Answered

Need some help connecting my PS5 and LG CX to my Sonos Arc

• 13 September 2021
  • 29 replies

I have a Sonos Arc standalone with no other speakers or subs. I am almost tearing my hair out trying to solve the below conundrum for hours now.

My PS5 is connected to the HDMI 3 port on my LG CX. My Sonos Arc is connected to the LG CX through HDMI 2 (eArc port).

On my TV sound settings, I have enabled eArc. Digital sound-out is "pass-through". In HDMI Input Audio format, both HDMI 2 and HDMI 3 are set to PCM.

On my PS5, I have set "AV Amplifier----> 5.1 channel----> SOund output: Linear PCM".

Despite the above setting, the Sonos app is telling me its outputting Multichannel PCM 7.1 indicating I am missing 2 full channels of sound.

How do I fix this? I don't want to change the PS5 output to Dolby and HDMI 3 Input in TV settings to Bitstream as I have heard PCM is better than Dolby for gaming.

Can someone please help with this? What settings should I change to output 5.1 on my sound bar?

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 21 April 2022, 18:01

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

29 replies

Userlevel 7

The Arc currently has an issue down mixing PCM 7.1 to PCM 5.1. Sonos is aware of this down mixing problem and is currently working on fixing it.

The Arc currently has an issue down mixing PCM 7.1 to PCM 5.1. Sonos is aware of this down mixing problem and is currently working on fixing it.

OK so looks like I have to use Dolby to get it working but it seems there are 2 modes within Dolby which are confusing me. In HDMI Input Audio format, I set the PS5 input to bitstream and in the PS5 Audio output to Dolby. Now I have 2 options here. When I set the digital sound output on my TV to Pass-Through, the Sonos indicates its receiving a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal but when I set it to Pass-through, I get a “Dolby Multichannel PCM 5.1” on my Sonos app. Which would be better for gaming?

Userlevel 7

Usually multichannel PCM is the better option, but go with whatever sounds the best to your ears.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have almost the same setup, but with an LG G1. I have been playing Sekiro on the PS5 with Dolby Digital 5.1 using Passthrough settings, it’s great! But I have 2 rear Sonos Ones as well. Figured I’d at least offer that. I haven’t tried the other route. But agreed with GuitarSuperstar, try them out and go with what works well for you.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

So what are the suggested settings on both the PS5 and LG CX? 

Does anything need to be changed when playing DTX Blu rays on the PS5?

Recently got a PS5 and noticed the 7.1 downmix issue too. I set my PS5 output to Dolby and C9 input to auto and it sounds ok, no atmos but hopefully this bug fix will resolve that.

Is there a thread for this bug and it’s incoming fix that I could follow? Couldn’t find anything 

Switch both your HDMI 3 and PS5 to Bitstream and your problem should be solved 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Recently got a PS5 and noticed the 7.1 downmix issue too. I set my PS5 output to Dolby and C9 input to auto and it sounds ok, no atmos but hopefully this bug fix will resolve that.

Is there a thread for this bug and it’s incoming fix that I could follow? Couldn’t find anything 

There won't ever be Atmos in PS5 games - Sony uses a proprietary audio engine for its games, meaning that LPCM would normally be the correct option for PS5 gaming. However, Sonos is not downmixing the 7.1 track to 5.1 correctly atm, and that's why folks are falling back to Dolby. The PS5 offers Atmos playback in the disk player only, not in games or the media apps (to my knowledge).

Badge

Any idea when this alleged fix is coming?  Stuck using Dolby digital until lpcm gets fixed.

Any idea when this alleged fix is coming?  Stuck using Dolby digital until lpcm gets fixed.

No idea. Sonos has stopped responding to forum messages. 

Badge

I have the same tv the same arc set up and ps5

What is currently best settings for me please. 

I’ve got the sub, arc, and two re surrounds. 

is it Dolby digital for now until this spoke about fix. And then so I set both ps5 to pcm and also my tv to pcm when it’s fixed. 

bit confusing for me? 

aporeciate any help if someone has same set up and can tell me what settings on the ps5 to use right now and also on the tv in full. 

thanks, Peter

also, this fix does that mean the 7.1 will work with the Sonos arc in lpcm or Dolby. I’m hearing lpcm is better eventually when sonos fix it. 

Badge

Also do I select soundbar on ps5 as it’s a soundbar or AV Amplifier cheers 

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Also do I select soundbar on ps5 as it’s a soundbar or AV Amplifier cheers 

Select AV Amplifier. The reason is because then the PS5 lets you choose if you want 5.1 or 7.1 (choose 5.1)

Badge

I selected what you said AV amplifier and pass through on the Tv etc. i changed it all to Dolby  including PS5 and 5.1 and also Dolby on the TV AS WELL AS Passthrough etc. am I right I’m assuming this is the best setting that is possible at this current moment for me on PS5, cx tv and Sonos ARC. 

Will it be the case, or promise of Sonos that they are going to allow PS5 users to choose LPCM 5.1 and have it outputting correct. It worked ok on PS4 I think this way. 

If I select PCM on ps5 and AV on 5.1 and pass through! What happens to the sonos arc? Does that not put out 5.1 Lpcm?

