Ordered an Arc from Walmart, got an Arc SL

• 14 October 2021
  • 10 replies

Badge +1

Hello all, new Sonos owner here.  I ordered a Sonos Arc from Walmart because BestBuy was out and I couldn’t find one in stock anywhere else.  Paid $999 for it but was happy to get it, as I have the Sub and Ones for surround coming this week.  To my surprise, when I opened the box come to find out it’s an Arc SL!  Walmart’s site didn’t say SL, and even included voice control as a feature.  To be truthful, I wasn’t really planning to use the voice control feature, but to pay a $100 premium and not get what I ordered kind of chaps my hide.  I contacted Walmart and they’re confused, offered me to return it but then I’m a month and a half out to get an Arc.

So, questions to the wise.  Is there any downside to the Arc SL vs. Arc aside from the voice control feature?  Sonos app picked it up correctly as an Arc SL, but I’m concerned about future support.  Would you return it and wait for the real Arc?  It’s already installed and sounds great I just don't want to worry about it going EOL before the Arc does etc.  I’d love to get thoughts from the experts what you would do in this case.

Thank you for your opinions!

OB

10 replies

To my knowledge, the only difference is the microphone, and supporting items associated with that ‘system’. Other than that, it should be identical. If you don’t expect to use voice control ever, I’d just make sure you paid the appropriate price, and be done with it. 

Is that Canadian dollars? Australian? Certainly not US dollars. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Only thing I'd be concerned about is if they come up with some form of trueplay tuning using the microphone. If you've paid for it, I'd return it as the SL is meant to be like a couple hundred cheaper. 

Wow….I see Walmart is indeed selling the Arc above list price. Must be a markup, I assume, due to the shortage of available stock, traced back to the chip shortage. 

I would still think there’s a price difference between the standard model, and the Arc SL, but since none of us control what Walmart charges, your best bet is to talk to them. 

Only thing I'd be concerned about is if they come up with some form of trueplay tuning using the microphone. If you've paid for it, I'd return it as the SL is meant to be like a couple hundred cheaper. 

It’s also possible that Sonos could come out with their own voice assistant.  There have been rumors.

I am surprised that you got an SL from Walmart.  I thought the Arc SL was a Costco exclusive, or something along those lines.  Does the box say that it’s an SL?   Wondering if this was a shipping mistake or someone put an SL in the wrong box at the manufacturing plant or something.  

Badge +1

Thanks all,

Because Walmart is obviously mis-selling the Arc SL as an Arc, and because they’re charging $100 US over Arc list price, they agreed to allow me to return the Arc SL free of charge and with no restocking fee for a full refund.  I’m going to return it just so it doesn’t bug me.  I’ll wait and get the Arc whenever it's available, for the normal price.

Thanks for listening,

OB

Userlevel 7

@atps1234 The black Sonos Arc seems to be currently in stock at Adorama for the regular price:

https://www.adorama.com/soarcg1us1bk.html

Thanks all,

Because Walmart is obviously mis-selling the Arc SL as an Arc, and because they’re charging $100 US over Arc list price, they agreed to allow me to return the Arc SL free of charge and with no restocking fee for a full refund.  I’m going to return it just so it doesn’t bug me.  I’ll wait and get the Arc whenever it's available, for the normal price.

Thanks for listening,

OB

I’d recommend putting in an order with Sonos.com right now.  Yes, current ship date is Dec 17, and you may be able to get an earlier shipping date or find one in stock somewhere, but you can always cancel if needed.   Supply chain is just too messed up right now.

Badge +1

Thanks all,

Thanks for listening,

OB

I’d recommend putting in an order with Sonos.com right now.  Yes, current ship date is Dec 17, and you may be able to get an earlier shipping date or find one in stock somewhere, but you can always cancel if needed.   Supply chain is just too messed up right now.

I found it in stock at Adorama $899 + tax, with free 3-day shipping.  Nice!

Thanks all!

OB

Badge +1

@atps1234 The black Sonos Arc seems to be currently in stock at Adorama for the regular price:

https://www.adorama.com/soarcg1us1bk.html

Ha I found it too!  :-)

Badge +1

It’s also possible that Sonos could come out with their own voice assistant.  There have been rumors.

I am surprised that you got an SL from Walmart.  I thought the Arc SL was a Costco exclusive, or something along those lines.  Does the box say that it’s an SL?   Wondering if this was a shipping mistake or someone put an SL in the wrong box at the manufacturing plant or something.  

Yes the box did say Arc SL and it was discovered by the app as an Arc SL.  The thing that made me realize was the sticker on the black cover saying “Arc SL”.