Answered

Periodic Audio Dip with Beam and Sony TV's.

• 6 September 2020
  • 8 replies

I bought a Sony X950H and everything was great except every now and then the audio dips for a split second. I've tried all kind of setting changes and after looking into it it seemed like it was an issues specifically with the model and previous generation. So I got a A8H to replace it, and the dips are still occurring. I'm connected via HDMI/ARC and playback is mostly DD 5.1. When I play content in 2.0 it appears to be okay. 

icon

Best answer by wixostrix 13 September 2020, 05:15

@Simon B Thanks for your help. I was sent a replacement Beam and the issue persists. After further research and testing with other streaming devices, I’m fairly confident this is in fact a decoding issue with Android TV. I’ll be reaching out to Sony going forward. Thanks again!

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi @wixostrix, Thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community. Thanks for bringing this up and I know where you're coming from. About your concern with dipping sounds with your Sonos Beam, Is it happening on all contents? And so that we can check the status of your Sonos system, and if there are any issues, I’ll ask you to submit a diagnostic report for us to investigate further what could be causing this issue. You may reply to the thread with the confirmation number to assist you with this issue. 

Let me know your thoughts with the advice above.

The Sonos community is always here to help.

Hi Simon B. It happing in all streaming apps I use (Netflix, HBO Max, Disney+, Plex) when outputting Dolby Digital 5.1 over HDMI. I’ve summitted a number of diagnostics, but here is the confirmation # for one a submitted a few nights ago: 1377286364. I submitted it just a few minutes after the dip occurred. I don’t remember what app I was using. FYI, I only use the TV’s streaming apps and a Nintendo Switch. I haven’t noticed any issues while using the Switch but I don’t watch any streaming video on it.

Okay, so I hadn’t been able to test properly over optical because many of the apps weren’t playing in DD 5.1. I resolved that by making sure my TV output setting was set to Dolby Digital and not Dolby Digital Plus. I was playing a movie in HBO Max and it dip happened. Here is the confirmation # for the diagnostic report: 2113238685

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

@wixostrix , are you using the stock HDMI cable that came with the Beam? It may be the problem. I experienced a similar problem (with Sony x850e and Sonos Arc), which went away when I switched to a better HDMI cable (for starters, it is thicker). I find that Sonos devices are very sensitive to signal problems, and a good HDMI cable helps in them getting a better signal. I suggest you give this a shot. 
Please update us!

I was using the original cable then purchased one from Amazon. I’m testing on my other Sony TV (KD70X690E) and submitted a diagnostic in case it may help identify oddities with the TV causing problems. I’ve been playing the same video for about 20 minutes and haven’t noticed any drop outs. Confirmation # is 1232224358.

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi @wixostrix, thanks for the update and also on submitting diagnostic reports for your Sonos system. Upon checking on the information. I can’t see any issues with the Sonos Beam, but on this issue that there are audio dips I'll ask you to kindly contact our phone support team for further assistance and more in-depth troubleshooting steps.  Thye may ask video clips when the issue is happening so they can further check and give options on this issue. 

Let me know your thoughts with the advice above.

@Simon B Thanks for your help. I was sent a replacement Beam and the issue persists. After further research and testing with other streaming devices, I’m fairly confident this is in fact a decoding issue with Android TV. I’ll be reaching out to Sony going forward. Thanks again!

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi @wixostrix, thanks for the update. I’m glad that the issue was already resolved. 

If you have other questions with your Sonos products, feel free to reach out.