Question

Multi channel stereo

• 14 December 2017
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Hi,
In a configuration playbar + 2 play 1 as surround, is it possible to have always a multichannel stereo configuration always? I mean music and TV?
Because of noisy neighbors I need to always have audio also in the surround.
Thank you
Camillo

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Not really sure what you mean with regards to TV playing. Do you want the same "center" channel data with the voices coming out of the surround speakers? That's not really possible in the current surround setup. However, for music and surrounds, you can go in to the room settings/advanced settings for the surround speakers where you can set them to Full, rather than Ambient.

However, if you're really interested in having the TV voices come out of the "surround" speakers, I'd maybe make a recommendation to you, although it comes with an issue, which may be too much for you to deal with.

Conceivably, you could unbond the surround speakers and make them a stereo pair, with their own room name. Then you could group that room with the PLAYBAR room. There would likely be a 70ms delay, so it might sound like you're in a stadium, if you can hear both the PLAY:1s and the PLAYBAR at the same time.

I think it really depends on what's important to you, and how noisy the neighbors are.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Not really sure what you mean with regards to TV playing. Do you want the same "center" channel data with the voices coming out of the surround speakers? That's not really possible in the current surround setup. However, for music and surrounds, you can go in to the room settings/advanced settings for the surround speakers where you can set them to Full, rather than Ambient.

However, if you're really interested in having the TV voices come out of the "surround" speakers, I'd maybe make a recommendation to you, although it comes with an issue, which may be too much for you to deal with.

Conceivably, you could unbond the surround speakers and make them a stereo pair, with their own room name. Then you could group that room with the PLAYBAR room. There would likely be a 70ms delay, so it might sound like you're in a stadium, if you can hear both the PLAY:1s and the PLAYBAR at the same time.

I think it really depends on what's important to you, and how noisy the neighbors are.

Thank you
I was hoping to get the front left and right replicated on the rear speakers.
But the playbar has also the center I understand, so it would need some logic to merge the center on right and left before replicating to the surround.

Because today I have only front left and right speakers in a stereo configuration which I am duplicating on the rear surround speakers, but I wanted to make everything more clean and also to use it for music multi room with my other sonos equipment.

Thank you
Camillo
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Bruce has made the recommendation I would as well... use the two Play:1 speakers as a stereo pair and group them with the Playbar. A slight delay in the audio is possible (personally, I don't hear any delay when I group other speakers with my Playbar, but apparently some do), just so you're aware. Also, you'd want to go into the TV settings for the Playbar to make sure it doesn't leave the group when TV audio is detected (I'm pretty sure there's an option for that).