Lost surround and sub ( after update ?)

Userlevel 3

Hi 

I don’t know if my issue is related to the 14.6 update but I noticed today that I had no sound from my surround (play 3) and my sub (Gen 2), only the Arc is working They are still present in the app under the my System view but now sound which every sources

When I reboot each of them, the sound comes back temporary, but when I switch to another source or audio format, thé Sound disappears again. Tried several times, same behavior

Thanks for your help

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1604 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I have been on them since April 22nd and finally got an acknowledgement via email today that they are aware of the issue (a first for me but following this thread, know they have for others): “...as shared in the previous email, after an update it is not possible to revers the system to the previous firmware.  We are aware of the situation and our engineers are working to have this issue clear.”

Whoah, did I just read the above correctly @Frank Smith? Sonos have acknowledged there is an issue and developers/engineers are working to resolve with a software fix? Or am I misinterpreting that?

I finally submitted a diagnostic yesterday after weeks of occasional problems (usually with the sub and rears going out of sync). Unfortunately I had rebooted all the Home Theatre components to get the system back working before I submitted the diagnostic which he said cleared the logs so I won’t make that mistake again. His opinion was that it was CEC related.

The engineer on the Chat said “We have indeed seen a number of cases that show up with this kind of interference and we will further notify our development team to investigate and come up with a solution”

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

His opinion was that it was CEC related.

The engineer on the Chat said “We have indeed seen a number of cases that show up with this kind of interference and we will further notify our development team to investigate and come up with a solution”

Thanks @ainsley002.

I think this is supporting the case that we need to (as time consuming it is) help Sonos with triangulating the issue by submitted the diagnostic and calling them to officially log the issue. If they are getting a lot of official reports with the same symptoms and also the diagnostics, then it can only help them get to a resolution. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I am amazed my post got so little attention. I now have 2 days with basically no issues after changing my sound format settings. 

It IS a workaround since I would rather not force 16 bit audio and Dolby non-plus, but I have a working setup while I wait for a fix.

My post is 3-4 pages back.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

I am amazed my post got so little attention. I now have 2 days with basically no issues after changing my sound format settings. 

It IS a workaround since I would rather not force 16 bit audio and Dolby non-plus, but I have a working setup while I wait for a fix.

Nope, I saw it but have just been in full testing mode which means I have been keeping the settings as the system is intended. I am sure others have seen it. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@Foxis I’ll give this a go …
Q: What about ‘Audio system prioritisation’ on the Bravia, is that on or off?
Q: What about ‘Sound mode sync’ on the Bravia, is that on or off?

Q: Are you using anything else on HDMI other than an AppleTV? I have a PS5 connected and would worry that would trigger the problem again.

@Ken_Griffiths  I have.  How many more diagnostics do they need? They haven't STEPPED IN because my system and many others have stopped working since 14.6. over a month ago! I didn't buy a beta testing kit. 

Just the one diagnostic report each time you encounter the issue. When you contacted Sonos, did they escalate your matter or state they had sufficient gathered data in your case? if not, then continue to make contact. Every bit of gathered data may help the Staff. Merely just ‘waiting’, as you mentioned you were doing earlier, is just likely going to prolong the issue for you.

It’s important to give Sonos all ongoing information, as they are looking at the matter on a ‘case by case’ basis which infers there may be more than one issue ‘in play’ here. There’s no saying these things are all linked at this stage, particularly as in some cases here the outcome appears to vary from ‘dropout’ to ‘sync’ issues with the surrounds & sub.

I would try to personally provide them with as much data as you can until they tell you otherwise and then wait for any fix, which in some cases might need to come from other manufacturers in the form of a TV or A/V device firmware update, in addition to any potential Sonos update. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi All,

I have been following this thread from the beginning and finally jumping in.  Off the bat, thanks to Brad and Peter (plus all others) for all of your time and effort with this bug.  

My setup:  

LG CX OLED (wireless)

Cable box (HDMI INPUT 1)

SONOS Arc (HDMI INPUT 2) - OS: S2 (wireless)

Two SONOS subs - OS:  S2 (wireless)

Two Bookshelf speakers - OS:  S2 (wireless)

(All SONOS now on v14.8 (build 68329170) - keep doing the recent updates hoping its the fix.

