Question

make/model for audio/video receiver to power 6 Sonos Connects (through speaker selector)

• 18 June 2019
  • 7 replies

Are there any specs I need to consider when looking at a Audio Receiver to power/run my house house speakers through Sonos Connects? Power? 2 channel vs 5.1? This receiver will only be used to power the Sonos Connects through the speaker selector.

Thank you!

7 replies

A Sonos CONNECT has a stereo output, so an amp that does 5.1 wouldn't be necessary for the Sonos connection.

You should get an amplifier that matches your speakers. The Sonos doesn't need to be part of that equation, except in as much as you need to determine how many different streams you want to have. Each stream would need its own CONNECT, and each CONNECT needs its own connection to the amplifier.
Thank you Airgetlam,

So a two channel Stereo receiver will work if I only plan to utilize Spotify, Pandora with my Sonos Connects? I listed the number of Connects in case that was necessary. Thanks again,
A CONNECT puts out a single stereo stream at a time. Think of it like it's a record player. It can only play one record at a time.

So, your amp could have as many outputs as you want, but if you had a single CONNECT, you could only be playing one stream at a time.

If you want different music in different rooms at the same time, you'd need another CONNECT, for each room you want to be playing in.
Thanks again for the help and the reply.

i am comfortable with how the system works. I plan to have 6 Sonos connects so I have the option of running separate streams.
Maybe I need to ask my question differently. I am not buying Connect Amps, only Connects. Becasue of this I need a receiver to power them. The ceiling speakers are made by defintive technology, 6.5 inch, RMS output 200W. Is there a minimum power rating I need for my 2 channel receiver?

Thanks again!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Thanks again for the help and the reply.

i am comfortable with how the system works. I plan to have 6 Sonos connects so I have the option of running separate streams.
Maybe I need to ask my question differently. I am not buying Connect Amps, only Connects. Becasue of this I need a receiver to power them. The ceiling speakers are made by defintive technology, 6.5 inch, RMS output 200W. Is there a minimum power rating I need for my 2 channel receiver?

Thanks again!

You're kind of looking at this backwards. Your receiver does not "power" your Connects. The receiver powers your in ceiling speakers. The connect 'feeds' your amp with audio, like a record player would as Bruce stated earlier.

I don't think it's clear where the speaker selector fits in your setup. How may pairs of ceiling speakers do you have?

If you're looking to have 6 pairs of speakers, one amplifier, and 6 connects, then you would need a multichannel amplifier like this. Alternatively, you could 6 two-channel (stereo) amplifiers, one for each pair of speakers and Connect. In that option, it might makes sense to financially to get 6 Sonos amps, which is effectively your amplifier and Connect built into one device.
Thank you Danny,

Yes, you are correct, 6 pairs of speakers throughout the house, each with its own connect. I thought the receiver was the power....this was my disconnect. Thanks for including the amp link. This is where I needed some direction.
One final question: Do I still need a AV receiver in addition to the amplifier? I do not plan to use a CD player or FM radio as a source. I can use I heart radio etc on the Sonos app.
Make sense? Thanks again to both of you for all your help!
No, if you're only listening to Sonos data, there's no A/V receiver needed.