No 5.1 from Nvidia Shield and Beam

Badge
Just got myself a Beam to go with my two Play 1s as rears.I think I have it working ok apart from the fact that when I select a 5.1 stream from the Netflix app on my Shield there is no sound.If I select an ordinary stream it plays fine.Any idea what I need to do.?Connections are via hdmi.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi cslogg, when you're getting no audio, can you check in the Sonos Settings > About Sonos and under the Beam room name it'll show the audio format that it's getting in. What does that show?

Are you able to change the Shield to send a different audio format? Usually, Netflix provides Dolby Digital + which should automatically convert to Dolby Digital 5.1 for Beam, but if it's not, try swapping to stereo to see if that plays better.

How does the audio get from the Shield over to the Beam? Is it passing through the TV? If so, what's the model of the TV? Does that TV have a Netflix app you can try out?
Badge
Ryan S, when I select 5.1 it comes up as "silence".When I select just the ordinary track it states "stereo"
The audio goes from Shield via a three year old Sony tv using hdmi.I believe the Shields formats are surround sound off,on or auto but someone else will know better than me.The tv does have a Netflix app which I tried sometime ago but it was painfully slow.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks, can you submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and reply back with your confirmation number when you're getting silence? Also, if you don't mind testing it out, can you try that Netflix app on the TV to see if the audio goes through fine?
Badge
Ryan S My diagnostics report confirmation is 651788181.I am unable to try Netflix at this time as I am only allowed it on one device which is my Shield so cannot try on tv,although I beleive there is a week trial I could try.
Badge
UPDATE.Just managed to get the Netflix app onto my tv and it does play 5.1.So It looks like its a Shield issue but I still do not know how to solve it.
Hi, I have a similar issue when using a fire TV stick through a Panasonic TV. Sound works for stereo but if I select a 5.1 soundtrack it just outputs silence. Beam sounds great but sure would like to get the 5,1 working. Watching the thread intently.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Cslogg, on that diagnostic the ARC isn't showing up, so the TV isn't sending audio to your Beam through the Shield. Can you check the Shield's audio settings to see what the output is set to? If possible try and send a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal. Also, what's the model number on your TV?

Hi, I have a similar issue when using a fire TV stick through a Panasonic TV. Sound works for stereo but if I select a 5.1 soundtrack it just outputs silence. Beam sounds great but sure would like to get the 5,1 working. Watching the thread intently.
Do you have any other sources that can try to send Dolby Digital from your TV to the Beam? What model Panasonic is that?

You may have to go into the sound menu on the TV and select the "Digital Audio Out" option and change it to "Bitstream". Also, make sure on the Amazon Fire TV under "Display and Sound settings", set Dolby output to Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby Digital 5.1.
Hi Ryan,

I have the same problem on a Panasonic TV playing Netflix using the inbuilt app. Only works if I select a non 5.1 audio output.

Both Beam and the TV detect presence of Audio ARC as the TV switches to Home Cinema Audio I.e HDMI ARC automatically and Beam turns on (green to white light)

I don’t have an external device connected. I’m using the App on TV.

It’s a Panasonic TX-40EX700B

Thanks
I just tried switching it on and off from Viera Link app and it now works!!

For any one else having this problem with Panasonic TV go to Apps then Viera Link. Switch it to TV then back to Home Cinema.

Seems to sync ARC correctly with Beam after that.
Hi Cslogg, on that diagnostic the ARC isn't showing up, so the TV isn't sending audio to your Beam through the Shield. Can you check the Shield's audio settings to see what the output is set to? If possible try and send a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal. Also, what's the model number on your TV?

Do you have any other sources that can try to send Dolby Digital from your TV to the Beam? What model Panasonic is that?

You may have to go into the sound menu on the TV and select the "Digital Audio Out" option and change it to "Bitstream". Also, make sure on the Amazon Fire TV under "Display and Sound settings", set Dolby output to Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby Digital 5.1.

Hi Ryan,

The model number is Panasonic TX-P42G20B. The Fire TV is set to 5.1 plus over HDMI (have tried with 5.1 over HDMI too) I have the Beam connected to the only hdmi that has ARC next to it. Looking through the TV settings I have changed all I can see in the Viera link settings to home cinema.

Amended model number typo

Cheers Tony
Hi,

I have an 58EX700 and I am also experiencing no playback on my beam when watching Netflix set to Dolby 5.1. My Sonos app says it’s getting ‘Dolby 2.0’ when playing but there is no playback. If I turn the tv speakers back on it plays fine on 5.1.

I get playback if I change the Netflix settings to ‘standard’ rather than 5.1.

I also can’t turn the tv on/off using the beam.

Help!
So I've had this problem too, new beam..... new Panasonic EX580 and had great 5.1 including from Netflix. Then all of a sudden it decides to give me no sound in 5.1 but only in normal audio. So I fiddle with the Viera link trying to turn it off and on, unplug the HDMI from the beam, turn it all off and on again and plug it back in and it gives me 5.1 again in Netflix.

So the question is...... why does it all of a sudden decide to not out put in 5.1 and how do I stop it from dropping and having to faff about turning things on and off and unplugging and plugging things back in again??
Badge
It seems that issue came from the fact that Netflix use EAC3 (Dolby Digital +) and the Sonos Beam does not decode this audio format regarding his cost. Just bought one and can't use Netflix in 2019, so desapointed
Hello everyone,

just in case:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/shield-tv/orig-development/netflix-amazon-5-1-hdmi-arc-optical-t3894442

HDMI Splitter --HDMI--> TV
Shield TV --HDMI--> HDMI Splitter
Sonos Beam --Optical--> HDMI Splitter

Without the hack:
no 5.1 from Netflix and Prime

With the hack:
Dolby Digital 5.1 from Netflix and Prime 🙂
Badge
I've been trying to get 5.1 audio from my nvidia shield tv to my sonos playbase with no luck. Can someone explain to me how to install the hack to get 5.1 audio?
Many thanks!