Question

No audio from rear speakers when playing music on Xbox One

• 9 December 2016
  • 6 replies

Badge
Hey All,

I have an Xbox One and an Amazon FireTV hooked into ViewHD 3x1 switch (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U8WBOOG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) via HDMI.

I have the XBOX set to Bitstream (Dolby Digital), but when I play from apps that I'm assuming aren't 5.1 (Pandora, for example), I only get audio from the Playbar and Sub. No rear speaker audio. What am I doing wrong?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The full mode where the resrs work as stereo pair only works when running through Sonos music. All audio via optical input is always treated as surround and therefore if no info very little gets directed to tears.
Badge
The full mode where the resrs work as stereo pair only works when running through Sonos music. All audio via optical input is always treated as surround and therefore if no info very little gets directed to tears.

It also happens with some streaming apps. Is there no way to have it output 5.1 or stereo as backup automatically? Pardon my ignorance.

It also happens with some streaming apps. Is there no way to have it output 5.1 or stereo as backup automatically? Pardon my ignorance.

No, any input via the optical port is treated as is. A 5.1 source will play as 5.1, a stereo source as stereo. If you set the surrounds to Full in the settings and play Pandora via the Sonos app instead of the X-Box app, the surrounds will play as full range speakers.
Badge
No, any input via the optical port is treated as is. A 5.1 source will play as 5.1, a stereo source as stereo. If you set the surrounds to Full in the settings and play Pandora via the Sonos app instead of the X-Box app, the surrounds will play as full range speakers.

Understood and maybe this is more of an Xbox question than a Sonos question, but say I am watching something via the YouTube app. If the source video is not 5.1, I don't get stereo output from the Xbox. I still get "5.1" signal from Xbox to Playbar, but the rear speakers do not output any audio. My question is, is there a way to set my Xbox so that it outputs whatever type of audio the apps are feeding it, instead of forcing 5.1 or stereo?
X-Box output probably defaults to 5.1, but the source is still stereo. Not sure about how to make the X-Box default to native format.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
So xbox is sending a 0 audio to the surrounds. Be better set Xbox in these cases to stereo to send stereo to the playbar and three let it create a mix