Play Full Stereo Through Satellites Bonded with PLAYBAR

Userlevel 1
I have just bought a Playbar. I already had a set up in my living room of two Play 3s (as a stereo pair) and a Sonos sub. I have been very happy with the sound quality for music playback on the 2 play 3s plus sub. However, when I set up my Playbar on my tv in the same room, with the Play 3s as surround sound speakers and the sub, the system remains in this configuration for music playback too. For musical playback, I much prefer the sound that you get from two Play 3s as a stereo pair plus sub. I don't like the way that the two Play 3 become virtually redundant for musical playback once set up for the tv surround sound. My idea is for Sonos to make it possible to have the to Play 3s working as satellite speakers for surround sound when the tv is switched on, but reverting back to being paired up for stereo playback when I am listening to music. Please, please make this possible!!

249 replies

Userlevel 1
Yes...I have the exact same issue. It would be to be able to rename the room perhaps and switch between room names depending upon whether you are watching TV to listening to music
Userlevel 1
I just experienced the exact same issue... I was using the two Play 3's and SUB in a room before by playbar arrived and the sound was mind-numbing. Once the playbar was incorporated into the system, the surround on TV and Movies is great BUT.... when listing to music on this setup is not as good as it was with just the Play 3's and Sub. I just got off the phone with one of the techs (who understands this issue and was very helpful) and stated that Sonos knows about the problem. When listening to music on this setup, the rear Play 3's are still essentiallly functioning in a 'surround' mode and the output to them is not that great. The majority of the sound (80-90%) is coming from the playbar and very little from the Play 3's. He showed me a workaround to this to create a 'Stereo 5.1' setup instead of a 'Surround 5.1' setup which is better to listen to music. To do this you have to remove the SUB and Play 3's from the room setup that the Playbar is in and set them up in a different room name (e.g. Living Room 2). Then when you see your different room setups, select the room that has the playbar and group it with the other room (Living Room 2). The result when playing music is an awesome 'Club/Disco' like effect with equal sound coming from the Playbar and two Play 3's and the SUB doing its thing. THIS IS THE EFFECT YOU GUYS ARE LOOKING FOR TRUST ME! The problem is that then to go back to a 'Surround 5.1' type setup to watch TV (cause watching TV in this more leaves the Rear Play 3's way too loud and overwhelming the Playbar) you have to go back into setup and 'add sub and Play 3's' back to your Playbar which means again pushing buttons on each of the components and taking the time to do that and redoing the setup of the Surround room every time... HERE IS WHAT WE NEED SONOS... The ability at the push of a button to switch between the 'Surround 5.1' mode for watching TV and a seperate 'Stereo 5.1' mode for listening to music in this room setup without having to group or re-setup the whole surround setup for the playbar everytime as I describe above. It seems like a simple EQ settings type thing where in that Stereo mode the output is equal on the playbar and Play 3's versus the Sourround mode where the Play 3's are really just functioning as rear channels with much less output. Thanks for listening. KD
Absolutely, I would like it if the Play 3 speakers worked in stereo mode as well when music is being piped through.
Ditto!
Userlevel 1
ABSOULUTELYYYYY!!! This is a MUST! Perhaps sonos will come out with a small quick software/firmware update for this and not wait until a full general update with a whole bunch of things!!! I really want to get back to the previous sound I had with the play 3s and music before the playbar without having to unpair, etc...
Userlevel 1
A quick update... I have emailed Sonos Support about this, and they have responded with the following: "I am with you on this one, but I am afraid that the best I can do for you is to add this as a feature request to our product development team. We love to hear your requests about implementing a switch for Play 3s between surround for tv, and stereo pair for music as it helps us in providing you with the best possible experience with our products. However, Sonos does not make any statements regarding future product developments. We can assure you, that there have been multiple requests for the product described by you and our product management is aware of it." Hopefully, therefore, they will be on to this soon. However, if anyone reading wants this update, it would be good to get your 'like' or comment - maybe it will speed up a software/firmware update!
Userlevel 1
I was using the two Play 3's and SUB in a room before by playbar arrived and the sound was mind-numbing. Once the playbar was incorporated into the system, the surround on TV and Movies is great BUT.... when listing to music on this setup is not as good as it was with just the Play 3's and Sub. I just got off the phone with one of the techs (who understands this issue and was very helpful) and stated that Sonos knows about the problem. When listening to music on this setup, the rear Play 3's are still essentiallly functioning in a 'surround' mode and the output to them is not that great. The majority of the sound (80-90%) is coming from the playbar and very little from the Play 3's. He showed me a workaround to this to create a 'Stereo 5.1' setup instead of a 'Surround 5.1' setup which is better to listen to music. To do this you have to remove the SUB and Play 3's from the room setup that the Playbar is in and set them up in a different room name (e.g. Living Room 2). Then when you see your different room setups, select the room that has the playbar and group it with the other room (Living Room 2). The result when playing music is an awesome 'Club/Disco' like effect with equal sound coming from the Playbar and two Play 3's and the SUB doing its thing. THIS IS THE EFFECT YOU GUYS ARE LOOKING FOR TRUST ME! The problem is that then to go back to a 'Surround 5.1' type setup to watch TV (cause watching TV in this more leaves the Rear Play 3's way too loud and overwhelming the Playbar) you have to go back into setup and 'add sub and Play 3's' back to your Playbar which means again pushing buttons on each of the components and taking the time to do that and redoing the setup of the Surround room every time...

