No Stereo on Surround speakers

• 9 April 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge

5.1 Playbar Sub 2xPlay3 S2 Nvidia Shield 2019

When watching Stereo PCM via Nvidia Shield (IPTV, Tidal, Netflix etc) I get Stereo Upmix on my surround speakers (Play3s), but when watching SOME STREAMS on Twitch (also stereo PCM via Shield) I don't get no Sound on my Play3s. Some other Twitch Streams (also Stereo PCM) play the sound as expected on the Play3s. 

What is Twitch doing different about Stereo? Thanks! 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Badge

….

With Stereo/PCM audio, Sonos interprets which audio should go to the rear surrounds. If Sonos is receiving low quality audio, maybe there isn’t sufficient audio data for Sonos to send to the surround speakers. Garbage in, garbage out.

Only explanation I have for this...However my Playbar simply gets 2 Channel PCM 48KHz frm TV via Toslink. AFAIK Twitch should be at least based on Stereo mp3 128kbit…..Of course its only DJ Mixes, but I still can judge if the RnB is decent quality or not….From listening quality there should be no point not to use rear speakers :-(

Is there any way to see what kind of a signal Sonos is receiving other than just “PCM Stereo”?

Userlevel 7

I’m wondering if the Twitch streams that don’t produce any audio from the surrounds are just the result of lower quality streams due to lower bandwidth or inferior equipment and microphones.

With Stereo/PCM audio, Sonos interprets which audio should go to the rear surrounds. If Sonos is receiving low quality audio, maybe there isn’t sufficient audio data for Sonos to send to the surround speakers. Garbage in, garbage out.

Badge

Below Audio information, one stream with surround speakers are working with Stereo PCM, the other the surround not working with Stereo PCM.... Signal seems to be the same (2 channels 48.000).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jKkVmdyrhUwnzSjHA