Question

Newbie question.....please help!

• 13 November 2016
  • 2 replies

So I have a couple weeks of construction left before my basement will be finished. I have opted to go with the sound set up consisting of the playbar, sub, and two rear play 1's. Being that I have never had a sound system before, this is all new to me. One thing I have been reading about is that some tv's don't allow you to maximize the sound capabilities of the "5.1" set up because they play "down". This has me confused. Being that I will also be purchasing my new TV for the basement to use with the sonos setup in the next couple of weeks, is there a feature or option that I should be making sure my new TV would have to avoid this issue?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

The TV has to output Dolby from it's optical port in order to get true 5.1 from the Playbar + other Sonos units.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
You will be connecting your audio sources (DVR, Satellite box, Xbox Blu-Ray etc).

So you need to ensure the following:-

1) Your TV has an OPTICAL audio out - Most do now
2) Make sure your TV can PASS through audio of format Dolby Digital 5.1 (many don't - there is a large thread on here that is stickeyed that is worth reviewing)
3) Ensure your Input devices will send Dolby Digital 5.1 through the HDMI output - Probably only an issue with the Blu-Ray if you have it - Some can convert a DTS audio track on the fly to DD 5.1 but most cannot)