Answered

No TV audio on Sonos Beam

Hi Guys ... I just got my new Sonos Beam a few days ago and just got around to setting it up today. The set up on my Samsung UN55J6300 was pretty straight forward. The Sonos app walk through was pretty simple. I’m connected to my TV through my HDMI/ARC port.

The sound was great and then about an hour later when I came back to the TV, I’m not getting any sound from my Beam. I tried hitting the reset at the back of the Beam and the lights flashed but still no sound.
The Beam can play music from my Google Play account so I know the speaker is working.
I went to the TV setup section of my Sonos App and it will say that there’s an issue with the connection of my TV.
I’ve checked the HDMI ports and everything is plugged in securely. I’m using the HDMI cable supplied by Sonos.
I’ve checked to ensure that my Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) setting on my TV is turned ‘ON’. But yet, when I try to test the connection, it will say “Anynet+ not connected ... please try again”.
I’ve tried multiple times and I’m now completely frustrated ... especially since the Beam was working initially ... and then for some reason it stopped working. I’m not sure what changed. It’s like the Beam is no longer connected to the TV? But how is that possible when I didn’t touch or change anything?

Anyway ... can someone please help.

-Gerry
icon

Best answer by Jeff S 2 August 2018, 23:58

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Guys ... I just got my new Sonos Beam a few days ago and just got around to setting it up today. The set up on my Samsung UN55J6300 was pretty straight forward. The Sonos app walk through was pretty simple. I’m connected to my TV through my HDMI/ARC port.

The sound was great and then about an hour later when I came back to the TV, I’m not getting any sound from my Beam. I tried hitting the reset at the back of the Beam and the lights flashed but still no sound.
The Beam can play music from my Google Play account so I know the speaker is working.
I went to the TV setup section of my Sonos App and it will say that there’s an issue with the connection of my TV.
I’ve checked the HDMI ports and everything is plugged in securely. I’m using the HDMI cable supplied by Sonos.
I’ve checked to ensure that my Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) setting on my TV is turned ‘ON’. But yet, when I try to test the connection, it will say “Anynet+ not connected ... please try again”.
I’ve tried multiple times and I’m now completely frustrated ... especially since the Beam was working initially ... and then for some reason it stopped working. I’m not sure what changed. It’s like the Beam is no longer connected to the TV? But how is that possible when I didn’t touch or change anything?

Anyway ... can someone please help.

-Gerry

Hi Gerry,

Welcome to the community. Please try disconnecting the Beam from your TV, then power cycle the TV and reconnect the Beam to the HDMI ARC port. If that doesn't do the trick, try removing any other HDMI devices that are plugged into your TV, then test out the Beam. If that works, try reconnecting the HDMI devices one by one.

If you're still running into issues, please submit a diagnostic report and reply with the confirmation number.
I have experienced virtually the same issues with my Beam. After initially working, the sound stopped from the ARC connection. Same error messages from the app as noted above. Sound from the optical port is normal and is my current work-around to provide sound to my Beam. I have power cycled the TV and the Beam to no avail. I have changed HDMI cables to no avail. Any ideas?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have experienced virtually the same issues with my Beam. After initially working, the sound stopped from the ARC connection. Same error messages from the app as noted above. Sound from the optical port is normal and is my current work-around to provide sound to my Beam. I have power cycled the TV and the Beam to no avail. I have changed HDMI cables to no avail. Any ideas?

Please try removing any other HDMI devices you may have connected to your TV. Do you have the same issues when it's just the Beam connected? If so, try connecting the HDMI devices one at a time and see if any issues return. If so, please submit a diagnostic report and reply with the confirmation number.
Just an additional tip...the Samsung tvs seems to have a fairly good 'memory'. So when you do the power cycle step, instead of turning it off for a few seconds then turning back on, you may want to completely unplug it. That made the difference for me.
I agree with Danny (melvimbe). Most TVs keep their HDMI ports powered to maintain CEC even when turned off. In order to truly force a new handshake, you have to unplug the TV for a minute or two, then plug it back in.
I agree with Danny (melvimbe). Most TVs keep their HDMI ports powered to maintain CEC even when turned off. In order to truly force a new handshake, you have to unplug the TV for a minute or two, then plug it back in.

What is also a little head scratching with the Samsung smart TVs (at least mine anyway) is that when they are turned off, they cannot be turned on by wifi control. Which to me, defeats most of the value of wifi control. I suppose the answer would be to leave the TV on all the time. All completely irrelevant to the main topic though.
Ultimately, a longer power cycle on the Samsung TV and the new HDMI cable seemed to reset the ARC port. At some port I will change the cable back to the original HDMI cable that came with the Beam to see if that reproduces the problem....
My fear is that there is too much "voodoo" still in the CEC/ARC protocol, and too many devices with a poorly implemented version that doesn't meet standards. But that's just a guess.