PS5 (HDMI INPUT 3 - wired)

In the same boat as everyone as of April 19th with the release of v14.6.  

My issue is easily re-creatable simply by switching between inputs to the the built-in TV YouTube app or Netflix and watching a video.  I do not have have Apple TV.  Submitted 8+ diagnostics to various live SONOS reps via phone as early as April 22nd when restarting my router, unplugging and power cycling would only give me a temporary relief.  At the time they did not acknowledge the issue and went with the standard troubleshooting playbook - none of course worked.  

I have been on them since April 22nd and finally got an acknowledgement via email today that they are aware of the issue (a first for me but following this thread, know they have for others): “...as shared in the previous email, after an update it is not possible to revers the system to the previous firmware.  We are aware of the situation and our engineers are working to have this issue clear.”

My one workaround right now is to turn off SIMPLINK (HDMI-CEC) and switch output sound from HDMI ARC to “Internal TV Speaker”.  From there, I can go to YouTube, Netflix, Amazon, PS5, Amazon Prime… and turn on whatever I want to watch.  Then have to go back to HDMI Arc for sound and I will not experience any drops.  Suuuper annoying but does the trick for me.  

If/when I drop (forgetting to do the above or too lazy), I just reboot my router.

Interesting. My 2nd system with an LG CX and PS5 I haven’t experienced the issue yet. May I ask if you have HDMI CEC enabled on your PS5?

Yes, CEC is enabled for my PS5.  

I’m curious if it helps at all to turn it off on the PS5. 

Tried this morning.  SONOS system was fully up and running.  Went to PS5 System settings and disabled “Enable HDMI Device Link” which also disables “Enable One-Touch Play” and “”Enable Power Off Link”.  Started jumping from different sources - HDMI 1 (TV), launched Netflix from TV app, YouTube, back to TV… all was fine.  After about 10mins I went back to PS5 and switched games from COD to FIFA…. as soon as I did that the issue returned (could have been fluke but….).  

Restated the router to bring SONOS system back to life but while doing that also powered off PS5 (even pulled out HDMI and ethernet cable from system) to ensure PS5 itself is not a factor.  

SONOS powered back up and fully functional again.  TV sound fine, Netflix, fine, youTube fine but then started paying attention to the audio format switches via the app.  When I moved from Dolby Multichanel PMC 2.0 (Netflix movie) to Dolby Atmos (Amazon movie) it instantly dropped. 

Foxis mentioned before - likely audio/format switches triggering the glitch and why my current workaround of disabling eArc, changing output to “Internal TV Speaker”, start whatever I'm about to watch/play then going back to enable HDMI/Arc works.  As long as I don't move from one (audio) source to another, I'm good.  After todays tests, first I’m clueing in that each game could also have a different audio format so switching between could also trigger the glitch.

...Just tried again and watched the switching between games.  FIFA (Multichannel PCM 7.1), switched to COD and in between it went from Stereo PCM (while loading COD - PS5 dashboard) back to Multichannel PCM 7.1.  SONOS did not drop this time between the switch… so random but sure I'm just a few switches away from yet another router reboot.

Did you take any diagnostic reports @Frank Smith? I think posting their references here, might perhaps be helpful to the Staff too.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Just adding to this thread that I am also experiencing this issue.

No Apple TV.

Setup is Vizio TV, Arc, 2 subs (Gen 2, Gen 3), Play 1s.

I submitted diagnostics this morning for it, but the rep didn’t seem familiar with the issue, so I will go back and try to escalate it.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Did you take any diagnostic reports @Frank Smith? I think posting their references here, might perhaps be helpful to the Staff too.

Not from this morning.  I have provided 8+ directly to a live agent over the past month.  I’ll call back in at some point this weekend as my case file is still active with them. 

Are you suggesting that if I generate a diagnostic number and post it here, that info could be retrieved by SONOS staff if they are reading this thread and it could be helpful?  Doesn't have to be reviewed by them “live”?  If so, will do.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Hi All,

I have been following this thread from the beginning and finally jumping in.  Off the bat, thanks to Brad and Peter (plus all others) for all of your time and effort with this bug.  

