Lost surround and sub ( after update ?)

Userlevel 3

Hi 

I don’t know if my issue is related to the 14.6 update but I noticed today that I had no sound from my surround (play 3) and my sub (Gen 2), only the Arc is working They are still present in the app under the my System view but now sound which every sources

When I reboot each of them, the sound comes back temporary, but when I switch to another source or audio format, thé Sound disappears again. Tried several times, same behavior

Thanks for your help

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1604 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Just watched the first two episodes of Stranger Things, Netflix on Apple TV. The sound cut about 5 times for a second.

ARC with Sub G3 and One SL’s. Got the latest Sonos update installed. 

Never happened before...really hope Sonos figures this out! 

This sounds like a different issue. I don’t think anyone else is getting full cutout including arc, just sub and surrounds and it doesn’t cut out mid stream, just when switching content. If this is related, the issue is getting worse

I am also getting a full drop out for a second.  Happens about once a day for me.  Don’t know if it’s related to this or not but it started a few weeks after the other issues started.

This sounds like a different issue. I don’t think anyone else is getting full cutout including arc, just sub and surrounds and it doesn’t cut out mid stream, just when switching content. If this is related, the issue is getting worse

I am also getting a full drop out for a second.  Happens about once a day for me.  Don’t know if it’s related to this or not but it started a few weeks after the other issues started.

If you can easily reproduce the issue even after power-cycling all your A/V products, then submit a diagnostic report within 10 minutes of seeing the issue, note it’s reference number, and then contact/chat to Sonos Support Staff via this LINK.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hello,

How many people on here experiencing the issue have 20Mhz/40Mhz Co-Existance enabled on their 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi frequency? Or, are using 20Mhz or 40Mhz as their 2.4Ghz band for Wi-Fi?

Thanks,

Brad

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

The reason I mention the above is that I had a theory to explore when thinking about some of the symptoms.  i.e:

1. Loss of sounds when flicking between channels.
  2. Loss of sound during the watching of a movie and/or music. 
  3. Weird sounding bass which is flabby, out of sync or does not sound right.

My system is basically back to the configuration it was before I messed around with it during testing - and also 14.8 is now installed. And it has been much more stable than before - this morning, once again, I was going through my ‘trigger script’ and it did not trigger the issue. 

The only difference I made to my network a while back was that I disabled 20/40 MHz coexistence on my Wi-Fi to stop the behaviour noted as below:

When 20/40 MHz coexistence is enabled, your router’s 2.4 GHz radio uses 40 MHz bandwidth until it detects another broadcast device using 40 MHz, at which point it falls back to 20 Mhz to avoid interference.

I was also reading this during my research:

Using a 40 MHz channel in 2.4 GHz doesn't work well, because there just isn't enough room for it. It has a higher chance of causing and receiving adjacent and co-channel interference.

My theory was (for whether reason it was introduced) is that this management of connecting devices and moving them between bands could have some negative effects. (The last point in bold in regards to interference also caught my eye and made me feel it was something to explore).

I am not sure if this really is the root cause, but I just wanted to point out a key change I made to my network and have been more stable since. There is a penalty, which is basically speed and there is some talk about Bluetooth but none of this has been a problem with me streaming music or normal operation of my printers, speaker or smart devices. 

What I would really like is for someone else who is having the problem (especially someone that is experiencing the problem very frequently) and see if they either fix their frequency to 20Mhz or disable 20/40 MHz coexistence. PLEASE NOTE: You really need some time as a full reboot of the router and restart of all Sonos devices in the right order needs to be performed). 

Userlevel 1

The reason I mention the above is that I had a theory to explore when thinking about some of the symptoms.  i.e:

1. Loss of sounds when flicking between channels.
  2. Loss of sound during the watching of a movie and/or music. 
  3. Weird sounding bass which is flabby, out of sync or does not sound right.