I certainly think that Sonos' release of the Beam has brought a new level of audience participation to the system. 🙂
ARC seems to be operating fairly well. That is to say that transmitting audio and volume control works fairly well. It's the CEC that seems rather unreliable. That is to say the aspect of turning the TV on/off and switching inputs.

Ultimately, I don't think CEC is going to survive. There are products that do a good job of control through IR (Logitech, FireTV Cube). As well, it seems like smart tvs, with wifi, are pretty much the norm now. Control through wifi is likely to be the standard for control in the future, IMO.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
I have to agree with Melvimbe on this, CEC is flakey at best and annoying most of the rest of the time. I gave up with it when I installed my Beam as a Harmony Hub/Remote and the optical link to the Beam does a vastly better job then Anynet etc! Every piece of my entertainment collection has it turned off,
Had the same issue with my 5 year old Samsung. I discovered that it was my tv-box (a digital such) that made the Beam go silent, no matter what hdmi port I had the tv-box connected to. After I disconnected the tv-box I have no issues, I can switch back and forth between music on the Beam or my Apple TV. Clearly something that the tv box does that “mutes” the Beam as long as the tv box is connected via hdmi. I will try to let the tv be unplugged for a few minutes.
Have also been in contact with Samsung who told me they could remotely do a “re-write” of the hdmi ports, will try that as the next solution since I cannot live with the fact that I have to unplug the hdmi cable from my tv-box every time
Had the same issue with my 5 year old Samsung. I discovered that it was my tv-box (a digital such) that made the Beam go silent, no matter what hdmi port I had the tv-box connected to. After I disconnected the tv-box I have no issues, I can switch back and forth between music on the Beam or my Apple TV. Clearly something that the tv box does that “mutes” the Beam as long as the tv box is connected via hdmi. I will try to let the tv be unplugged for a few minutes.
Have also been in contact with Samsung who told me they could remotely do a “re-write” of the hdmi ports, will try that as the next solution since I cannot live with the fact that I have to unplug the hdmi cable from my tv-box every time

I have the same problem with my Beam, it's the tv-box that is the issue as far as I can see.
I have tried all solutions I could find in this forum and online, but nothing helps.

Any suggestions on how I can fix this. It's extremely annoying to have to unplug and then plug the HDMI to the digital tv-box every time I turn the TV back on.
I solved my problem by running Sonos Beam with the optical cable (that was included in the box). Works perfectly, only thing I had to do was to permanently mute my tv sound which I did in the settings of the TV.
I solved my problem by running Sonos Beam with the optical cable (that was included in the box). Works perfectly, only thing I had to do was to permanently mute my tv sound which I did in the settings of the TV.

Can you still controll the volume on the beam with the TV remote? I got problem with my Beam and Samsung Q8 Tv, and all I want is to controll everything with one remote, the one that comes with the tv 😕
Slaffke, I can control the volume on Beam via my Apple TV remote although the tv remote also works
I also had the same problem where it was working and after setting everything up the Samsung tv audio would cut out. Turning the tv off and on would give me up to ten seconds of sound. Switching to optical wasnt viable.

I tried resetting the device. Just hold connect button and power on. Hold until green flashes. Set everything up but DO NOT set up Alexa voice control.

Now my tv and Spotify work. I won’t return this as I rarely use Alexa and I figure a future update will eventually fix this. But really, this is a Samsung tv. It’s not an edge case guys.
It's not a Samsung issue, I have exactly the same problem with a Phillips tv
It's not a Samsung issue, I have exactly the same problem with a Phillips tvNo it’s normally a HDMI-ARC or CEC Control issue with other HDMI devices being allowed by the user to compete for CEC control ... or its sometimes user-error and not setting the TV/Peripheral Settings correctly.

There is a lot of information on this forum and elsewhere online to often solve most, if not all, the issues, but finding the cause of the problem is the first step to finding the answer.

I would at least begin by removing all the OTHER connected HDMI devices from the TV and turning off their CEC control features and testing each “one at a time”... to see which one is perhaps stealing focus.
Just received a Sonos beam for my birthday, connected to a JVC TV via ARC. As with other users, sound initially worked, now doesn't. No longer detects the arc connection even tho everything is plugged in. If I power cycle the TV, it briefly works but I have to set up everything each time. It seems it's incompatible with the Nvidia shield TV box. It's absolutely ridiculous to suggest unplugging other hdmi devices as these devices are providing the sound and vision for the beam. I wanted this specifically to improve the sound quality of movies, with the added benefit of standalone Alexa/Spotify. Now it's just a heavy piece of junk collecting dust. The optical connection isn't available so this thing is useless.

Hi,

I was having the exact same issue with my Samsung tv and Sonos’ beam, and was almost going to return it.
Then I found the below amazing tutorial and now it's perfectly working. 

Hopping this will be helping. 

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/enabling-cec-on-your-tv-for-beam-6810049#post16251595