My setup:  

LG CX OLED (wireless)

Cable box (HDMI INPUT 1)

SONOS Arc (HDMI INPUT 2) - OS: S2 (wireless)

Two SONOS subs - OS:  S2 (wireless)

Two Bookshelf speakers - OS:  S2 (wireless)

(All SONOS now on v14.8 (build 68329170) - keep doing the recent updates hoping its the fix.

PS5 (HDMI INPUT 3 - wired)

In the same boat as everyone as of April 19th with the release of v14.6.  

My issue is easily re-creatable simply by switching between inputs to the the built-in TV YouTube app or Netflix and watching a video.  I do not have have Apple TV.  Submitted 8+ diagnostics to various live SONOS reps via phone as early as April 22nd when restarting my router, unplugging and power cycling would only give me a temporary relief.  At the time they did not acknowledge the issue and went with the standard troubleshooting playbook - none of course worked.  

My one workaround right now is to turn off SIMPLINK (HDMI-CEC) and switch output sound from HDMI ARC to “Internal TV Speaker”.  From there, I can go to YouTube, Netflix, Amazon, PS5, Amazon Prime… and turn on whatever I want to watch.  Then have to go back to HDMI Arc for sound and I will not experience any drops.  Suuuper annoying but does the trick for me.  

If/when I drop (forgetting to do the above or too lazy), I just reboot my router.

Interesting. My 2nd system with an LG CX and PS5 I haven’t experienced the issue yet. May I ask if you have HDMI CEC enabled on your PS5?

Yes, CEC is enabled for my PS5.  

I’m curious if it helps at all to turn it off on the PS5. 

Tried this morning.  SONOS system was fully up and running.  Went to PS5 System settings and disabled “Enable HDMI Device Link” which also disables “Enable One-Touch Play” and “”Enable Power Off Link”.  Started jumping from different sources - HDMI 1 (TV), launched Netflix from TV app, YouTube, back to TV… all was fine.  After about 10mins I went back to PS5 and switched games from COD to FIFA…. as soon as I did that the issue returned (could have been fluke but….).  

Restated the router to bring SONOS system back to life but while doing that also powered off PS5 (even pulled out HDMI and ethernet cable from system) to ensure PS5 itself is not a factor.  

SONOS powered back up and fully functional again.  TV sound fine, Netflix, fine, youTube fine but then started paying attention to the audio format switches via the app.  When I moved from Dolby Multichanel PMC 2.0 (Netflix movie) to Dolby Atmos (Amazon movie) it instantly dropped. 

Foxis mentioned before - likely audio/format switches triggering the glitch and why my current workaround of disabling eArc, changing output to “Internal TV Speaker”, start whatever I'm about to watch/play then going back to enable HDMI/Arc works.  As long as I don't move from one (audio) source to another, I'm good.  After todays tests, first I’m clueing in that each game could also have a different audio format so switching between could also trigger the glitch.

...Just tried again and watched the switching between games.  FIFA (Multichannel PCM 7.1), switched to COD and in between it went from Stereo PCM (while loading COD - PS5 dashboard) back to Multichannel PCM 7.1.  SONOS did not drop this time between the switch… so random but sure I'm just a few switches away from yet another router reboot.

Thanks for testing that. At this point I’m just really confused why I experience the issue on my living room system but not my game room system 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Latest update from my case when I asked today how it was going with 3rd line:

I'm sorry about the delay, the case is with my colleagues from the engineering team, I've updated your case, they should reach out soon.

I then asked if there was any new information added to the ticket:

No, not for the moment, it may take another 1-2 days. I will update the case and ask them to review your case as soon as possible.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

If anyone has any tips on getting the Sonos agents to connect the dots and link the cases to try to solve this better, please let me know what I should do/say.

I submitted diagnostics to the an agent (Level 1) this morning, and he was trying to get me to go through all the same troubleshooting as usual. I told him there were hundreds of replies online of people doing that, so it didn't seem a good use of my time. I just wanted to submit the diagnostics so they could have more data. He said it would go in a “basket” for the development team, but that was it. I just don’t feel like spending hours disconnecting/reconnecting things, when it’s a known issue on the Sonos end.