HERE IS WHAT WE NEED SONOS...
The ability at the push of a button to switch between the 'Surround 5.1' mode for watching TV and a seperate 'Stereo 5.1' mode for listening to music in this room setup without having to group or re-setup the whole surround setup for the playbar everytime as I describe above. It seems like a simple EQ settings type thing where in that Stereo mode the output is equal on the playbar and Play 3's versus the Sourround mode where the Play 3's are really just functioning as rear channels with much less output.

Thanks for listening.
KD This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Audio/Sound 'disconnect' when listening to Music on Surround Setup (Playbar, SUB, 2 Play 3's) versus same setup without Playbar.
I have my Playbar set up with 2 Play 3's and a Sub. It sounds great for movies but I think I'd prefer to listen to my music on the Play 3's and the Sub. It seems like I need to remove the Play 3's and Sub from the surround set up every time I would want that. Am I missing an existing option? If not, could this be a future add? This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Playbar 5.1 set up, music playing options.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
I have my Playbar set up with 2 Play 3's and a Sub. It sounds great for movies but I think I'd prefer to listen to my music on the Play 3's and the Sub. It seems like I need to remove the Play 3's and Sub from the surround set up every time I would want that. Am I missing an existing option? If not, could this be a future add? This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Playbar 5.1 set up, music playing options.
Hello, Unfortunately, this is not currently possible. I have merged your thread with this existing Idea thread. You are welcome to add your +1 vote for this feature. It is something I would like to see as well. Thanks!
Really hoping that a good solution will be found soon. One that doesn't involve pushing buttons and going through the same surround and sub setup process every time. It would be nice to be able to assemble certain profiles: - a movie 5.1 profile with Playbar, 2 Play:3's and the Sub, the Play:3's acting as surround speakers - a music 2.1 profile with just 2 Play:3's and the Sub - a 'club' 5.1 profile with Playbar, 2 Play:3's and the Sub, the Play:3's acting as normal speakers (although this of course can also be accomplished by adding Playbar to the Play:3's + Sub group). These profiles should remember the surround and sub setup so you won't have to repeat this when you switch.
Just added (2) Play 3's to my Playbar for surround sound and hope Sonos adds a feature to the app to accommodate a quick setup for this issue.
Userlevel 1
Such a MAJOR bonehead move by Sonos. It shows that they are out of touch with their users and rushed this product without thinking it through. I went from a very satisfied user to a very pissed off user. I love the playbar and the 5.1 but hate listening to music now. This company really lost my respect for introducing this product without properly setting up multiple configurations. They HAD TO KNOW this was going to be an issue. They chose to ignore it and I believe as a result have alienated many once satisfied users.
I to would love more options for hearing music better when I turn the TV off. Currently music from the rear speakers are almost non existent in the 5.1 config while listening to Pandora.
Ditto here, I have the whole 5.1 setup which is great for movies on my apple tv (trying to figure out a workaround for my bluray and xbox), but is really lacking when it comes to immersive audio experience. I liked the DSP options of my receiver that allowed for all stereo and various effects/sound stage experience. This would be a great addition to the playbar setup and would probably help more people take the plunge away from the traditional setup with a receiver. Great product looking forward to updates maybe even DTS support!!!