My system is basically back to the configuration it was before I messed around with it during testing - and also 14.8 is now installed. And it has been much more stable than before - this morning, once again, I was going through my ‘trigger script’ and it did not trigger the issue. 

The only difference I made to my network a while back was that I disabled 20/40 MHz coexistence on my Wi-Fi to stop the behaviour noted as below:

When 20/40 MHz coexistence is enabled, your router’s 2.4 GHz radio uses 40 MHz bandwidth until it detects another broadcast device using 40 MHz, at which point it falls back to 20 Mhz to avoid interference.

I was also reading this during my research:

Using a 40 MHz channel in 2.4 GHz doesn't work well, because there just isn't enough room for it. It has a higher chance of causing and receiving adjacent and co-channel interference.

My theory was (for whether reason it was introduced) is that this management of connecting devices and moving them between bands could have some negative effects. (The last point in bold in regards to interference also caught my eye and made me feel it was something to explore).

I am not sure if this really is the root cause, but I just wanted to point out a key change I made to my network and have been more stable since. There is a penalty, which is basically speed and there is some talk about Bluetooth but none of this has been a problem with me streaming music or normal operation of my printers, speaker or smart devices. 

What I would really like is for someone else who is having the problem (especially someone that is experiencing the problem very frequently) and see if they either fix their frequency to 20Mhz or disable 20/40 MHz coexistence. PLEASE NOTE: You really need some time as a full reboot of the router and restart of all Sonos devices in the right order needs to be performed). 

I’ve been on 20mhz the entire time, during period when all the dropouts were occurring and now when system has magically stabilized on its own, no wireless settings changes

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

That was a very short lived theory I had then!

It might be worth someone trying this though. Just to rule it out completely.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I was on 20/40 MHz the entire time when I had the issue. Now I’m still on 20/40 but have no issues.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

I was on 20/40 MHz the entire time when I had the issue. Now I’m still on 20/40 but have no issues.

I really have no idea what is going on! How does an issue just disappear. 

You think 14.8 did some good when they released it?

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I really have no idea what is going on! How does an issue just disappear. 

You think 14.8 did some good when they released it?

I don’t think so. I still had the issue after 14.8

The only thing that I can think of is the voice assistant.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

That makes it even more odd - the fact that you still had it after 14.8 but adding VA solves it. 

My brain hurts. I need a vacation. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

That makes it even more odd - the fact that you still had it after 14.8 but adding VA solves it. 

I’m still getting drops but the frequency is much less less since I enabled VA… I couldn’t watch for longer than 5 min max without complete loss now it lasts a few hours (2-5).  I don’t wat tis means but I sure wish they would fix it. :(

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

I’m still getting drops but the frequency is much less less since I enabled VA… I couldn’t watch for longer than 5 min max without complete loss now it lasts a few hours (2-5).  I don’t wat tis means but I sure wish they would fix it. :(

You running on 20Mhz?

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

You running on 20Mhz?

How do I check that?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi all,

We appreciate the ongoing engagement around your setups, your experiences and the issues you’re having with your systems.

Please bear in mind that updating a system can occasionally surface an issue that hadn't manifested previously, and that this does not mean the issue was caused by the update. Additionally, submitting a diagnostic can also sometimes cause interruptions during the submission, and for a few minutes afterwards. 

For each case submitted, the Sonos team works on isolating the issue and replicating anything out of the ordinary. Many of you have already been in contact with support to get help. Thank you, that is the best route to get your specific issue addressed most quickly. As always, the Sonos team continues to work to optimize the Sonos user experience and resolve the root cause of the problems discussed here. If you have not already contacted Support directly, please do and share a diagnostic report from within 10 minutes of the issue occurring on your system. This helps the Sonos team verify the symptoms and determine the cause of the specific issue you are contacting about. 

At this time, we have been unable to reproduce the reported issue related to the recent update, which seems to affect a very small proportion of the total number of Arc and Beam users. We understand this is frustrating and are committed to working with each of you to resolve any issues you are experiencing. Our shared goal is to ensure a smooth and effortless experience with your Sonos system.

