One reason of DTS support for Sonos

• 3 December 2018
  • 26 replies

Userlevel 1
Before the next release of a new soundbar or soundbase. Add support for DTS will increase the sell of current products immediately but with a minimal cost (just some licensing fee).
For example, I will buy a soundbase just tomorrow, if there is an confirmed update for DTS.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

26 replies

Yes, adding DTS, or any features really, is going to increase sales, but will the cost of the license fee outweigh the increased sales? We (as customers) don't have the data to answer that question.
Userlevel 1
Yes, adding DTS, or any features really, is going to increase sales, but will the cost of the license fee outweigh the increased sales? We (as customers) don't have the data to answer that question.

I know :)
I just think it would interesting to bring up this idea on the table and get moral support for this argument. Nobody doesn’t want DTS right?
Userlevel 1
I dont think talking the need of users or any rational decision is gonna get us DTS support. The only way is talk about benefits for Sonos.
Man, I think we really need this
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Sonos stand by their decisions. They decided years ago with the playbar not to support DTS or Bluetooth on anything.
I missed DTS when I used to play blu-rays and I used to moan on here.....alot.
Now I stream from Netflix and Amazon in 4K HDR & DV, BBC HLG and DD5.1, I no longer miss DTS.
Sonos funnily enough saw my future ;)
Maybe they need to do something with Atmos as SKY broadcasts that, but DTS is dead to them IMO.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Atmos doesn't make sense in a soundbar. The ones that are remotely decent cost more and are still not true Atmos. When using ARC it has support for down mixing TrueHD/Atmos.
I am in the position where I am an extremely satisfied Sonos customer with multiple device in my house. A while ago, I started to look at my TV and existing home theatre setup and started to think that maybe it's time for a refresh. When it came to the home theatre, my mind immediately lurched towards Sonos. A few Google searches later and I was fully aware of the lack of DTS support. Now, I totally understand the rationale behind the decision making process and even had a snigger at both sides taking lumps out of each other - probably the best one was Complaining to Apple that you can't run Windows on their hardware (you can!). There was also some poppycock about DTS being dead and nobody playing DVDs anymore - far be it for me to profess to being an expert in this matter, but (i) DTS is not dead - go into your local supermarket and turn any DVD or Bluray over and you will find a lot of support for DTS, (ii) I play DVDs and Blurays and I am sure I am not alone, especially as there been a recent resurgence toward physical media again, such as vinyl. If my home theatre system doesn't support DTS, then I get no sound! Also, the last time I went to the supermarket, the shelves were full of them - if they didn't sell, they wouldn't be there.

Now we can all argue as much as we like, but for me the reality is as follows:

1) I currently have DTS and I primarily buy movies Blu Ray with DTS.
2) Given that DTS is not dead, future movies will be encoded as DTS.
3) I am not interested in downsampling to DD5.1 due to loss in quality. I buy DTS for a reason. If I preferred DD5.1, I would buy disks in this format and save a bit of cash to boot.
4) I have DTS support now, I am not going to drop a load of cash from something with less support than I currently have.

So, while I love Sonos products, it's a no from me while there is no DTS support. I totally understand and appreciate the position of Sonos and acknowledge that it's their product and they can do what they want with it but at the same time, I also exercise my right to buy an alternative product.

I write this not to whinge, but to throw my hat into the already crowded ring of those asking for DTS support. Now, I do not expect this for free and I would be happy to pay a little more over the standard for a DTS version of the Playbar, or whatever device. The reality is, however, while there is no support for stuff I already own then my money stays in my wallet.
@inspoadam Absolutely, perfectly reasonable explanation for your decision. I would not be looking to switch to Sonos if I was in your position either.

Physical discs aren't dead, but sales have been declining over the past years. It could make a comeback, like vinyl is doing, sure. I wouldn't say that the presents of discs in the supermarket says anything definitive. There is nothing to say that the demographic who buys DVDs in the supermarket is the same demographic who looks to buy Sonos HT. It could also be that the demographic is fine with stereo audio and/or only buy the disk for the digital download.

All that is irrelevant though, as you want to buy discs and watch DTS, making Sonos HT a bad fit for you personally. Probably the best fit for you, if you want to incorporate your existing HT with the rest of your Sonos system is the Connect (which you probably already have).

If I had a good HT system I was happy with before getting a playbar, I wouldn't have gone with a playbar either. If I were to build a dedicated home theatre room, I don't think I'd go with Sonos either.
Badge +2
I have had a system with wires everywhere that can play information in DTS and I changed to a Sonos system and my samsung Blu Ray player can convert the DTS information into DD. To be honest with you there is no difference in sound if you adjust it correctly. I think its actually better now that I have Sonos because I used the Trueplay calibration, the calibration takes into consideration room size and shape. Unless you are going to go to 7.1 or higher you will not notice the difference. I am using the playbar,2 playones and a sub. Samsung Blue Ray Player and Samsung TV.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Samsung are pulling out of making any more 4K UHD disc players, so get one that can decode DTS while you still can.
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
I think Sonos owe Samsung a deal of gratitude, I use our Samsung Blu-ray to transcode DTS to DD5.1 frequently, also use it for Netflix.

