Scheduling Night mode sound for TV

• 29 October 2016
  • 25 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge
Is it possible to schedule the night mode sound setting. I would be nice to switch at 09:00PM till 09:00AM to night mode, and the other time in normal mode.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

25 replies

It's an interesting notion but, no, there's no means for the user to schedule Night Mode.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
+1 Easy to forget disable night mode next day
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Could perhaps be implemented as a timer if schedule is complicated to code. I suggest long pressing on the moon button should pop up a menu for timer. A schedule options I would prefer in the room settings. @Ryan N
Userlevel 1
+100 - I constantly forget to disable Night Mode. It's just subtle enough during the day to not be obvious so any kind of reminder/timer/schedule aspect would be immensely helpful.
This needs to happen!
Userlevel 3
Badge
Old thread, but i would like this also. Maybe an option to have Night mode™ disable itself the next morning automatically
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Agree. I have requested this too.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
2nd that! Or just let it reset if audiostream from tv cuts out.
Userlevel 1
Badge
This would be a great enhancement to add schedule night sounds. Also allow for Google home and Alexa switching this settings. This way you could easily talk about on and off when watching movies during the scheduled time frame. This would be a great enhancement for families with kids.
+10000 This need to happen Sonos! I just purchased my first playbar and sub and have to say, Damn!! Im impressed. However turning on the tv at 10pm seems to get me in trouble.... Please please allow to achedule night mode
I am also interested in a night mode sechedule. I have a beam, sub and 2 play ones. A night mode time that turns down the sub and enters night mode would be very handy. Please create.
Userlevel 1
I sent this up as a feature request too, but the more we ask for it and thumbs up suggestions asking for it, hopefully that will get it to the right set of eyes ?
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
I've only had my system for a few weeks and was surprised a feature like this for a system like this was absent.
Glad to see I'm not the only one in need.
Have you looked into doing this with IFTTT? It should be possible to work with a timer that If time = 7pm then Set Sonos to night mode?
Badge

Make it happen! 

Agree with this thread.  I always forget to turn it off and it sounds so much better with it off!

Sonos, PLEASEE ! add this feature!  I have a little daughter and I have to run on night mode every night, but since I always forgot to enable it, i leave it enable even in the Day :( 

Absolute must, just can't believe they still haven't done this. Surely it wouldn't be that hard?

Please get it done Sonos!

I have a Sonos Arc HT setup in the Living Room with an ‘echo dot’ nearby to where I sit and I use an Alexa routine to run at 9pm each day that works to set night mode on the Arc .. I’ve attached a screenshot of the ‘simple’ Alexa routine.

I set the routine to run on the Arc at 9pm which causes the TV audio to dip allowing the ‘dot’ to hear the instruction.

It’s far from being the perfect solution, as it needs another Alexa device in the room, it interrupts the viewing (albeit briefly) and there’s no voice instruction to switch off ‘night mode’, but at least it is a little bit of a workaround.

Anyhow +1 from me for being able to schedule this feature too.

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

I did not know you can turn in Night Mode by voice command. If I knew this would have done it a long time ago.

Now the question is does the voice command woth with Google Assistant as well .

So I'm assuming you have another routine set up for day time viewing that turns Night Mode off?

I did not know you can turn in Night Mode by voice command. If I knew this would have done it a long time ago.

Now the question is does the voice command woth with Google Assistant as well .

So I'm assuming you have another routine set up for day time viewing that turns Night Mode off?

Nope, (sadly) there’s no voice instruction to switch off night mode (as far as I’m aware) ...but (just for info) there is a voice instruction to enable speech enhancement too - "Alexa, switch to Speech Enhancement mode on [Sonos Room Name]”.

… but no instruction to turn that off either?

I don’t think the above instructions work with Google devices (sorry!)

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Good to know.

I already tried tell my Arc "Hey Google, Turn on Night Mode"

I hear back "Ok turning on Niki's Night Mode" followed by a tell from the bedroom from my wife who was applying make up when the bedroom like dimmed to 5%. LOL.

Also It appears you are correct. These instructions do not work with GA. Wonder why Sonos would only make them available to Alexa??

This feature would be so nice! 

Userlevel 1

Anyhow +1 from me for being able to schedule this feature too.

It is great, but it doesn’t seem there’s an Alexa command to toggle it back.  Has anyone found one?  For me, the item that is more important to be scheduled is the one you’re most likely to forget.  When my wife goes to bed, I know the Bass is too loud, and manually toggle on Night Mode.  The problem is that the next day, I’ll often forget to toggle it back.  I’d love to disable “night mode” every morning at 8a.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3514?language=en_US

Userlevel 1

NOTE:

Another community member directed me to the soco-cli GitHub project, which is a python-based API for Sonos.

There’s a lot of features, but I just created a simple crontab on my linux box to turn off night-mode every morning at 9 am.  Pretty happy, and good enough for me.  Works great.

Here’s the command for my room called “The Studio Sonos”

sonos "The Studio Sonos" night_mode off