Answered

My LG OLED remote has stopped working with Sonos Arc

• 2 July 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge

Hello

I have an LG OLED65CX6LA TV connected via eARC to a Sonos ARC purchased last November. Working perfectly during all this time. It is connected to a Sub and two Play3 as rear speakers.
Since yesterday the remote control of the TV has stopped working and I have to adjust the volume of the bar with the iPhone or with the touch buttons on the bar. The TV remote works perfectly with the internal speakers of the TV. I have changed the HDMI cable to rule out a malfunction of it. I have reset the bar to factory values ​​but the problem persists. For a while the remote worked but the sound switched between the bar and the TV's internal speakers.

The sound from the bar is still perfect and I can comfortably watch movies in Atmos and Dolby Digital. But I can't adjust the volume. The only way to do this is to watch TV through a second-generation Apple TV 4K. The Apple TV remote works perfectly through the IR port of the ARC.

The TV updated WebOS a couple of days ago but the problem appeared yesterday.

Anyone else with this problem? I'm seriously thinking of training my cat to turn the volume up and down on the touch buttons.

TV data
Web OS 4.40.10

ARC data

Sonos OS: S2
Version: 14.10 (Build 68330100)
Hardware version: 1.32.1.6-2.2

Thanks in advance.

Julio

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 3 July 2022, 17:17

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

It’s happened in the past where a TV update switches the remote from IR back to the ‘magic’ connection, but as your system should be using ARC, and not IR, I’d be tempted to reboot the TV’s OS by unplugging it from the wall for two minutes. At the same time, just for kicks, unplug the Arc as well…

Once you plug them back in after that two minutes, give them a bit to reload their respective operating systems, then test again.

Frankly, it may not hurt to check both the TV and the Sonos system for further updates, too. 

I'm seriously thinking of training my cat to turn the volume up and down on the touch buttons.

Be careful what you wish for. I have a friend with a cat who has figured out how to play music on the SONOS system. Recently, during a conference call, my friend had to interrupt the call to turn down the  suddenly loud music.

@jrsvq

If a reboot of both TV & Arc doesn’t fix it, (I think you need to leave an LG TV powered off for 10 minutes to cause the WebOS to restart) then perhaps try toggling off/on ‘Simplink’ on the TV and when it’s ‘on’ goto the ‘TV Setup’ in the Sonos App ‘Settings/System/[Arc Room Name]‘ and go through that and toggle off Infrared on the Arc. 

If still no joy, then ensure Sonos is set as the manufacturer for the soundbar on HDMI-2 in the TV’s device connector and ensure ‘instant game response’ is switched off for HDMI-2.

Hope something mentioned above helps to fix things for you.

Badge

Thanks for your help.

I have disconnected the power of the TV and the ARC for about 20 minutes or more but nothing changes. I have disabled Simplink and re-enabled it. The problem continues.

After the disconnection the TV took a long time to have the services available so I think there has been an effective restart of the TV.

Another thing that strikes me is that before, when the TV and the bar worked perfectly, when I selected HDMI 2 the TV showed Sonos graphics. Now the screen is black. However the sound is still good and delivering the right codecs: Atmos, DD, PCM Stereo. In streaming services, Live TV, Apple TV, bluray...

I think that the solution that remains for me is to put the TV in factory values. It doesn't make sense because I haven't touched the TV settings for a long time.

Any suggestion?

Greetings.

Julio.

Thanks for your help.

I have disconnected the power of the TV and the ARC for about 20 minutes or more but nothing changes. I have disabled Simplink and re-enabled it. The problem continues.

After the disconnection the TV took a long time to have the services available so I think there has been an effective restart of the TV.

Another thing that strikes me is that before, when the TV and the bar worked perfectly, when I selected HDMI 2 the TV showed Sonos graphics. Now the screen is black. However the sound is still good and delivering the right codecs: Atmos, DD, PCM Stereo. In streaming services, Live TV, Apple TV, bluray...

I think that the solution that remains for me is to put the TV in factory values. It doesn't make sense because I haven't touched the TV settings for a long time.

Any suggestion?

Greetings.

Julio.

I think you mentioned you have tried a different HDMI cable - that would have been my suggestion as it needs to be 1.4+ with heac support, but I would opt to reset the soundbar first and if that doesn’t solve it, then just do an A/V reset on the TV, which IIRC is accessed via pressing the mute button 3 times on the magic remote with most LG TV’s.

Then resort to the TV reset as a very last resort perhaps?

Badge

Hello again.

I finally got it!!!

In another topic I found something that might work:

Disconnect all HDMI except ARC. Something that would make sense because the LG remote is capable of handling other connected devices. After turning the TV off and on with all devices disconnected nothing seemed to change.

Then I read Ken Griffiths answer. I press the mute button three times quickly and a new menu appeared with the A/V Reset option. I selected it. Nothing seemed to change. I turned off and on again. Perhaps the TV needed to recognize changes in the restart. Nothing at all. I activated the SIMPLINK again and also activated eARC, nothing.

So I started reconfiguring the video modes for Live TV, and streaming apps. Everything had gone back to default modes and now I had to set all the custom settings. I was resigned to control the volume with the Apple TV remote via IR in ARC.

I have a Bluray Pioneer, an Apple TV 4K and a Playstation so I connected all the HDMI of these devices. When I turned on the Bluray to set the video settings suddenly a message appeared from LG saying that the Magic Remote was ready to control this device and then the same message appeared for the rest of the devices. Including Sonos!!!. This message does not appear when connecting the devices. It does when you turn on the first one.

Also, now when I select HDMI 2 on the TV, the Sonos illustrations come back. There was definitely some kind of conflict in the TV's eARC port.

Thank you all and especially Ken. I hope this message will be useful to others. (And excuse my English, I write from Spain).