Lost surround and sub ( after update ?)

Userlevel 3

Hi 

I don’t know if my issue is related to the 14.6 update but I noticed today that I had no sound from my surround (play 3) and my sub (Gen 2), only the Arc is working They are still present in the app under the my System view but now sound which every sources

When I reboot each of them, the sound comes back temporary, but when I switch to another source or audio format, thé Sound disappears again. Tried several times, same behavior

Thanks for your help

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1604 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Well, my little more than a week of being free of any issues ended today with my sub stopping to work twice in an hour.

I think others have mentioned it, but playing music through the Sonos app made the sub start working again without having to unplug or reboot anything.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I was reading a Reddit post earlier where some people had some success in stabilizing by changing the SonosNet channel. Since this thread is so long and I can’t find a specific ‘thread search’ option does anyone remember if anyone has tried this and succeeded/failed? This would be for wired (WM:0) setups where Sonos enables its own hidden mesh network.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I was reading a Reddit post earlier where some people had some success in stabilizing by changing the SonosNet channel. Since this thread is so long and I can’t find a specific ‘thread search’ option does anyone remember if anyone has tried this and succeeded/failed? This would be for wired (WM:0) setups where Sonos enables its own hidden mesh network.

I’m pretty sure that’s been tried with no improvement. There has been really extensive network troubleshooting here including going 100% wired. Can’t say you won’t see a slight improvement but nothing major

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

It might resolve it temporarily but eventually it’ll come back 

I had this issue for The first time tonight. I’ve had no change to my system, which I’ve had for over 12 month, outside of system updates. We were watching House of Gucci via Apple TV and all of a sudden “boom” massive loud bag and then lost audio. Stoping and starting the movie got the audio back but 10min later the same thing happened.

Im super concerned it’s damaged the speaker now.

im considering returning the Arc now.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I had this issue for The first time tonight. I’ve had no change to my system, which I’ve had for over 12 month, outside of system updates. We were watching House of Gucci via Apple TV and all of a sudden “boom” massive loud bag and then lost audio. Stoping and starting the movie got the audio back but 10min later the same thing happened.

The large bang doesn’t seem consistent with this issue. You’ll just notice after changing content or source that the sub and surround have dropped out but the arc is still playing.  At most some hear a strange echo or out of sync audio preceding the dropout. Do you still see the speakers in the Sonos app? Do they come back if you power cycle the arc?

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

That sounds like a different issue 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Just ordered a Panasonic ub820 bluray player hope adding another input source will not trigger the fault again as I have had 5 weeks of stability here's hoping 🤞

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Just ordered a Panasonic ub820 bluray player hope adding another input source will not trigger the fault again as I have had 5 weeks of stability here's hoping 🤞

Out of curiosity, what sources have you had connected during that time?

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

@Freddy45764 i have the following 

Apple tv 4k on hdmi 1

Xbox series x, Gaming pc and Firecube on hdmi 3 on a 3 way switch 

Sonos Arc on hdmi 2(arc)

The blu ray will be on hdmi 4 replacing the Firecube 

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

@Freddy45764 i have the following 

Apple tv 4k on hdmi 1

Xbox series x, Gaming pc and Firecube on hdmi 3 on a 3 way switch 

Sonos Arc on hdmi 2(arc)

The blu ray will be on hdmi 4 replacing the Firecube 

Godspeed

Userlevel 1

I got an Arc with 2 Symfonisk rears 2 days ago, and I’m also having frequent issues with the rears disconnecting. I’ve had contact with the support multiple times since then, tried all of their suggestions including removing Wi-Fi devices near the Arc (including the router itself), changing Wi-Fi channels, activating SonosNet, changing the SonosNet channel and rebooting the devices.

Usually rebooting the Arc fixes the issue temporarily, sometimes it repairs itself after a while. Once it only stopped for a minute or so: I stopped the movie playback after the issue started and resumed it shortly after. I’ve been able to play some movies (2h +) & episodes without issues. Most of the time the issue seems to occur when starting a new film. Might be coincidence, though. I’ve also had the issue come and go during a single playback other times (thus far only using Wi-Fi instead of SonosNet). Playing music didn’t fix the issue for me, like others have suggested, but I haven’t tried it that often yet.

I’ve contacted the support with at least 5 diagnostics, and they always tell me it’s due to Wi-Fi interference. They’ve also told me that it’s not a common issue when this thread seems to suggest otherwise.

I’ve had a Sony 5.1 system with wireless rears & sub before, which never had any such issues. I also don’t have any other Wi-Fi issues. It seems to me, if it actually is an interference issue, that Sonos devices are way more sensitive to it than other devices.

