My work around 5.1 via HDMI, Playbar.

• 16 September 2017
  • 43 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

43 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Got it, tried it, didn't work. Still stereo only, no 5.1. Sony 65" Class Ultra-Slim 4K Ultra HD LED Smart TV MODEL: XBR65X900C

Not a valid test
It didn't work for you because the TV's internal tuner (OTA) and the Netflix app don't run through a HDMI handshake. They're not external HDMI sources; they're internal to the TV and governed by a different set of rules. IOW, you changed the car headlamp bulb when the problem is a flat tyre. lol

The problem that Keithmac's solution fixes only affects sources connected to the TV by the HDMI ports. The problem is exactly as he describes; the TV presents as a 2 channel sink device, and so it receives only a stereo PCM signal from the source devices. That means that the optical only ever outputs PCM stereo.

A TV's internal tuner and its internal apps are independent of any HDMI handshake. The optical on most smart TVs will provide DD5.1, but only if the tuner or app is playing something with DD5.1 as the sound.

All sources are not equal
Freeview channels that carry DD5.1 aren't that common. Channel 5 HD does, but the audio stream can also be affected by the programme being played at the time. Not all programmes on Ch5 HD have DD5.1

Netflix picture and audio format is variable too. Partly it's down to the broadband speed but also governed by the player device's capabilities. I have read about higher-end TVs that only receive 720p with stereo audio because the manufacturers prefer to guarantee fairly stable streaming in preference to high resolution with multichannel audio.

RO53BEN's alternative solution of a tweak to the TVs service menu is interesting.
BTW the Triax Free Set Box I'm using is set to Bitstream in the Audio Settings. The only other option is stereo.
Got my EDID emulator yesterday and connected it up on the HDMI line between my free sat box and my Samsung TV. Unfortunately it didn't work. Rather than getting stereo I got complete silence! In the audio settings on my TV I only had the option to select PCM or DTS. Dolby was blanked out. I tried unplugging the TV and the free sat box and tried every setting on the emulator A to M. I reversed the direction of the emulator and tried it in both HDMI inputs to the TV but could get absolutely no sound once so ever. I guess either the emulator is faulty (unlikely) or it just isn't compatible with my Smart TV. Any suggestions on what might be wrong? Once I plugged the free sat box back directly into the TV I had stereo sound restored. Very frustrating - €30 waste including postage on the EDID emulator plus additional HDMI cable.
Badge
I appreciate you taking the time to try to help. I'll go through the audio menus on both the TV and cable box ASAP to try to provide a comprehensive answer to your question. The cable box is set to the Dolby 5.1 menu option. One thing I do know is that once I have set the TV audio to the outside surround source, pretty much all other pertinent audio menu options can't be affected. I just get a message saying that it only is used for TV speakers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
Yep in/ out doesn't matter, I have mine on E and it works well.

Have you got an Audio menu on your source device?, you'll have to select Dolby output in there as well (it will allow it as it sees the TV as a 5.1 device).
Badge
There doesn't appear to be a particular orientation that the device is installed. 'Audio in/out' is indicated on both ports. It can go either way. Am I interpreting that correctly?
Badge
Clicked through them all. On position 'E' at the moment.
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
What setting did you use?.
Badge
I get only 'stereo' indicated. Tried several movies on Netflix and a couple of OTA stations.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
What did you get? What source are you trying to get 5.1 from?
Badge
Got it, tried it, didn't work. Still stereo only, no 5.1. Sony 65" Class Ultra-Slim 4K Ultra HD LED Smart TV MODEL: XBR65X900C
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I use position "E", 1080p with 5.1 Dolby although it does pass through higher resolutions without issue.

Let me know if you need any help.

It will allow 4k, but only at 30Hz. Most modern 4k applications, like games consoles and UHD blu-ray, use HDMI 2.0 and 4k/60 which this does not support.
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
I use position "E", 1080p with 5.1 Dolby although it does pass through higher resolutions without issue.

Let me know if you need any help.
Thanks for this info. I'm going to buy the "kwmobile HDMI EDID Manager to audio and video control" to try and get dolby 5.1 passed through my Samsung SMART TV from my sat box to my playbase. Will be a relatively cheap fix if it works.
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
You do need an extra HDMI cable (forgot to mention), I bought some 30cm short ones for £3 a piece.

The boxes are small and once fitted you don't need to touch them again.

They do some 4k TV modes.

There are other EDID emulators about, I can't comment good or bad as I haven't used them.

The kwmobile units have been faultless for me so far.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Thanks Keithmac

I've heard of this device twice now and sounds promising.

I have a samsung tv that does not pass DD 5.1 from external sources via optical
And as o have my tv and bar wall mounted with all cables behind the wall, i've been reluctant to get an hdmi splitter. This may solve my problem.

Thanks muck
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
OK, answered my own question.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/kwmobile-Manager-audio-video-control/dp/B01M3SH3CL

So they don't need a power supply but you need a £20 adapter and an extra HDMI lead for every connection? You have a lead from the blu-ray player to the adapter and another from the adapter to the TV? Not what I'd call seamless if I'm honest.

I also notice it doesn't support decent HDMI 2.0 or 4K60. Is there a newer model that's more modern?
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I've seen you mention these EDID emulators a few times. Do they require a power supply? Got a link for such a device?

Worth mentioning that my LG TV didn't pass through 5.1 but it took 10 seconds in the service menu of the TV to enable it - no adapter required for that.