Answered

Play:1 drop outs from all sources while on surround

• 12 September 2021
  • 23 replies

Badge +1

I have two play 1s linked to a Beam. This is setup as a surround system.

Both play 1s can be connected to Ethernet if needed. The Beam is connected to the TV by the HDMI to Optical cable/adapter.

what I have been finding is the one of the play 1s the “right” one keeps clipping out when watching TV or listening to music. This happens if on WiFi or on Ethernet. 

I’m starting to think the play 1 is faulty or failing. I have done a diagnostic report but not sure how to submit it to Sonos as the online chat is not available number is 1438370456

Can anyone offer advice? 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 14 September 2021, 16:38

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

23 replies

Userlevel 7

Make sure you have WiFi enabled under the Beam’s settings and do not wire the Play:1s with an ethernet cable. Unplug the Beam from power for a couple of minutes and reboot your router. If this doesn’t work, if possible, try wiring the Beam to the router with an ethernet cable.

Badge +1

@GuitarSuperstar i have tried this. If I wire up the Beam it throws everything out. Even if I reset the Beam to factory settings so not sure what that is about? 

currently WiFi on Beam and play 1s  and the right speaker dropping out about every couple of seconds or sooner for 0.5 each time. 

I was looking at changing the WiFi Chanel but can’t see this option. 

Userlevel 7

Before you wired the Beam to the router, did you remove the Play:1s as surrounds first?

Try this:

1. Remove Play:1s as surrounds in the Sonos app.

2. Unplug the Beam and Play:1s for two minutes.

3. Wire the Beam to the router while the Beam remains unplugged.

4. Reboot your router.

5. Plug the Beam and Play:1s back in. Wait a few minutes until all speakers are connected and seen in the Sonos app.

6. Add the Play:1s as surrounds to the Beam.

You can change the SonosNet Channel under the Network settings in the Sonos app.

Badge +1

Hello

ive done this before sadly and the issue comes back after a day or so.

also the Sonosnet is always greyed out on channel 6

Solosheep,

Go to Settings → System → About My System. WM: 0 indicates a unit that is using SonosNet. WM: 1 indicates WiFi and WM: 2 is a private wireless connection between BEAM, surrounds and SUB.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Solosheep 

Thanks for your post!

Please enable WiFi on your wired Play:1, then disconnect the speaker from ethernet.

You can ethernet-wire the Beam or the Kitchen speaker, but please don’t ethernet-wire a surround speaker.

I hope this helps.

Badge +1

Hi @Solosheep 

Thanks for your post!

Please enable WiFi on your wired Play:1, then disconnect the speaker from ethernet.

You can ethernet-wire the Beam or the Kitchen speaker, but please don’t ethernet-wire a surround speaker.

I hope this helps.

Hello , I have done this but I still get drop outs. Or it will stay connected for a few days then I will lose the right speaker completely from the surround sound and have to start again from scratch. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Solosheep 

If by “start from scratch” you mean factory reset, please don’t do this.

I can only go by what the diagnostic says, and it says the Right Rear Play:1 speaker is wired to ethernet and has WiFi disabled, neither of which we want to be the case.

Could you please submit a new diagnostic, replying here with the number given? Thanks.

Badge +1

Hi @Solosheep 

If by “start from scratch” you mean factory reset, please don’t do this.

I can only go by what the diagnostic says, and it says the Right Rear Play:1 speaker is wired to ethernet and has WiFi disabled, neither of which we want to be the case.

Could you please submit a new diagnostic, replying here with the number given? Thanks.

Here you go. I’ve now lost the left speaker. So it’s very random last a day or so. Here is the latest 2014136582

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Solosheep 

Great - thanks. I see a way forward. Your missing speaker has likely logged-on to your network via a Sky Q box. This is a problem as the Sky Q boxes don’t allow all of Sonos’ used network messaging types to pass through.

The best thing you can do in this situation is to wire either the Kitchen speaker or the Beam to ethernet, permanently. That, plus a 1 minute wait should do the trick, but rebooting the Beam may also be needed.

Alternatively, please do the following:

• Unplug the Beam and the surrounds speakers from power
  • Unplug your living room Sky Q box from power, plus any more of these that are closer to the Beam than the router is
  • Plug in the Beam, wait for a solid white light
  • Plug in the surrounds, wait for solid white lights
  • Plug in the Sky Q box

It’s possible this can be shortened to “unplug the Sky Q box for half of a minute” :)

Later, if speakers are offline (or rather, online but don’t show in the app) and have solid white lights, the chances are good that a reboot of the Sky Q box will fix it.

I hope this sorts it out for you.

Edit: There’s also a TP-Link access point which could cause the same issue.

Badge +1

Hi @Solosheep 

Great - thanks. I see a way forward. Your missing speaker has likely logged-on to your network via a Sky Q box. This is a problem as the Sky Q boxes don’t allow all of Sonos’ used network messaging types to pass through.

The best thing you can do in this situation is to wire either the Kitchen speaker or the Beam to ethernet, permanently. That, plus a 1 minute wait should do the trick, but rebooting the Beam may also be needed.

