Answered

New construction Sonos plan...

• 21 February 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge

Hi,

I am about to wire a tv room using a projector. An Arc or similar won’t work in the room due to placement issues, however, I am considering using 4-6 in-ceiling Sonos architectural speakers, a Sonos or other sub and a Sonos Amp for optimal home theater and music sound. Will this work? The Sonos Amp and the Apple TV will reside in a tech closet in the basement. I’d run raceway from the projector to the rack for future HDMI swap out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thx. 

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 21 February 2022, 02:14

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Ceiling speakers are not a good choice for fronts.  The should be in walls, flanking the screen or behing an acoustically transparent screen.

Userlevel 7

Using the suggestion by @jgatie you would need a second Sonos Amp to drive a pair of  in-wall speakers on rear wall or in-ceiling speakers directly over the seating area.

Another option for rears would be Sonos One x 2 or Sonos One SL x 2. The former would give you a choice of Alexa or Google voice assistants. Last option would be your own passive speakers wired to the Amp.

FYI, a Sonos sub can be bonded to the Sonos Amp driving the front in-wall speakers or a 3rd party sub could be wired to the Amp.

If you are looking to setup a 7.1 system with left, center, right and surrounds placed one on either side wall and two on rear wall with a sub you’ll have to go with another system and not Sonos. 

Badge

I’m bailing on the projectors. Going with a Sonos 5.1.2 setup using:

(1) Amp

(1) Arc

(1) Sub

(2) in-ceiling speakers as rear surrounds.

I’m bailing on the projectors. Going with a Sonos 5.1.2 setup using:

(1) Amp

(1) Arc

(1) Sub

(2) in-ceiling speakers as rear surrounds.

Since you said you wanted optimal setup, you should know that in-ceiling speakers are not ideal for rear surrounds.  The audio should be coming from behind you, not above. That’s especially the case when using an Arc that up firing speakers with dolby atmos channels coming at the listening area from above.

If you can, I would use in wall speakers or sonos ones.

Badge

Thank you Melvimbe!