No new Playbar? Really Sonos?

• 6 September 2019
  • 32 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10
All this R&D on the Move which I expect to be a niche product given it's price. Meanwhile the Playbar sits at $699 with no HDMI, dated looks, no voice control, no new audio codecs. Listen to the Verge podcast where they interview the Sonos CEO. They ask him why no new Playbar and he blows it off. At the end they make fun of it only having an optical port. It's just an insult to Sonos' customers. At least lower the price. Plenty of soundbars out there that do twice as much for half as much. Get rid of the Playbase and upsize the Beam. How hard can that be instead of designing a portable bluetooth speaker?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

New to Sonos and just purchased a Playbar to upgrade my current 5.1 setup. It was advertised as wireless but after reading this thread I’m learning that’s not quite the case and my TV doesn’t have an optical connection. My receiver does has an Optical Audio In only.

Is there any other option (aside from the Beam)? Could I use the Play: 5 as a center speaker?

Hi there,

If your TV has a digital coaxial output, you can use an adapter to turn that signal into an optical one for the Playbar. I used this setup with my old TV and it worked well. There’s likely an adapter available for an output that your TV supports.

New to Sonos and just purchased a Playbar to upgrade my current 5.1 setup. It was advertised as wireless but after reading this thread I’m learning that’s not quite the case and my TV doesn’t have an optical connection. My receiver does has an Optical Audio In only.

Is there any other option (aside from the Beam)? Could I use the Play: 5 as a center speaker?

How do you intend to use the Playbar with a receiver?  The Playbar is designed to replace a receiver.

How do you intend to use the Playbar with a receiver?  The Playbar is designed to replace a receiver.

New receiver that claimed to work with Sonos….thought it would be able to connect to all the speaker components. Guess I require a Sonos Connect (which I had never even heard of)…..

‘With Sonos Connect, the awesome home theater you’ve built around your Pioneer receiver can now be part of your existing Sonos Home Sound System, or the start of a new one. Instantly upgrade the music streaming capability of your home theater with Sonos Connect and a free firmware update. After a simple set up, your Pioneer A/V receiver will seamlessly tie into Sonos, instantly waking, changing inputs and playing at the volume you command through the familiar Sonos app.’

New receiver that claimed to work with Sonos….thought it would be able to connect to all the speaker components.

‘With Sonos Connect, the awesome home theater you’ve built around your Pioneer receiver can now be part of your existing Sonos Home Sound System, or the start of a new one. Instantly upgrade the music streaming capability of your home theater with Sonos Connect and a free firmware update. After a simple set up, your Pioneer A/V receiver will seamlessly tie into Sonos, instantly waking, changing inputs and playing at the volume you command through the familiar Sonos app.’

You misunderstand.  That receiver was made to interact with the Sonos Connect (and its replacement, the Port), enabling you to play Sonos through the app to the receiver.  It has nothing to do with Sonos’ other components.  I’m afraid you bought the wrong Sonos device.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I think the clue is in the phrase “With Sonos Connect...”. 

I think the clue is in the phrase “With Sonos Connect...”. 

I did mention I was new to Sonos (thought it might be an app). I cancelled my Playbar order

Tired of waiting around for Sonos Playbar 2.0. Decided to go with B&W Formation. It’s more expensive, but has a level of refinement that’s impressive. Airplay 2 and Bluetooth as well. 👍