What might also be interesting to note is that the pause & volume buttons of the rears always keep working even when the sound stops on them.

Finding this thread I feel relief that I’m not alone in this and reading that some people where able to get to talk to makes me feel more hopeful. I was already considering returning the Arc, but I’ll wait a bit more and hope for the best 🙌. It would’ve been so much more transparent & helpful if the Sonos support would’ve told me it’s a known issue.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Finding this thread I feel relief that I’m not alone in this and reading that some people where able to get to talk to makes me feel more hopeful. I was already considering returning the Arc, but I’ll wait a bit more and hope for the best 🙌. It would’ve been so much more transparent & helpful if the Sonos support would’ve told me it’s a known issue.

Yes your experience is spot on consistent with the issue we’ve been struggling with. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have an interesting finding to share. After getting so damn hopeless with this SONOS system, I tried powering down the BOOST and connect the ARC, 2 x Gen3 SUBs and 2 x ONEs to my wifi router. Surprisingly, it had been working without the ONEs and SUBs dropping for the past 4 days. But the SUBs and rears dropped a while ago after lasted for 4 days and so, it’s NOT FIXED. Now I am suspecting something wrong with the BOOST as well. This is so FRUSTRATING!!!

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I've had the surrounds/sub drop with and without the boost, hardwired into the Arc or not and solely on wifi. This is a sonos software problem for sure but like others say, the ‘help’ are obsessed with the problem being with your home wifi network which it simply cannot be. This issue is affecting so many users from all across the globe, how can we all suddenly have home wifi issues! Like others my system has been solid for 10 years. I feel sorry for new adopters. They must be wondering what the hell is going on. I just wish sonos would accept there's a problem with THEIR end and promise a fix. 

I've had the surrounds/sub drop with and without the boost, hardwired into the Arc or not and solely on wifi. This is a sonos software problem for sure but like others say, the ‘help’ are obsessed with the problem being with your home wifi network which it simply cannot be. This issue is affecting so many users from all across the globe, how can we all suddenly have home wifi issues! Like others my system has been solid for 10 years. I feel sorry for new adopters. They must be wondering what the hell is going on. I just wish sonos would accept there's a problem with THEIR end and promise a fix. 

I don’t think that it’s a local router WiFi issue as the Home Theatre connection to begin with. is usually HDMI-Arc, or an Optical cable connection, and the two surrounds don’t use the local router WiFi either when playing TV audio. The surrounds use an ad-hoc wireless connection. I don’t think Sonos have been saying that this is a Home WiFi network problem, unless perhaps something is interfering with the ad-hoc connection, but that seems unlikely as the HT master can choose its own channel selection. 

Have you contacted/spoken to Sonos Support Staff with this issue and if so, is that what you were told, that it was a Home WiFi Network issue?

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Yes I've spent a fair amount of time on the phone on a few separate occasions. I've disconnected extenders, rebooted the router and speakers etc. The usual… They seemed convinced it was a wifi issue at my end (its not). I've changed wifi channels etc. 

My system has been rock solid and wired in for years but because of this issue (and before I found this forum) I bought a boost thinking that might make a difference. Nope. So that's £100 wasted. At one point I was advised to wire in a speaker. I politely explained it always has been wired in and no matter what configuration of wired/unwired/boost/no boost/wifi etc I've tried has made a difference. The only change that bought a little stability was installing the voice control but that was short lived. I agree and am convinced this is an issue between the arc and the extended speaker/s in the bonded system. The recent rounds of updates have essentially broken it. The only saving Grace is that once noticed, it's (relatively) easy to resolve- I tend to remove surrounds and re-pair them. But it's a ball ache. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Yes I've spent a fair amount of time on the phone on a few separate occasions. I've disconnected extenders, rebooted the router and speakers etc. The usual… They seemed convinced it was a wifi issue at my end (its not). I've changed wifi channels etc. 

My system has been rock solid and wired in for years but because of this issue (and before I found this forum) I bought a boost thinking that might make a difference. Nope. So that's £100 wasted. At one point I was advised to wire in a speaker. I politely explained it always has been wired in and no matter what configuration of wired/unwired/boost/no boost/wifi etc I've tried has made a difference. The only change that bought a little stability was installing the voice control but that was short lived. I agree and am convinced this is an issue between the arc and the extended speaker/s in the bonded system. The recent rounds of updates have essentially broken it. The only saving Grace is that once noticed, it's (relatively) easy to resolve- I tend to remove surrounds and re-pair them. But it's a ball ache. 

