New products coming?

• 26 April 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I’m sure that in the past a temporary price reduction on product has then seen new product releases soon afterwards.

With the trade-in program generating some volume of sale of some of the current products, plus the price reduction on many items at the moment, and with the new controller app coming soon, will we see some new products soon, do you think? New HT products? New Play:3 and Play:5? Maybe even a Play:7? (I’m guessing at what a new, high-end speaker might be called!)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Indeed, Sonos are going to be holding a (virtual) announcement on 6 May. I would guess they will announce more details of the S2 update, and probably some new speakers.

I would question whether there is a place for a new Play:3 in the line-up given the surprisingly great capabilities of the One. It could be that the One is seen as ‘the’ speaker to get (at a great price, too) with the Play:5 being the idea thing to step-up to.

It seems almost certain that there will be a Playbar replacement, as they consistently market the Beam for smaller rooms and smaller TVs, and the Playbar is one of the oldest products currently still on sale.

There are rumours of a new, smaller Sub.

I am really in three minds about all of this - do I get a Sub, do I consider my neighbours and not get a Sub, or do I wait and get a (smaller, cheaper?) new Sub?

Decisions decisions...

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

There’s $150 off the Playbar and the Sub “while supplies last”…....

Userlevel 2
Badge

True - and we have already seen Amazon go completely out of stock.

However, there was also £40 off the Sonos One, One SL, and Beam last week. Those products have not been replaced, and it’s unlikely all of them will be, if any.

In other words, I think it’s a legal thing. I think that phrasing is not the right way to reach the conclusion that the Sub and Playbar will be replaced - instead I have set out a different line of thought which I think is more accurate.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Indeed, Sonos are going to be holding a (virtual) announcement on 6 May. I would guess they will announce more details of the S2 update, and probably some new speakers.

I would question whether there is a place for a new Play:3 in the line-up given the surprisingly great capabilities of the One. It could be that the One is seen as ‘the’ speaker to get (at a great price, too) with the Play:5 being the idea thing to step-up to.

It seems almost certain that there will be a Playbar replacement, as they consistently market the Beam for smaller rooms and smaller TVs, and the Playbar is one of the oldest products currently still on sale.

I am really in three minds about all of this - do I get a Sub, do I consider my neighbours and not get a Sub, or do I wait and get a (smaller, cheaper?) new Sub?

Decisions decisions...

Where did you learn of a 6 May announcement?  Link please. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Decisions decisions...

Where did you learn of a 6 May announcement?  Link please. 

It’s on their Twitter

https://twitter.com/sonos/status/1253820995930120202?s=21

True - and we have already seen Amazon go completely out of stock.

However, there was also £40 off the Sonos One, One SL, and Beam last week. Those products have not been replaced, and it’s unlikely all of them will be, if any.

In other words, I think it’s a legal thing. I think that phrasing is not the right way to reach the conclusion that the Sub and Playbar will be replaced - instead I have set out a different line of thought which I think is more accurate.

To me, the question is, if you are low on stock, and not confident you can maintain stock through the length of the sale, why bother putting the items on sale?  I mean, if the stock is moving fast enough without a sale, then you are only losing money by putting it on sale.  The Sonos One, One Sl, and Beam sale did not have the ‘while supplies last’ tag, so it’s seem they had significant stock.

I think you are correct, that there is a legal requirement to include the tag and it might mean nothing.    But it could be a sign that the old playbar is on the way out too.