Userlevel 1
... 39 likes to date, all presumably from people who have spent a considerable amount of money on Sonos products... Is there any chance that Sonos might at least put this idea as 'Under Consideration'?! I, for one, would like to know whether this idea will be put into action sometime soon?
Userlevel 1
45 day window to return the playbar I returned mine today for a full refund If they ever fix thus issue I will consider purchasing it If you have the same issue I urge you to return the product This is the only way to send a CLEAR message to Sonos
Userlevel 2
Sonos have replied to this issue on my post here: https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/playbar_sub_2xplay3_quiet_music_from_play_3
Badge +3
For clarity, I can confirm that the PLAY:3 satellite speakers bonded with a PLAYBAR currently play ambient sound rather than full stereo when the source is music (local files, music services, etc). We are currently evaluating including this in a future software update and this idea is marked as Under Consideration.
Another big bug of PLAYBAR (in addition to the missing DTS support): music by stereo PLAY:3 linked with the sub is great and incomparable to the PLAYBAR / PLAY:3 satellite config. SONOS, please immediately add an automatic change: TV/5.1 sound or music/PLAY:3 stereo grouped with PLAYBAR/sub
I just recently bought the whole 5.1 setup (playbar, sub, 2 play 3s) and didn't even think about this 😕 I wouldn't even mind switching back and forth in the short term until a better fix is provided, but that will prove difficult with my 2 rear play 3s being mounted so high (such that I can't reach them to change them each time). I don't know what I'm going to do now..... Any short term fix for this issue???
Userlevel 1
Well done ! I returned all of my Sonos equipment to get out of the customer lock-in and I'm not likely to return to Sonos before they did not fix at a minimum the major issues and give clear commitments.
Userlevel 1
I just recently bought the whole 5.1 setup (playbar, sub, 2 play 3s) and didn't even think about this 😕 I wouldn't even mind switching back and forth in the short term until a better fix is provided, but that will prove difficult with my 2 rear play 3s being mounted so high (such that I can't reach them to change them each time). I don't know what I'm going to do now..... Any short term fix for this issue???
You can reconfigure without touching the devices via the controllers, but I'm not sure about Sonos is likely to go ahead rapidly to solve issues in case you keep the scrap and they keep your good money. Make the voice of your good money heard and return the scrap.
Userlevel 1
Another big bug of PLAYBAR (in addition to the missing DTS support): music by stereo PLAY:3 linked with the sub is great and incomparable to the PLAYBAR / PLAY:3 satellite config. SONOS, please immediately add an automatic change: TV/5.1 sound or music/PLAY:3 stereo grouped with PLAYBAR/sub
In case you want Sonos to go ahead rapidly there is indeed only one way to push them effectively: Make the voice of your good money heard and return the scrap !
Userlevel 1
For clarity, I can confirm that the PLAY:3 satellite speakers bonded with a PLAYBAR currently play ambient sound rather than full stereo when the source is music (local files, music services, etc). We are currently evaluating including this in a future software update and this idea is marked as Under Consideration.
A good idea to solve a common issue just marked as *** UNDER CONSIDERATION *** is - in simple words nothing - nothing, but chit-chat. Do yourself, saying Sonos as a company, a favor and give clear commitments to your customers. I've already returned my full Sonos install due to that kind of weak answers from Sonos !
Userlevel 1
This is the only way they will get the message