My Playbar setup with Down and Out Mount, HDMI switcher, Harmony remote (long)

• 23 January 2014
  • 42 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

42 replies

Userlevel 2
Thank you for the write up! Are you also receiving 5.1 when using the tv's apps (netflix etc..)? What about when using the tv's browser?

Thanks!
Badge
I just wanted to say thank you for such a detailed write up. This will help me tremendously with my playbar install.

Your welcome! Glad it helped.
Userlevel 2
I just wanted to say thank you for such a detailed write up. This will help me tremendously with my playbar install.
Badge
Still work for me as well.
Was trying to access the pictures but link is not working.
The links still work for me. Try flushing your browser cache.
Userlevel 2
Was trying to access the pictures but link is not working. Would you mind sharing the pictures again?
That is a nice setup. I have owned lots of expensive remotes over the years, some upwards of $500 and without a doubt the Harmony Smart Control, for which I paid $104, is the best remote I have ever owned. After having one for less then a week I bought 2 more. The simplicity and ability to work well with little work on the users part is amazing.
Badge
The Harmony Smart Control remote itself is RF only. It sends an RF signal to the hub, which then does the IR emitting. Since the Playbar is not in the same room as the hub, we needed the emitter. If all your components are located in the same room as the hub, you wouldn't need the emitter. Or you could buy Logitech's top level remote, the Harmony Ultimate, which does have remote IR capability, but it is $200 more, and uses a touchscreen. I have 2 kids and a dog - in my house, that touchscreen wouldn't last a week. Besides, with RF and an emitter, you don't need line of sight.It's nice not having to point the remote at the Playbar.
rollo131,

When possible, I recommend using an RF controlled emitter rather than direct IR. If there are several IR commands in a macro, the user often redirects the remote before all of the commands are emitted from the remote. This can leave the system in an undefined state and frustrate the user.
Userlevel 2
Was it necessary to use an emitter to control the Playbar volume? Couldn't you have programmed it to receive an IR signal directly from the remote? Or does the Smart Hub not allow that configuration? i.e., all devices must receive RF signals?
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
Very Nice!!!

Thanks for sharing!
Badge
I'm intrigued. Is the fireplace entirely cosmetic? If you used a real fire with the TV down the Playbar could get toastier than a marshmallow on a stick.

We have a stone wood-burning fireplace in another room in the house, so we never really used this one (gas). That being said, in the up position, the TV would be fine - not much heat at all above the mantle. It definitely wouldn't be a good idea to use the fireplace with the TV in the down position!
I'm intrigued. Is the fireplace entirely cosmetic? If you used a real fire with the TV down the Playbar could get toastier than a marshmallow on a stick.
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
I'm impressed! Thanks for sharing.