You can contact support via phone from Monday to Friday 10am - 8:30pm ET or by chat 24/7 via the Sonos Digital Assistant on the Sonos Support Site.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

You running on 20Mhz?

How do I check that?

In your router settings.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

You running on 20Mhz?

How do I check that?

On your router settings.

2.4 GHz

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@Corry P  Really shocked that Sonos havn’t been able to reproduce the issue, just feels like a deflection to not be held accountable. I would recommend they take a few of the TV’s on this spreadsheet of users suffering from the issue and test Arc & Surrounds with that - and follow the user notes of how to trigger the issue. (AppleTV start netflix/amazon trailers, start netflix/amazon shows, Youtube then repeat on internal apps)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Q6Iq2xXXZ--RmnsGnbZhujxJj1BcwJlvqSzj5iZXz2U/edit?usp=sharing

Not a single user has said ‘Sonos support fixed my issue by doing X with my system/network’. This is clearly a software issue. It’s also very likely that only a portion of Arc users are suffering as some don’t have surrounds/subs, some don’t change sources often, some power cycle every day, or some don’t even notice.

For the first time since this saga started, yesterday I started googling alternative home theatre setups, and stopped myself because I still have faith in Sonos as a brand and really do love their products. Hearing you’ve been unable to reproduce the issue, and thus, are clearly not working on a fix makes me feel like I really do have to start looking at alternatives.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’ve been eyeing the new Samsung since I have a Samsung TV.  I hate to bail but I have 2 major issues and no fix in sight.  

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi all,

We appreciate the ongoing engagement around your setups, your experiences and the issues you’re having with your systems.

Please bear in mind that updating a system can occasionally surface an issue that hadn't manifested previously, and that this does not mean the issue was caused by the update. Additionally, submitting a diagnostic can also sometimes cause interruptions during the submission, and for a few minutes afterwards. 

For each case submitted, the Sonos team works on isolating the issue and replicating anything out of the ordinary. Many of you have already been in contact with support to get help. Thank you, that is the best route to get your specific issue addressed most quickly. As always, the Sonos team continues to work to optimize the Sonos user experience and resolve the root cause of the problems discussed here. If you have not already contacted Support directly, please do and share a diagnostic report from within 10 minutes of the issue occurring on your system. This helps the Sonos team verify the symptoms and determine the cause of the specific issue you are contacting about. 

At this time, we have been unable to reproduce the reported issue related to the recent update, which seems to affect a very small proportion of the total number of Arc and Beam users. We understand this is frustrating and are committed to working with each of you to resolve any issues you are experiencing. Our shared goal is to ensure a smooth and effortless experience with your Sonos system.

You can contact support via phone from Monday to Friday 10am - 8:30pm ET or by chat 24/7 via the Sonos Digital Assistant on the Sonos Support Site.

I’m sorry @Corry P , but this is nothing short of ridiculous. There are hundreds of Arc users that have satellite speakers of some description, that have gone from having a stable system to all suffering exactly the same issues after the 14.6 update, regardless of TV model, network condition, and any number of other variables. You’re saying that Sonos cannot replicate the issue. That means one of two things, 1. That’s not true and you’re trying to deflect due to the implications of admitting responsibility, or 2. The team you have working on it are completely inept and are in no way up to the task of troubleshooting something extremely basic.

Either way, my faith in Sonos in a company is rapidly eroding, and I speak as someone who has invested heavily in your products over the years. That way that this is being dealt with is a huge slap in the face to loyal customers.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi all,

Hahaha, WHAT??!!?  @Corry, I contacted SONOS the week of v14.6’s release as I noticed the drop the very same day my software was auto-updated.  At first I thought it was a fluke since I had never had any issues with my setup for 6+ mos prior.  After it kept happening I started messing with my network and then finally contacted SONOS for support.  It wasn't until a few days after did I come across a SONOS article mentioning the release of 14.6 the night my issues began.  I have since contacted and provided SONOS with 8 + diagnostics and been trying to remain patient for a fix for over 7 weeks now.  

