massive audio lag with sonos one when watching netflix on laptop

• 6 October 2018
  • 7 replies

I'm having 2 sonos one in stereo setup. ok-ish for music from laptop but netflix and other videos are complete desaster. They're setup through my wifi, connected to latest macbook pro and the sound is lagging by about 3s which is completely unacceptable. anything I can do?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Added emphasis from me:

Sonos-One-ADD-surround-speakers-home-theatre.htm

Use a pair of Ones AND Playbar or Playbase to create surround sound for all your movies, games and TV shows.

The words ADD and AND are critical in these snips. A One is useless on its own for HT.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

@Stuart_W:
>Return the Sonos unit and buy decent computer speakers. But do make sure to RTFM
Would you like to point me to where exactly it is stated that the sonos one is not suitable for watching movies through a laptop? I do read in the product guide that the sonos one is suitable for home theater:
http://www.sonos.com/support/productguide/en/sonosone/#t=Sonos_One%2Fsonosone_en%2FSonos-One-add-surround-speakers-home-theatre.htm&rhsearch=home

That's not how manuals, product descriptions or technical specifications work. They will detail what a product CAN do and how to achieve that. If you want manuals to describe all the things they cannot do then they'd all be a thousand pages long and never be read.

And FWIW, if you really want to add just 2 speakers to your computer to watch films then I stand by my advice. There are speakers out there that ARE specifically designed for that use case. Sonos 1s are only to designed to be part of a home theatre set-up if used as surrounds with a Playbar or Beam. They are brilliant at what they are advertised to do but rubbish as computer speakers.
First and foremost I would like to thank the sonos community for the healthy climate and supportive attitude as evidenced by the posts above.

@Stuart_W:
>Return the Sonos unit and buy decent computer speakers. But do make sure to RTFM
Would you like to point me to where exactly it is stated that the sonos one is not suitable for watching movies through a laptop? I do read in the product guide that the sonos one is suitable for home theater:
http://www.sonos.com/support/productguide/en/sonosone/#t=Sonos_One%2Fsonosone_en%2FSonos-One-add-surround-speakers-home-theatre.htm&rhsearch=home

@Traveller:
> Ones are not advertised as HT
I do read in both the product guide (see above) as well as the product page of the sonos one (https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/one.html) that the sonos one is suitable for home theater, here as stated on the page:
>Create a home theater
>Use a pair of Ones and Playbar or Playbase to create surround sound for all your movies, games and TV shows.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I bought the new flagship product - the sonos one for a ridiculous price (given that it's an OK-wifi-connected-mono-speaker) and cant even watch movies decently because apparently it's the wrong product...? That would be ridiculous...

Any help appreciated!

Return the Sonos unit and buy decent computer speakers. But do make sure to RTFM
Well, firstly, one speaker would be mono!
Secondly, Ones are not advertised as HT, so not, I would think, ridiculous.

Just my opinion.
I bought the new flagship product - the sonos one for a ridiculous price (given that it's an OK-wifi-connected-mono-speaker) and cant even watch movies decently because apparently it's the wrong product...? That would be ridiculous...

Any help appreciated!
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Use a Playbar/Playbase/Beam, they are designed with special hardware to do analog-to-digital conversion with minimal latency. The other speakers have a lot more latency, though 3 seconds seems excessive.