Answered

Pairing 2 play 5 with beam VA. 2 play ones

• 18 January 2020
  • 5 replies

I  Have Sonos Beam and a single Play 5 Gen 2 in my bedroom. 

I would like to make It 5.1 for watching TV. 

Which is better:   

Buy 2  play ones which cost about 400$ and pair with Beam

Buy one more Play 5  and pair with my existing play5 and beam.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 19 January 2020, 04:53

Won’t work. The surround data would not carry any additional data that might be destined to go to a SUB. If you want a true .1 sound, you basically have to get the SUB. The PLAYBASE does ok with its built in sub, and I ran without a SUB for months, using my PLAYBAR, but adding a SUB changed everything. 

View original

5 replies

Yes. 

Either way is fine. I prefer the PLAY:1s or Sonos One séries as surrounds, because of how much work they get as surrounds, and would use the PLAY:5 for music purposes, perhaps in another room. But there are those who think a pair of PLAY:5s as surrounds really shine, especially when using the pm in “full” mode while playing music in the 5.1 room. 

Since you have the Beam, get two One SL’s. The voice control is inactive on the Ones when used with the Beam, so save money by getting the SL’s.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I’m very happy with One SLs as surrounds, you might find Play 1s cheaper but the SL is a better and newer design.

I was hoping I can avoid buying a sub if Ihave 2 play 5 as surround instead of a pair of play 1s as it will cost the same ( 2 play 1s or one play 5)

Won’t work. The surround data would not carry any additional data that might be destined to go to a SUB. If you want a true .1 sound, you basically have to get the SUB. The PLAYBASE does ok with its built in sub, and I ran without a SUB for months, using my PLAYBAR, but adding a SUB changed everything.