To say you cannot recreate is laughable.  

The only reason I haven't boxed everything up and sold everything online is that Id be pawning this infuriating issue off onto some unsuspecting person.  I will be calling in to provide a few more diagnostics but this response from you/SONOS is just asinine.  “...this does not mean the issue was caused by the update.”  Roll back to 14.5, release it as v14.9 and if my issue doesn't immediately go away I will apologize and sit tight with this bricked unit forever more.  

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi all,

So I guess it's too bad you have a problem because it's not our problem? That's the company line?  THE SYSTEM YOU SELL DOESN'T WORK POST 14.6! I want my money back. Take your products back and give me my money back. I'll move on to another wireless system. You are not the only one, but you are definitely becoming the worst one. Your company broke the system and now you are blaming us?!? The customer!?! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi all,

Ladies and Gentlemen...INITIATING DAMAGE CONTROL SEQUENCE IN 3, 2, 1.....WE HAVE LIFT OFF!

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hi all,

Hi @Corry P 

I do just want to add a few things - not to fuel any fires but to make sure there is some clarity.

Some of this problem is that people are contacting support and going through (the sometimes multiple hour) process of diagnostics Sonos suggest. This is usually started with 1st or 2nd line Customer Care. When it is apparent that the issue is more complex, it then gets escalated to Engineering. For me at least, this is where the trail goes quiet and no further updates are forthcoming. 

I have two current threads of contact - One was from an email I sent to Patrick Spence (who referred to 2nd Line Customer Experience who reached out to me) and the other is via my case where we went through several hours of diagnostics and was eventually escalated to Engineering. The former stopped communicating on the 2nd of June and the latter stopped communicating on the 26th of May. So there is a problem where impacted users are following the process, but it does not progress to users and Sonos Engineers working with each other in a timely and collaborative manner. This, in turn, becomes a frustration point for many and leads to increasingly escalating threads like this. 

Within this thread there is a lot of information regarding what users have tried (including new networking, hard-wiring everything, flicking features on/off, etc) and it bears little to no fruit. I am happy to accept that this is a nuanced situation and agree first hand that its not easy to understand the root-cause. But something happened in April which directly or indirectly affected the performance of Sonos equipment.

Without a proper engagement between user and engineering, there is little chance of this getting resolved. We are being pointed in that direction, but that is also where it stops. The commitment statement from Sonos is out of alignment with what is actually being experienced by effected users. 

Lastly, I am happy to commit time with an Engineer to go through the issue if that would be helpful. 

Thanks,
Brad

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

If I am a very small portion of affected users then give me my money back. DM me, I'll sign an NDA and let me get on with my life you scam artists. You now have the balls to say it's our setup? We broke it? GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Let me ask everyone that has their sub "drop out", next to this happens, could you try this? Place your head next to the sub. I just had mine drop out. Explosions, large thumps etc had to punch to it. Then a scene came that was just dialogue and everytime a male with a deeper voice spoke, there was a muffled echo. I out my head directly next to the sub and it was if the only thing being pushed through the sub was the base from dialogue. I am wondering if we aren't losing the sub but the something with the audio channel is possibly flipping? I made a few reports and made a call and really got nowhere. When this just happened to me, I went from Amazon's The Boys S01E01 to Netflix's Dark S03E08. At this point it sounded like I lost the sub audio. Then when I went back to The Boys S03E01 21:20, all the male voice was accompanied with a muffled, deep, echo that was hard to pinpoint but ended coming from the sub. Anyone else with a sub drop able to confirm this? I've only just seen this and don't know own if I didn't notice it before with sub drops or if this is just a one time thing. I'm going to recheck this when it drops again....could be in five minutes, could be in two days.