Badge

And how do we ask Sonos what to do? 

Badge

Switch both your HDMI 3 and PS5 to Bitstream and your problem should be solved 

I underStand everyone is saying select Dolby bitstream now like above and LPCM does not work on PS5 and Sonos ARC. LPCM I THOUGHT was best setting can the arc not handle 5.1 pcm sent from the ps5? I use pass through on my cx oled TV, so arc is receiving direct 5.1 pcm from ps5, does this not work? 

Badge

There won't ever be Atmos in PS5 games - Sony uses a proprietary audio engine for its games, meaning that LPCM would normally be the correct option for PS5 gaming. However, Sonos is not downmixing the 7.1 track to 5.1 correctly atm, and that's why folks are falling back to Dolby. The PS5 offers Atmos playback in the disk player only, not in games or the media apps (to my knowledge).

But why select 7.1 for the sonos arc anyway when it states it’s only a 5.1 sound bar? I’m assuming you have an Sonos arc? I don’t know why people are selecting 7.1 to downmix

Badge

PS, I’m only using the ps5 for games can’t I just use 5.1 pcm with Sonia arc and it would work ok? How does the 5.1 setting Downmix to 7.1 makes no sense this 7.1 issue on a Sonos arc as it’s 5.1

Badge

So Dolby digital is only way at moment of getting 5.1 from a ps5 on an arc? If you select 5.1 on ps5 pcm why is the arc down mixing to 7.1 is that not upmixing? 

Sorry If i am Posting Wrong is there adding a bass speaker in the mini theater Room is Good or not.? Or Buying  a New Model Which one will be Fit Budget Is not a Big Deal. :sunglasses:

What is the ‘mini theater room’? In general, all Sonos ‘rooms’ of any type would benefit from the addition of a subwoofer, especially home theater installs, due to the use/reliance of most movies on a substantial amount of low frequency energy, most especially in action movies.

There’s really only one subwoofer currently sold by Sonos, which can be added to any of their S2 speakers (and I think S1, but I don’t run that anymore, so I’m not 100% sure). 

Badge

Guys can we keep this on the main thread title please. Could always open a new thread 

Badge

Does anyone know or heard anything from Sonos yet about the mixing issue. 

few little questions. until it’s all fixed and updated. 

1. What is best way to connect PS5 (currently using the 65 CX OLED), is it still by Dolby digital for games? Or LPCM for games. (I don’t use the PS5 for movies yet)

What I mean is this to be set on lpcm or DD on tv and then pass through etc for games only)

or even games I should use DD choose Av Reciever and 5.1 and the same settings on tv switched to DD and pass through 

1. my other input is a BT TV PRO 4K HD.      SO can anyone tell me settings from BT Box (I have surround set now and highest 10 bit on by box), and then what to select on tv DD or LPCM as input and also is it AUTO and then pass through. 

would be grateful to know optimal settings for these two hdmi inputs in there entirety for now and also woukd I change these for further Sonos updates. Cheers  

Hello, I have a big problem with my Sonos Arc, LG G1 and Ps5 using blu-ray UHD.

My PS5 is connected to my LG tv via hdmi3 port (set in bitstream on my tv),  my LG G1 is connected to my Sonos Arc via HDMI 2 with eArc enabled (set in bitstream on my tv). Passthrough enabled. The problem is that now I cannot hear any dolby audio track in most of all my blu rays UHD...could you tell me please the best setting options on my PS5 and LG G1? I called the Sonos help line but unfortunately it didn't work. I usually hear the dolby tracks (but not the DTS tracks..) but now i can’t hear them anymore and I don’t know why...thank you in advance...

Userlevel 7

Hello, I have a big problem with my Sonos Arc, LG G1 and Ps5 using blu-ray UHD.

My PS5 is connected to my LG tv via hdmi3 port (set in bitstream on my tv),  my LG G1 is connected to my Sonos Arc via HDMI 2 with eArc enabled (set in bitstream on my tv). Passthrough enabled. The problem is that now I cannot hear any dolby audio track in most of all my blu rays UHD...could you tell me please the best setting options on my PS5 and LG G1? I called the Sonos help line but unfortunately it didn't work. I usually hear the dolby tracks (but not the DTS tracks..) but now i can’t hear them anymore and I don’t know why...thank you in advance...

On the PS5, make sure the HDMI Device Type setting is set to AV Amplifier, not Soundbar.

When watching DTS-encoded Blu-ray discs, Audio Format (Priority) should be set to Linear PCM. If you prefer lossy DTS Digital Surround audio from DTS discs, change this setting to DTS.

When watching Dolby TrueHD/Dolby Atmos encoded Blu-ray discs, change Audio Format (Priority) to Dolby.

When watching Blu-ray discs, there is another audio setting that must be adjusted when you start the disc. Tap the Options button on the controller, select the “…” and change the Audio Format setting to Bitstream for Dolby-encoded discs. Change this setting to Linear PCM for Multichannel PCM audio from DTS-encoded discs. Change this setting to Bitstream for DTS Digital Surround audio from DTS-encoded discs.