My Playbar setup with Down and Out Mount, HDMI switcher, Harmony remote (long)

• 23 January 2014
  • 42 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

42 replies

Badge
Top of mantle is 58 7/8" above floor
Playbar bottom is 3" above mantle
Bottom of TV is 8 1/2" above mantle
Mantle depth is 4", but the tv mount is recessed and the depth of recessed area is 5"
The bottom ledge of the recessed area is 10 3/4" above the mantle.

The recession measurements factor into the equation of how much travel you will get from the down and out mount, but I can't remember how. If I remember correctly, the bottom of the recessed area is considered the mantle, so it would be considered a 5" mantle depth. It's in the manual online.

Hope that helps!
Badge
Thank you!

I''m looking at a shorter mantel (49"), so the bottom of the TV would be about 53" off the floor, so not quite as high as yours. Not sure I need the traveling mount, but a good option to consider as I get further into this.

I think either way I'd look to mount the playbar above the TV on the wall. My only concern would be if the height would impact the sound. The bottom of the playbar would be just over 7 feet off the floor (about 86"). It would be mounted with the connector panel on top so the drivers would be angled down into the room at 45 degrees (ceiling is about 8ft, 9 inches high).

Anybody have their playbar mounted this high and have any feedback?
mclemens68,

There are some conflicting goals. Visually, you want what you want and there might be some physical considerations for mounting above or below the TV.

From an acoustic standpoint, you would like the tweeters to be approximately at ear level.

For sitting and viewing the picture, a very high or very low location may result in some long term neck discomfort. Viewing the picture straight on is the best plan. Of course, if this is a party space, placing the picture at a seated eye level will limit the viewing area because of all the bodies.
Userlevel 2
Rash, I found your post very helpful. We just completed a fireplace remodel and mounted the tv above it. I also used the down and out mount and followed your advice with the Sewell mount to mount the playbar mount below the tv. Trouble is that the Sewell mount slides downthe back of the tv and won't stay in place leaving a 3 inch gap between the tv and playbar. And the playbar seems pretty wobbly and fell off on one end when we tried to decrease this distance. It seems that Sewell may have changed the design of the mount as it is more curved than that in your photos and that may be part of the problem. What type of screws did you use to attach the Sewell mount to the playbar mount? Thanks!
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
I'm intrigued. Is the fireplace entirely cosmetic? If you used a real fire with the TV down the Playbar could get toastier than a marshmallow on a stick.

I heard gas fireplaces are a lot safer in the heat regard than traditional wood burning. My play at and TV have been mounted above ours without any issue
In my experience smoke, not heat is the issue. If you can comfortably place your hand at the proposed TV location while a fire is burning, there is no temperature issue. Most units will tolerate a 100°F ambient.
Badge
Rash, I found your post very helpful. We just completed a fireplace remodel and mounted the tv above it. I also used the down and out mount and followed your advice with the Sewell mount to mount the playbar mount below the tv. Trouble is that the Sewell mount slides downthe back of the tv and won't stay in place leaving a 3 inch gap between the tv and playbar. And the playbar seems pretty wobbly and fell off on one end when we tried to decrease this distance. It seems that Sewell may have changed the design of the mount as it is more curved than that in your photos and that may be part of the problem. What type of screws did you use to attach the Sewell mount to the playbar mount? Thanks!

I did have to use different screws and nuts, but i don't remember the size. i think I took them to Home Depot and sized out what needed. I was able to get the Playbar flush up against the TV. It's a two person job - one to push the Playbar up against the TV, one to tighten the bolts while it is help up. You're right - if it's not tight up against the TV, the playbar will sway as the brackets are fairly thin.

Here is a pic of the the bracket screw and nut. That thin white line at the top of the pic is the TV bottom, not space -(it has a 1/2 clear plastic bottom).

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn160/richmod/Mobile%20Uploads/0198F023-F59F-408A-A1FD-51CB0B9D5C32.jpg
You might consider putting on some lock washers to prevent the nut from becoming loose (which it will, eventually.) Star washers should be available at any hardware store.
Badge
Redwood4 - I re-read your post, and it sounds like you mean that the brackets are slipping down from the under the bolts that connect it to the back of the TV.. If that is the case, then my picture doesn't help. I don;t have an answer because I don't have that problem. I just had someone hold the Playbar up against the TV and tightened the bolts until it didn't drop down. Hasn't dropped since.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Is it recommended to use any form of active HDMI cable for a run that is 30 feet or so? Also is it better with a premium kind of optical cable or just basic ones (mono price has both but not sure if one is better for 25-35 feet lengths)
Badge
Is it recommended to use any form of active HDMI cable for a run that is 30 feet or so? Also is it better with a premium kind of optical cable or just basic ones (mono price has both but not sure if one is better for 25-35 feet lengths)

I did go with an active HDMI cable and a higher end optical cable just to be safe - 50 ft each, $140 and $60 respectively. No problems or issues.
Userlevel 2
Thanks for the Star Washer idea. I will give that a try. Probably need to replace the screw too as it seems almost stripped.
Rash,
Any problems with the weight of your playbar and the down and out mount?
You mentioned that you had to buy shorter screws for the Playbar at Home Depot. Can you tell me exactly what you needed (how many screws and dimensions)? I'm doing the exact same thing you have posted. Beautiful setup!