you definitely want those behind you.

I'm SONOS only, 9 year loyal customer, and don't watch TV, so I would want a Playbar for 5.1 to integrate with the other Zones.
I have read 5.1 rear speakers definitely should be in front for music only enjoyment, but everyone is different.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I'm SONOS only, 9 year loyal customer, and don't watch TV, so I would want a Playbar for 5.1 to integrate with the other Zones.
I have read 5.1 rear speakers definitely should be in front for music only enjoyment, but everyone is different.

I don't understand what you are saying. Surround sound such as 5.1 is designed for video (Ie TV and films). Although I was recently corrected that there is some music made for 5.1 it is vanishingly small. Virtually ALL music is designed to be enjoyed in stereo. There really isn't ANY point, in my opinion, in having a Playbar if you only listen to music.
Surrounds should be to the side, or slightly behind the listener's shoulder. Not directly behind.
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/surround-sound-speaker-setup/5-1-setup.html

As for music through them when seated, if it's on Ambient the surrounds should sound good. Full probably makes more sense if you're moving around the room.