Answered

Bonding surrounds to Arc issue

• 4 January 2021
  • 9 replies

New Arc with Sub and two One SL speakers unboxed today tried to set them setup and got nothing but irritation. The Arc connects through the app on android and I get sound from the TV through the Arc. I can connect the sub and speaker with the android app but when I try to add them to the Arc they simply will not connect. Everything is connected to the same subnet the android devices and all the speakers.  I have tried on two android devices, uninstalled the app and re-installed the app on both devices, restarting both android devices multiple time including between the uninstall, lost count of the number of times I have reset all of the Sonos components by powering them off and holding the connect button on power on. I moved the access point right next to the speakers, tried an ethernet connection directly to the speakers and restarted the access point several times nothing seems to work to get the sub and surround connected to the Arc. When I open the app on android in system to the right of the room I have the Arc connected to it showes the following "(+?+?+?). When I click on the room under products the Arc gives me the option to dissable WiFi but errors out every time I try to do so. The sub and surround show "X Remove Sub" and "X  Remove Surround" which I have tried again and again with the exact same results they just will not connect and give an error that it cannot connect. Needless to say I am extremely frustrated with the products and almost ready to throw in the towel and return them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 4 January 2021, 08:40

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7

Have you reset your router? Are you using a mesh network?

Yes I restarted my router that did not work. No I am not using a mesh network. 

Userlevel 7

Can you give more details about your wireless network setup?

It's a Cisco 2500 wireless LAN controller with two aironet access points. The switch which is handling the layer 3 routing is a cisco 3500.  I am using a netgate running pfSense as the firewall. I have just about 20 devices on the wireless network all working. 

Userlevel 7

Do you think pfSense could be blocking something?

Only if the traffice needs to hit the internet. If the traffice stays on the wireless subnet it does not hit the firewall or even do any routing. Do you know if the Sonos app or speaker need to use a phone home feature for the setup? This would be more of a Sonos support question but if the speaker do use a phone home what is the destination IP or IP range and ports for the external device they need to communicate with. 

If this is the issue  why did the  Arc setup work while the other speakers  do not? 

It's worth a look but may be more trouble than it's worth to get speakers setup.  

Userlevel 7

The Sonos app does access its servers for firmware updates during setup.

Since you have a more advanced network setup, it might be best to contact Sonos support over the phone. Or someone here with more knowledge on your type of network setup can assist you better than I can.

Good luck!

Userlevel 7

One more note: The fact that the Sonos app displays “(+?+?+?)” and “Remove Sub” and “Remove Surrounds” tells me that it knows the Arc is connected to a Sub and two surround speakers, but something is blocking the app from finding them.

I HATE EVERYTHING ABOUT SONOS! This is easily one of the worst product and customer experiences I have ever had. I called support and the first tech told me it was a network issue as soon as I told him I did not have a traditional setup, cable router WIFI all in one on a flat network, he did NO TROUBLESHOOTING before he wanted to get off the phone. I had to ask if he wanted a diagnostic at which point he put me on hold and hung up. He did ask me for a good number for a call back if we got disconnected at the start of the call but never bothered to call back.  My second call was only nominally better the support person gave it a good try and was very nice but told me I was basically S%!t out of luck and was on my own. So now I want to return this garbage and the customer support number, which has me on hold for at this point for over 60 minutes and counting, has a recorded message to process returns online. Great but my order is not online on the Sonos site (https://support.sonos.com/s/money-back-guarantee?language=en_US) and I can not initiate the return. SONO F’d me coming and going thanks happy new year. 

Sony, Samsun, Bose who wants to take my money next.