Might have to by a new Samsung Blu-ray player to keep "in stock".
Badge
I still feel we should keep pushing for DTS support in the product itself .. I am still switching to tv speakers every time I watch a DTS movie.. just does not make sense to me
Let me again quote from this article:

https://www.lifewire.com/digital-optical-connection-1846881

Digital audio signals, such as 5.1/7.1 multi-channel PCM, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS:X, and Auro 3D Audio cannot be transferred via Digital Optical connections. To transfer these types of audio signal formats you need to use HDMI connections.

The large majority of TV speakers sold by Sonos continue to be powered only by an optical connection. It is only their latest TV speaker, the Beam, which can handle an HDMI-ARC connection.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
The large majority of TV speakers sold by Sonos continue to be powered only by an optical connection. It is only their latest TV speaker, the Beam, which can handle an HDMI-ARC connection.
Just on a point of detail, though, optical connections do support regular DTS, which is the main topic of this thread. My decade old AV amplifier happily handles DTS signals this way, since it lacks HDMI inputs of any kind.
Badge
Let me again quote from this article:

https://www.lifewire.com/digital-optical-connection-1846881

Digital audio signals, such as 5.1/7.1 multi-channel PCM, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS:X, and Auro 3D Audio cannot be transferred via Digital Optical connections. To transfer these types of audio signal formats you need to use HDMI connections.

I agree with the other poster. I have always listened to DTS via optical so see no reason why this should not be possible for the playbar?
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
Agreed. I am even looking at the Yamaha soundbar with HDMI 2.2 and decodes everything. Sonos was first, now they are getting left way behind. I would buy a Soundbase or a new Playbar if they had HDMI 2.2 with 4k passthrough and all the other decodings. DTS, Dolby ATMOS, Dolby Digital Plus and all the other popular ones.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I think there is a great misunderstanding of what sound formats are passed from the HDMI ARC and Digital Optical output on televisions. DTS is not passed by many televisions via HDMI or Digital Optical. DTS is a sound source from DVD and Bluray. IMO, the difference between DTS and Dolby Digital would be marginal at best through a soundbar. Same for Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus. Since most folks using Sonos for movies likely stream, it’s a non factor.

Here’s a helpful link of current televisions and the sound formats they pass:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/5-1-surround-audio-passthrough
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
Agreed. I would jump right on a complete update of both of my Playbar's if the received HDMI inout like the Beam, and DTS, Dolby Atmos, and the other very upgraded sound support and decoding. Sony, Tamaha, and others are doing it and jumping o sales for SONOS, SONOS went public and have to answer to shareholders now, maybe they should start to listen. I own shares of this company
Agreed. I would jump right on a complete update of both of my Playbar's if the received HDMI inout like the Beam, and DTS, Dolby Atmos, and the other very upgraded sound support and decoding.

The Beam doesn't have HDMI input. It uses HDMI-ARC. It actually sends HDMI out (a screen saver) to the TV, with audio returning to the Beam over the return channel.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

DTS please SONOS, almost all of my Blurays are DTS for a surround; and yes true discrete channels make a difference to sound quality 

I love the SONOS style and ecosystem but I cannot invest in your products full knowing that none of my Blurays will work...neither will I recommend to friends and family because of this

Please reconsider adding DTS, the format has been around nearly 20 years and cannot be that resource intensive with today’s standard ICs available

thanks

DTS please SONOS, almost all of my Blurays are DTS for a surround; and yes true discrete channels make a difference to sound quality 

I love the SONOS style and ecosystem but I cannot invest in your products full knowing that none of my Blurays will work...neither will I recommend to friends and family because of this

Please reconsider adding DTS, the format has been around nearly 20 years and cannot be that resource intensive with today’s standard ICs available

thanks

You can get bluray players that will transcode DTS to DD5.1.  I use xbox one personally.  That may not be acceptable to you, but it’s not exactly true to say Sonos can’t play blurays.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

... Sorry to me there is no excuse for the lack of DTS support, except corporate greed. I wish people would stop defending Sonos on this decision, it seems they only implemented it if enough people complain about it :-)

... Sorry to me there is no excuse for the lack of DTS support, except corporate greed. I wish people would stop defending Sonos on this decision, it seems they only implemented it if enough people complain about it :-)

People have been complaining about it for nearly 7 years, through the release of all 3 Sonos TV devices, in thousands of posts, in dozens of threads.  I highly doubt more complaints will have any effect on the decision.  

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Because people defend this silly omission constantly. Your kit would be worth more on the secondhand market to if DTS was on it...More people would want it, a bigger base of potential purchasers when you succumb to upgradeitus 

Stating facts isn’t defending Sonos decision on this.  I’m actually mostly neutral on this overall.  I can’t agree that the decision is based on corporate greed without knowing Sonos costs, profit margin, etc. around this area.