Question

PC output Dolby 5.1 to Beam via TV using Atmos?

• 16 January 2021
  • 1 reply

Hi all

Not an expert on any of this so please go easy.

I bought a new LG CX, which is outputting to my beam via hdmi. I also have a pair of Play 1s as rears, and sub. Everything works great from the internal TV apps and via Sky Q 

This issue I have is with my PC, which is connected to the TV via hdmi. I'm trying to get it to output Dolby 5.1 but because it knows it's connected to a TV it won't. I don't think there's a way around for this without messing about with new sound card/optical cables or connecting straight to the beam from the PC - unless anyone knows different?

However, the PC can output atmos (I've installed the codec) and as the CX can down-convert that to Dolby digital for the beam (as I understand it) I figured I could do that. When I try, the Sonos app reports that it's receiving a Dolby 5.1 signal, but I still get nothing from the rear speakers. What am I missing?

Any help appreciated. Spent a fortune on the PC and it's annoying only to get stereo out of it..

Cheers

Joe

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Vyncenze

Thanks for reaching out to the Sonos community and for letting us know about your concern. Let me share some information to help you out.

The usual setup that works for your devices, your Sonos Beam should be connected to your TV via HDMI ARC, and the HDMI-CEC is enabled. All Sonos home theater products, including the Sonos Beam, support Stereo / PCM, Dolby Digital 5.1 / AC3 audio formats. The Sonos Arc can play Dolby Atmos audio. Sonos Arc must be connected to HDMI ARC or HDMI eARC to play any Dolby Atmos content.

To check why there’s no audio on your rear speakers, let me ask a few questions to help you out.

• Have you tried removing and re-adding the surround speakers?
    • Open the Sonos app for iOS or Android.
    • From the Settings tab, tap System.
    • Under Products, tap the home theater room where the surround speakers are located.
    • Select Remove Surrounds.
    • Follow the in-app prompts to remove the surrounds from this room.
  • When you select TV under Browse on the Sonos app, do you automatically get the audio on your Sonos Beam?
  • Is TV Autoplay enabled on the Sonos app?
    • Settings > System > [Home Theater Room] > TV Autoplay.
  • Check TV settings if TV speakers are off.

Please submit a diagnostic report of your Sonos system for us to check why you’re not getting audio from your rear speakers. Just include the confirmation number in your response. If you have any questions about this, please let us know. We’ll wait for your reply.