Pioneer AMP and Sonos

• 13 June 2018
  • 5 replies

Hi - I need some help/advice what is needed to make my home theater setup wireless.

I currently connect my SKY Q, Xbox and PS4 to my Pioneer AMP and then my AMP to the TV via HDMI. I still want to connect my devices to my AMP, but i would like to have Sonos wireless speakers.

The problem i have is i don't understand how the sound then goes from the Pioneer AMP to the Sonos speakers. Is this even possible? If so what do i need to be looking at to allow this to happen?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Hi, there is little chance you will get that working. Your AMP needs to have a line out option like the tape line out in old days. Modern AMPs have a 2nd zone line out so possibly your AMP has that but....there is hardly any AMP that will send HDMI sound to this 2nd zone. Only a few high end models can do that. Most AMPs can only send analogue (so the red & white RCA connections) to 2nd zone. One option is to go through your TV sound line out but depends a bit on what signal your TV can offer to that output (most do not support modern dolby & dts formats there). To receive sound in Sonos you need a Sonos Connect or a Play 5, they have the line in option but you can expect latency the way you want to use it. These are meant for sending music over the Sonos system through a CD or Vinyl player.
Thanks for your response.

I believe my AMP does have 2nd zone called HDzone and i believe this is HDMI. I also believe my TV does have optical out which I would presume would be dolby digitial if my understanding is correct.

I guess i need to look into this further
Would it be possible to say do the following?

Sky, Xbox & PS4 into a HDMI switch > Sonos Beam and connect say play 1's to that to make 5.1?
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Interesting, your AMP has a 2nd HDMI out, my Onkyo has that too. I never thought about the option to connect that one to a Beam in order to get all receiver sound on Sonos. Bit of a shame to use the Beam only for that but may work. Same as your HDMI switch suggestion, may work too but you do not have your TV connected to the Beam in that scenario but still to the AMP right ?
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
If your TV has optical output, you can use the adapter that comes with the Beam. If your TV has HDMI/ARC on one of its HDMI ports, you should be able to use it. And as mentioned above, your receiver seems to have a 2nd HDMI out, so you have three options. You're safe. Your best bet is probably all devices to the receiver, receiver to TV, then TV to Beam.