Move or roam as surround speakers

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

85 replies

@SoquelSkye . I am not sure in what sense we have crossed paths? Or is @SkyeDub also you? 

Just a coincidence in the names, or was I correct to suspect trolling in the first place? You didn't even join the forum until after my post.

I wonder if the battery run time would be suitable for Binge Watching.

I thought I saw somebody say 10 hours for the roams… I have a move it’s 3-4 hours tops 

Definitely a vote from me as well. I had both indoor and outdoor needs for speakers which is why I decided to get the roams. Disappointing that the roams can be used the same as the Ones. Especially since the speakers definitely can play music together, so it’s proven that the speakers can perform dynamic sound

FYI, when Sonos speakers are grouped together, the audio is significantly buffered to make sure it’s able to play in sync.  This done via your WiFi network and/or Sonosnet, 2.4 Ghz.  When speakers are bonded together in a home theatre setup, 2.4 Ghz is not fast enough for the audio to play immediately and match the audio on the TV, so 5.0 Ghz in a closed setup just involving the bonded speakers is used.  There’s a significant difference.  

Great point. Then Sonos should make a speaker that is: 1) wireless and battery powered, and 2) can switch between TV mode (5Ghz) and audio streaming mode (2.4GHz).

Definitely a vote from me as well. I had both indoor and outdoor needs for speakers which is why I decided to get the roams. Disappointing that the roams can be used the same as the Ones. Especially since the speakers definitely can play music together, so it’s proven that the speakers can perform dynamic sound

FYI, when Sonos speakers are grouped together, the audio is significantly buffered to make sure it’s able to play in sync.  This done via your WiFi network and/or Sonosnet, 2.4 Ghz.  When speakers are bonded together in a home theatre setup, 2.4 Ghz is not fast enough for the audio to play immediately and match the audio on the TV, so 5.0 Ghz in a closed setup just involving the bonded speakers is used.  There’s a significant difference.  

Great point. Then Sonos should make a speaker that is: 1) wireless and battery powered, and 2) can switch between TV mode (5Ghz) and audio streaming mode (2.4GHz).

Not sure what you mean by ‘switch’ here.  I believe the portable speakers already can do 5 or 2.4 GHz, as do all the current Sonos speakers.  Ones, for example, can be setup as stand alone speakers or configured to be surround sound, but it’s not a simple matter of flipping a switch, as it takes a couple minutes for a One to go from doing surround duty to a stand alone Sonos room, and vice versa.  And Trueplay tuning is lost in the process.

Really, if Sonos were to make a portable speaker like this, I think it would be a case where it’s set for surround duty, and can be switched to bluetooth mode (but not share the bluetooth).  I’m not against this, but I really don’t think it’s going to happen any time soon.

If you are looking for inexpensive surrounds, look here:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/symfonisk-wifi-bookshelf-speaker-black-00357561/

I also would really love this. 
i have a arc with the sub which I love and just ordered a roam. Mostly for the garden and upstairs.

i know that it doesn’t work as surrounds but I don’t want the ones because of the cables so being able to use two roams as surrounds, even though they probably don’t sound as nice as the one’s, will make me buy an extra roam in a heartbeat. 

What a complete waste of a product! Not being able to use a pair of CORDLESS!!! Roams as surrounds is ridiculous! Time for a change of brand for sure

What a complete waste of a product! Not being able to use a pair of CORDLESS!!! Roams as surrounds is ridiculous! Time for a change of brand for sure

So which other brand gives you the ability to use battery operated units as surround speakers?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi there,

That’s not about if I like one or another, neither about defending a brand or another. The topic is about portable surround solution, so did I answer. Technically.

Good day!