Tell your wife you dumped $2k on this and that's all she needs to do. Lol. Welcome to the party thougj.

So was it a case that your router and/or ‘extenders’ were auto-selecting their wireless channels and (perhaps) interfering with the ad-hoc HT wireless signal? Just wondering what the outcome was in your case? For example, were you asked to fix the channels and adjust the channel-width on your AP’s to see if that might resolve your issue?

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

No the extender (which is nowhere near the sonos) has been part of my setup without issue for years. But as requested I've unplugged it for about 2 weeks now and no, it's made no difference at all. Same as before. I havent fixed the channels because to be honest I haven't called back as I haven't had time. I believe there's other users on this forum who have fixed the channels and it's made no difference to them. 

I'd like to think that sonos have enough diagnostic reports, and if they've been directed to this discussion, they should be able to acknowledge there's a problem and come up with a solution. As far as I'm concerned it's not due to interference with my home wifi setup. Nothing in my setup has been added or removed prior to this problem (other than buying a boost) This all happened since the last few updates. 

No the extender (which is nowhere near the sonos) has been part of my setup without issue for years. But as requested I've unplugged it for about 2 weeks now and no, it's made no difference at all. Same as before. I havent fixed the channels because to be honest I haven't called back as I haven't had time. I believe there's other users on this forum who have fixed the channels and it's made no difference to them. 

I'd like to think that sonos have enough diagnostic reports, and if they've been directed to this discussion, they should be able to acknowledge there's a problem and come up with a solution. As far as I'm concerned it's not due to interference with my home wifi setup. Nothing in my setup has been added or removed prior to this problem (other than buying a boost) This all happened since the last few updates. 

No, I don’t think it will be a local wireless issue either, at least not in every case, although I guess it could be (I suppose) in some instances, as there are a variety of different matters now reported in this quite lengthy thread.

I was just wondering in your own reported case, when you said Sonos had said that it was a wireless issue, if they had advised you to change your your router (and/or extender) WiFi channels to ‘fixed’ non-overlapping channels and to maybe reduce the channel-widths etc. I would have thought that might have made a difference if it was ‘local interference’. Maybe give that a go and see.

Note: if the router channels are not fixed, then things can certainly change. A router reboot/update might change your network environment and, if using SonosNet, it might even cause a clash with its channel too. So it’s often worth making things static, but perhaps keep your eye on any neighbouring networks too.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

No, I don’t think it will be a local wireless issue either, at least not in every case, although I guess it could be (I suppose) in some instances, as there are a variety of different matters now reported in this quite lengthy thread.

I was just wondering in your own reported case, when you said Sonos had said that it was a wireless issue, if they had advised you to change your your router (and/or extender) WiFi channels to ‘fixed’ non-overlapping channels and to maybe reduce the channel-widths etc. I would have thought that might have made a difference if it was ‘local interference’. Maybe give that a go and see.

Note: if the router channels are not fixed, then things can certainly change. A router reboot/update might change your network environment and, if using SonosNet, it might even cause a clash with its channel too. So it’s often worth making things static, but perhaps keep your eye on any neighbouring networks too.

Hi Ken,

As someone who isn’t experiencing this issue but seems to have followed along reasonably closely to this thread, I’m a bit curious that you still don’t seem to agree that this is likely a Sonos software problem and keep going down the interference path. I agree with your comment “…as there are a variety of different matters now reported in this quite lengthy thread.” however I think that’s just the nature of a thread this long. The core issues of:

-observing a loss of audio in sub and surrounds

-missing audio is completely missing, not picked up by the Arc 

-everything looks normal in the app, no errors showing, no speakers disconnected

-many things such as power cycling can bring the audio back temporarily

-Audio drops when starting new content, rarely mid stream. More likely to occur if switching HDMI inputs or audio types

-can be preceded by an echo or generally strange/poor audio. When restarting audio stream to fix echo, sub and surround are gone

-system was solid prior to 14.6. The issue for many was noticed shortly after. No other significant changes were made except the update.

As someone experiencing the issue, as soon as someone lists a combo of the above, it’s clear as day to me they’re experiencing the same issue as I am.  Given the tremendous effort by the user base here in troubleshooting and trying to isolate, I just don’t know how it could possibly be anything other than a Sonos software problem  

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I got an Arc with 2 Symfonisk rears 2 days ago, and I’m also having frequent issues with the rears disconnecting. I’ve had contact with the support multiple times since then, tried all of their suggestions including removing Wi-Fi devices near the Arc (including the router itself), changing Wi-Fi channels, activating SonosNet, changing the SonosNet channel and rebooting the devices.

