Answered

pioneer tv hookup

I have a Pioneer tv that doesn't have the input on the back that the Sonos play bar fits, is there an adapter of some sort that will work?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 31 July 2020, 00:02

Probably looks like this:

That shows there is an optical output, labeled Optical Digital Out. If you’ve got it mounted to the wall, I’d probably get a 90 degree adapter, and connect the optical cable between that port, and the PLAYBAR. I’d then go in to the settings for the TV, and make sure the optical port was turned on, and set to send a Dolby Digital signal out. Then I’d double check the audio settings on all devices connected to the TV to ensure that they’re also sending a Dolby Digital signal to the TV. And that’s only Dolby Digital, not Dolby Digital Plus, not DTS, not ‘Best Available’. 

Edit: picture credit : http://www.hdtvsolutions.com/Pioneer_PRO-1150HD_Plasma_HDTV_Review.htm

View original

14 replies

Oh my, don’t know how I missed that port. It works fine, thanks for all your help.

Thanks Bruce, let me check it out, appreciate your advice.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I am really confused now. Are you talking about a physical bracket to mount the Playbar under the TV (“I’m sure any adapter will work”) or the s/pdif output that is required for an audio connection?

Whatever the answer, the model number is a required piece of the puzzle.

You could add them to your post, using the icon that looks like a black square with mountains in it.

Probably looks like this:

That shows there is an optical output, labeled Optical Digital Out. If you’ve got it mounted to the wall, I’d probably get a 90 degree adapter, and connect the optical cable between that port, and the PLAYBAR. I’d then go in to the settings for the TV, and make sure the optical port was turned on, and set to send a Dolby Digital signal out. Then I’d double check the audio settings on all devices connected to the TV to ensure that they’re also sending a Dolby Digital signal to the TV. And that’s only Dolby Digital, not Dolby Digital Plus, not DTS, not ‘Best Available’. 

Edit: picture credit : http://www.hdtvsolutions.com/Pioneer_PRO-1150HD_Plasma_HDTV_Review.htm

I used those 90 degree connector for years, they really did the trick when space was a premium, and the TV was mounted against the wall. I’m in a situation right now that they aren’t mounted, but I’m holding on to them. I have an ‘electronics’ drawer with stuff like that, which I probably should go through and get rid of old stuff. Electronic gadgets change at a high rate ;)

What outputs does this Pioneer TV have? It’s hard to recommend an adapter without knowing. Just telling us what model number the Pioneer TV would allow us to find pictures of the back of the TV, or even the manual. 

Tv is heavy and on the wall, have to get my buddy over again to help get it down, can’t understand how I missed that port but you can see I’m not a tech guy.

Remember having that same issue with an old and heavy Sony, back when ‘flat screens’ first came out. 

There’s a ton of ports on the back but the tax is on the wall, I’ll have to get the model number and some pics but I’m sure any adapter will work, just not the one that’s on the Sonos speaker. Thanks for your response.

S/pdif output. I’ll get the model number when I get home, thanks for your help.

It would also be useful to know which of the Sonos sound bars we are trying to deal with. In general, all sound bars have either a TOSLINK connection, or a HDMI-ARC connection, and those with only the HDMI-ARC connection ship with a TOSLINK to HDMI-ARC adapter. 

If it helps both ends look alike. It worked fine on my Sony tv cause it was only 4-5 years old but my Pioneer is about 22 years old.

Sorry it took so long but I needed help pulling the tv off the wall. It’s a Pro-1150 Pioneer and I have pics of all the ports but not sure how to send them to you. Thanks again for your help.