Question

New Cinema room

• 17 January 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2

Hello all, 

A friend of mine is building a new house. He will have a nice cinema room. He wants to use a Sonos system for it. The Playbar or Playbase, the sub and rear speakers. 

Are the Sonos One (SL or just One) the only Sonos speaker that can be use as rear speakers? Can the Sonos Amp and Sonos In-wall / In-ceiling speakers be use for rear speakers with a PlayBar and sub? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Are the Sonos One (SL or just One) the only Sonos speaker that can be use as rear speakers? 

Hi

Please see this article on what speakers are supported as Surround Speakers: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2927?language=en_US

Can the Sonos Amp and Sonos In-wall / In-ceiling speakers be use for rear speakers with a PlayBar and sub? 

Please see this excellent table from @melvimbe :

Hello all, 

A friend of mine is building a new house. He will have a nice cinema room. He wants to use a Sonos system for it. The Playbar or Playbase, the sub and rear speakers. 

Are the Sonos One (SL or just One) the only Sonos speaker that can be use as rear speakers? Can the Sonos Amp and Sonos In-wall / In-ceiling speakers be use for rear speakers with a PlayBar and sub? 

If he’s going to all the trouble and expense of having a nice cinema room, why not put a real AV system in?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

My thoughts exactly. Integration into the Sonos system could be made possible via a Port.

Sonos only offers the types of soundbar and the Amp for homecinema. While very good for their purpose (bringing homecinema to smaller environments) a soundbar, or the Amp (that computes a center channel that isn't really there) is a compromise, influenced by limited space in most homes. A dedicated home cinema room would not benefit from this compromise space-wise, but would suffer the disadvantages of the compromise in sound quality. 

My thoughts exactly. Integration into the Sonos system could be made possible via a Port.

Sonos only offers the types of soundbar and the Amp for homecinema. While very good for their purpose (bringing homecinema to smaller environments) a soundbar, or the Amp (that computes a center channel that isn't really there) is a compromise, influenced by limited space in most homes. A dedicated home cinema room would not benefit from this compromise space-wise, but would suffer the disadvantages of the compromise in sound quality. 

This is what I would do as well.  Sonos is great for living rooms and such where you can’t put speaker wires behind walls and that sort of thing (which is most of the time), but you can get a much better system using passive speakers than wireless when you can plan ahead in a new home like this.  

I would absolutely use Sonos in other parts of the home, pretty much anywhere where  all I want is stereo audio or dolby digital.