Philips TV + Beam Lip Sync issues

Hi all, my first post here having been an avid reader of the forums ever since I bought my Sonos One a few weeks ago, and shortly after pre-ordered my Beam.

I've been having a few problems with the Beam. I think most are little bugs that will get improved/ironed out as the updates roll out. However the issue with lip sync (DD5.1, not stereo) makes the Beam unusable. It leaves me one of two possible conclusions.

1. My Philips 55PUS6272 is not fit for purpose with external DD5.1 receivers. I should send it back and buy a TV that can send DD5.1 without delay (as it's only a few weeks old).

Or, 2. My Beam is not fit for purpose and I should send it back. This would leave my Sonos One redundant too in my view, so I'd send that back too and invest in a different system).

Which is the right conclusion, I don't know. But given the amount of users on here with lip sync for a variety of TVs, it seems reasonable to assume it's a Sonos issue. I love the Beam in principle, I really feel as though it's targeted towards me - I've been waiting for the right product for a couple of years, which makes the lip sync issue even more frustrating!

I've tried every combination of settings on the TV/Beam, including both HDMI ARC and optical connections, to no avail. The beam sounds awesome in DD5.1 and switching to Stereo (which in my opinion sounds narrow in comparison), is not an acceptable solution for me. It's frustrating that the audio is already delayed behind the video, as both TV and Beam have options to delay audio (further!).

I've emailed Sonos my comments and hope to open up a dialog with them, but wanted to share on here in case any other users have a Philips TV. I'll of course share any solutions that come my way for the benefit of the community.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

Thanks for the confirmation, although I'm sorry of the end result causing you so much trouble.

That being said, there seems to be a lot of issue with both LG and Samsung, so I think your choice of Sony might be a good one.

I happen to have an older Vizio, which I'm thinking of replacing sometime this year as well, so I'm paying particular attention.

Best of luck!
Yes it fixed the issue. The switch is rubbish, cheap and nasty but its allowed me to prove a point.

With HDMI ARC on, there is lip-sync delay, if I then press the button on the switch to disable ARC the lips sync right up immediately.

Its allowed me to prove there is some bug on the Philips TV, and not with my Sky or Sonos, so the Philips will be going back I am sad to say, and I will try a Sony Bravia next.

Such a shame, but I refuse to pay a lot of money for a TV then have to spend more on extras to make it work (and what Ive got is cheap nasty, would need to spend more to get better quality, and I don't want to have to switch manually ARC back on to get sound from the inbuilt TV apps such as Netflix and plex.
And let us know, please, if it resolves your lipsync issue.
Looks like it should, yes.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/EkoBuy®-UPGRADED-Control-Optical-Switcher-Black/dp/B0727QF9KH/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1547018180&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=hdmi+switch+optical&dpPl=1&dpID=51JlciAujNL&ref=plSrch

Would that do the trick?
Try buying the HDMI switch, and see what happens. It's a low cost thing, that should prove to you that it is the TV's issue that you're trying to deal with.
I bought a 55PUS7303 with the latest updates and it also has the same lag problems. Its a shame I have to revert to stereo sound to workaround this problem. My Beam sounds so much better with DD.

Ive had my 65PUS7303 for a week now, with the beam, and this is driving me crazy.

Are we sure the TV is at fault, if so I might send it back as its not fit for purpose...
If you buy a HDMI switch with optical, you'll find that the TV's issues will be obviated, and you'll get full Dolby Digital without any delay.
I bought a 55PUS7303 with the latest updates and it also has the same lag problems. Its a shame I have to revert to stereo sound to workaround this problem. My Beam sounds so much better with DD.
For what it's worth - I got a reply from Phillps support who suggest this issue will be fixed in a new software update, when they move to Android 8.0 Oreo, which is meant to be rolling out in November. We shall see!
I don’t have a chrome cast, so it’s hard for me to speak to that.

If you want to maintain CEC, whichever switch you purchased would need to be CEC enabled. I would assume that there are some that support that, but you’ll need to do the research to confirm.

I was addressing the lag issue, without regarding maintaining CEC.
How to use hdmi switch with Chromecast? Do I plug the Chromecast direct into the switch? And then an optical cable to the beam and a hdmi to the tv? What about the CEC when I use a switch?
All of the reports that I've read from people who installed an HDMI switch with an optical splitter in between the source and their TV, so that the Sonos wasn't being fed from the TV have been positive. Which leads me to the conclusion that the TVs are at fault.
I've the same lip sync issue with my Philips 47PFL6678S. I have tried both hdmi and optical connection. Stereo output works but not the DD output which sounds much better. It's very frustrating.

When I play a Netflix video through the inbuilt smart-TV app it seems to work but as soon as I play the same video through Chromecast it is off sync.

The problem is also present when I watch TV through the digital box or a blueray disc through my PS3.
I don't know if the problem is within my TV or with the Sonos beam?
I have a similar issue with Philips 7202 TV. Sadly not found any fixes.
Badge
I’d love to get a Philips ambilight TV to go with my Beam but your comments worry me a bit. Did you ever manage to sort the issue?
I have a playbar and a ambilight TV. Was not fully able to fix this, but I think I'll get an optical switch. That should solve the problems.
I’d love to get a Philips ambilight TV to go with my Beam but your comments worry me a bit. Did you ever manage to sort the issue?
Hi,

Did you find a solution to this problem ? I'm having a similar issue also with a Phillips TV where the audio is behind the visuasl using Dolby Digital on the Beam.

Thanks