Alternatively, please do the following:

• Unplug the Beam and the surrounds speakers from power
  • Unplug your living room Sky Q box from power, plus any more of these that are closer to the Beam than the router is
  • Plug in the Beam, wait for a solid white light
  • Plug in the surrounds, wait for solid white lights
  • Plug in the Sky Q box

It’s possible this can be shortened to “unplug the Sky Q box for half of a minute” :)

Later, if speakers are offline (or rather, online but don’t show in the app) and have solid white lights, the chances are good that a reboot of the Sky Q box will fix it.

I hope this sorts it out for you.

Edit: There’s also a TP-Link access point which could cause the same issue.

Ok I will try your suggestions

I have disabled all of the sky Q Wi-Fi already as it’s connecting directly by Ethernet. The TP Link is also only a powerline ethernet connector and has no Wi-Fi ability.

I will report back 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

@Solosheep 

Your speakers see 3x Sky and 1x TP-Link WiFi broadcasts with the same name on 2.4 GHz.

Badge +1

Im Not sure why as the TP - link that are in range are power plug only. The Sky Q box is Ethernet only.

the only sky device I have that send WiFi are too boosters one in the sun room and one in the upstairs office. 

once I follow the instructions above would I disable the WiFi on the Beam? 

Badge +1

I have followed the instructions and for now disabled the Beam WiFi and changed the channel to 1 as a test . Latest report here 886229547.

Appreciate your patience and help this far.

Badge +1

Ok I have enabled WiFi back on the Beam. Now getting sound from both rear speakers. But the right one still drops out but not as much.

new report 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Solosheep 

Yeah - you want to keep the Beam’s WiFi on, otherwise the surrounds won’t work.

There are no playback errors reported - it all looks good in the diagnostic. I would reboot the TV and router by removing power from both for a minute, just to make sure everything is feeling refreshed.

I do recommend that you remove the WiFi credentials from the Sonos system: Settings » System » Network » Manage Networks.

From then on, the Beam (or Kitchen) must be wired to ethernet for your whole system to be able to work.

Badge +1

Hi @Solosheep 

Yeah - you want to keep the Beam’s WiFi on, otherwise the surrounds won’t work.

There are no playback errors reported - it all looks good in the diagnostic. I would reboot the TV and router by removing power from both for a minute, just to make sure everything is feeling refreshed.

I do recommend that you remove the WiFi credentials from the Sonos system: Settings » System » Network » Manage Networks.

From then on, the Beam (or Kitchen) must be wired to ethernet for your whole system to be able to work.

Ok so I will remove the WiFi as suggested and keep the beam on Ethernet. I can’t wire the kitchen due to its location .

if the right speaker keeps dropping out would this then be a physical issue? If so how could determine this? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Solosheep 

There are no hardware issues being reported by the right surround speaker. Let’s see how it goes, and if you get any further dropouts (either heard or the speaker missing from the app) please immediately submit a new diagnostic and reply here with the number given when convenient. If the speaker was missing from the app, please submit another diagnostic when you see it come back. Please try not to reboot the Beam or the right surround from now on so we can get as many logs as we can. The diagnostics will show if there was any interference or other cause of playback hiccup at that moment, and we’ll work from there. Due to the change in how the system now connects, the previous diagnostics no longer really apply.

If there is a problem with the speaker, we’ll get to the bottom of it.

Kitchen on WiFi will be fine - we just needed one unit to be wired so that Sonos devices don’t attempt to connect to the various WiFi access points. When a Sonos device is wired to ethernet it creates a hidden WiFi network that any Sonos device, belonging to the same owner, will prefer over any other WiFi connection. We call this SonosNet. So, your kitchen speaker now connects to the Beam for it’s network connection, as will any speakers you add in the future (other than Move or Roam). Surround speakers don’t work well in this ethernet-wired role, for various reasons.

Badge +1

No connection now again. I have followed the app advice but nothing :( 

Diagnostic: 1317750818

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Solosheep 

Rebooting your router, and then (when router reboot is complete) rebooting the Beam should help.

Badge +1

Hi @Solosheep 

Rebooting your router, and then (when router reboot is complete) rebooting the Beam should help.

I did this but had to re add the speakers back. I have come across another strange issue now it is connected via a wire. I seem to lose internet connection to sonos after 12am till sometime in the early morning. 

i do not have any router settings that would cause this but it’s very confusing and I can’t even record a diagnostic. 

Badge +1

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Solosheep 

I think, at this point, that it may be best for you to get in touch with our technical support team, who will go through some troubleshooting steps with you in real time (though if you haven’t tried rebooting the surrounds after the Beam was rebooted, I’d give that a go first). Please call rather than chat, if you can. Thanks.

If you’re confident that you could figure out how, it may be worth assigning static IP addresses for the Sonos devices in your router’s settings. On occasion, I’ve even seen on Sky routers that disabling IPv6 can help. If you don’t know how to do these steps, I recommend calling in.