Question

No Sound on DVD

• 31 December 2016
  • 8 replies

Hi I have just purchased a Playbar works great with Spotify and TV is great however my DVD and NOW-TV show picture ok but no sound .Connected optically to TV and HDMI to rest. Any ideas what i have or not done .

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Depending on how you have it all connected.... and making a few assumptions, It may be a function of your TV not being able to 'passthrough' the audio from HDMI to the Optical audio out. Check into the specs of your TV and you may need to work through a different way to get the audio signal working for you....
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The TV WILL be passing through audio from the HDMI inputs unless there is some TV fault. Probably, maybe it is the DVD outputting an audio format not compatible with the Playbar - DTS of DD+ would lead to silence. Check the audio output menu of the DVD player
The TV WILL be passing through audio from the HDMI inputs unless there is some TV fault. Probably, maybe it is the DVD outputting an audio format not compatible with the Playbar - DTS of DD+ would lead to silence. Check the audio output menu of the DVD playerAgreed. Also check your TV's audio output settings over optical. You may have to select DD5.1 or if not available then PCM.
I'm surprised by the Now TV problem though, as I thought they were still just stereo. Not sure of that. Plays OK through my TV and Playbar, FWIW.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The TV may need to be configured to output the audio via optical (in fact it WILL need to be, most likely!)
Thank you all for your ideas- I have tried several of your suggestions however it looks like Sonos don't support my Pioneer TV (PDP-4270XD)
I have seen the following -Is there a workaround?
"The Optical audio output . The Pioneer PDP-508XD(Not MY TV but may be the same) only has the capability to send audio from it's own internal tuner over optical and is incapable of carrying audio over from any external sources."
Thanks Guys Brian
You could potentially take HDMI from the DVD and Now TV and optical from the TV to a switch that takes both optical and HDMI inputs and has optical output - if you can find one. You could possibly get away with just an HDMI switch with optical out if your TV has ARC over HDMI. You might need both an HDMI switch and an optical switch to sort this out if TV doesn't have ARC
You need to check whether it supports the DVD formats. If not, you can copy the DVD to digital videos and play it on your TV, as well. http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/tips/convert-dvd-to-tv.html Tha's the quickest way to solve the problem. Hope it works for you.