Usually rebooting the Arc fixes the issue temporarily, sometimes it repairs itself after a while. Once it only stopped for a minute or so: I stopped the movie playback after the issue started and resumed it shortly after. I’ve been able to play some movies (2h +) & episodes without issues. Most of the time the issue seems to occur when starting a new film. Might be coincidence, though. I’ve also had the issue come and go during a single playback other times (thus far only using Wi-Fi instead of SonosNet). Playing music didn’t fix the issue for me, like others have suggested, but I haven’t tried it that often yet.

I’ve contacted the support with at least 5 diagnostics, and they always tell me it’s due to Wi-Fi interference. They’ve also told me that it’s not a common issue when this thread seems to suggest otherwise.

I’ve had a Sony 5.1 system with wireless rears & sub before, which never had any such issues. I also don’t have any other Wi-Fi issues. It seems to me, if it actually is an interference issue, that Sonos devices are way more sensitive to it than other devices.

What might also be interesting to note is that the pause & volume buttons of the rears always keep working even when the sound stops on them.

Support just disagrees to anything on this forum. They are hardwired to point the issue at wireless interference or your home network. A lot of us here facing the dropout issue have tried every possible step to isolate but it turns out the issue is firmware related. Since 14.6, Sonos devices have become more prone to dropouts probably due to some competent causing excessive wireless interference. Strangely enough, only Sonos devices have this problem, nothing else at my home including a cheap 50$ wireless speaker isn’t impacted

Badge

Since speaking to Sonos support last week whereby I figured out that playing music from the Sonos app seemed to “reset” the rears and sub I haven’t had a drop out.

One other factor is that I haven’t enabled TruePlay since speaking to support and removing the rears+sub and then re-adding - I’m going to leave that off to see if that’s a cause of the issue.

Also, I’m curious what hardware spec of sub and rears folks have with this issue. Mine are;

Rear Left:

Hardware v: 1.8.3.7-1.0, Series ID: A101, Sonos OS: 2

Rear Right: 

Hardware v: 1.8.3.7-1.0, Series ID: A101, Sonos OS: 2

Sub: 

Hardware v: 1.8.2.5-1.0, Series ID: A100, Sonos OS: 2

Finally, I contacted Sonos support again today and they said I’d be contacted within the next 48 hours (so we’ll see what happens!).

Hi Ken,

As someone who isn’t experiencing this issue but seems to have followed along reasonably closely to this thread, I’m a bit curious that you still don’t seem to agree that this is likely a Sonos software problem and keep going down the interference path. I agree with your comment “…as there are a variety of different matters now reported in this quite lengthy thread.” however I think that’s just the nature of a thread this long. The core issues of:

-observing a loss of audio in sub and surrounds

-missing audio is completely missing, not picked up by the Arc 

-everything looks normal in the app, no errors showing, no speakers disconnected

-many things such as power cycling can bring the audio back temporarily

-Audio drops when starting new content, rarely mid stream. More likely to occur if switching HDMI inputs or audio types

-can be preceded by an echo or generally strange/poor audio. When restarting audio stream to fix echo, sub and surround are gone

-system was solid prior to 14.6. The issue for many was noticed shortly after. No other significant changes were made except the update.

As someone experiencing the issue, as soon as someone lists a combo of the above, it’s clear as day to me they’re experiencing the same issue as I am.  Given the tremendous effort by the user base here in troubleshooting and trying to isolate, I just don’t know how it could possibly be anything other than a Sonos software problem  

​Like many, if not all, posters in this thread @Freddy45764 I don’t truly know where the answers may lie here. I haven’t experienced the surround dropout issue, as you know (touch wood), but dip in and out of this thread trying to encourage users to eliminate some of the common causes, like interference or TV peripherals stealing CEC focus etc. and to actually get those that are then still experiencing the problems to submit diagnostic reports and go onto speak with Sonos Support direct, particularly as Sonos have stated that they cannot reproduce the issue and were asking users to get in touch so they could look into each report on a case-by-case basis.

So cajoling others that post in this thread to eliminate the common causes and to then speak to Sonos has been my aim, in the hope an answer can be found for the users who are still coming across this issue.

I do know what it feels like to have an issue that others perhaps cannot reproduce.

From my own perspective and through the monitoring of this thread on a daily basis, I can’t truly say if the reported issues are all related, or if they are caused by the Sonos updates, or not, as some reports do differ and there’s probably a good many more folk, like myself, who still have not had a problem with the 14.6 update, or the minor updates released afterwards, but just loitering here trying to assist to find the answers for those that continue to have this HT dropout issue