Not from this morning.  I have provided 8+ directly to a live agent over the past month.  I’ll call back in at some point this weekend as my case file is still active with them. 

Are you suggesting that if I generate a diagnostic number and post it here, that info could be retrieved by SONOS staff if they are reading this thread and it could be helpful?  Doesn't have to be reviewed by them “live”?  If so, will do.  

My thinking Frank was to post the diagnostics here initially, particularly as you were outlining the steps that you were doing at the time that caused the issue, then when you do call/chat to Support, you can reference them and your post. Then at least the Sonos Staff have all the steps and accompanying diagnostic reports too. It seems pointless to reproduce issues and not grab the data/information that they likely really need to investigate the matter, which are the diagnostic reports.

Userlevel 3
Badge

If anyone has any tips on getting the Sonos agents to connect the dots and link the cases to try to solve this better, please let me know what I should do/say.

I submitted diagnostics to the an agent (Level 1) this morning, and he was trying to get me to go through all the same troubleshooting as usual. I told him there were hundreds of replies online of people doing that, so it didn't seem a good use of my time. I just wanted to submit the diagnostics so they could have more data. He said it would go in a “basket” for the development team, but that was it. I just don’t feel like spending hours disconnecting/reconnecting things, when it’s a known issue on the Sonos end.

This is the number they provided to have a case escalated and speak with a “supervisor”:  800 680 2345 (M-F, 10am-7pm EST)

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

This sux

I’m currently airdropping music from iPhone to arc and it’s just coming out the arc itself, this is infuriating and not good enough, sent diagnostics 1409587017

Userlevel 2

I just want Sonos to acknowledge there is smoke and say they are looking for the fire.  I’m tired of them thinking its a configuration issue outside of the ARC when its so obviously been proven by so many posts here its directly related to something they introduced in an update.  (I’m still 100% certain from my own testing its related to audio format switching). 

I’m done with troubleshooting for them, and have stopped recommending their products to people because of this.  I’m very disappointed with how this has been handled. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I just want Sonos to acknowledge there is smoke and say they are looking for the fire.  I’m tired of them thinking its a configuration issue outside of the ARC when its so obviously been proven by so many posts here its directly related to something they introduced in an update.  (I’m still 100% certain from my own testing its related to audio format switching). 

I’m done with troubleshooting for them, and have stopped recommending their products to people because of this.  I’m very disappointed with how this has been handled. 

I also thought it’s because of audio format switching but then it happened to me after using only my PS5.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Yeah, its 100% a software issue.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Q: Are you using anything else on HDMI other than an AppleTV? I have a PS5 connected and would worry that would trigger the problem again.

Audio system prop is off and sound mode sync on. However, they do not seem to make a difference. That game changer is lowering the format targets on the Apple TV and the Bravia as described in my post.

My suspicion is that the Arc does not handle the interruptions in the higher Bitrate streams from the Apple TV. It is always triggered (for me) by rapid stop/resumes in the audio, for example when switching previews on the Apple TV on Netflix or switching spatial music tracks.

Something goes wrong in the Arc or between the Arc and surrounds and this isn’t resolved until the Arc is forced to reset. It then works until a  higher Bitrate 5.1 stream is interrupted again.

i am still hoping for a fix, but the tech rep has gone awefulky quiet… :/

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

And just to recap: I can work around the problem by lowering the audio format to 16 bit Dolby 5.1 on the Apple TV and Dolby Digital (not plus) output on the Bravia. No problem for several days now. None.

Again, not happy since I dislike having to lower the settings so I am still pestering Sonos.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Strangely, I haven’t experienced the issue since I turned “match screen and sound” to “bypass” on all the inputs on my LG C1 a few days ago.  

edit: lmao I post that and then I immediately lose surround and subs

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Audio system prop is off and sound mode sync on. However, they do not seem to make a difference. That game changer is lowering the format targets on the Apple TV and the Bravia as described in my post.

My suspicion is that the Arc does not handle the interruptions in the higher Bitrate streams from the Apple TV. It is always triggered (for me) by rapid stop/resumes in the audio, for example when switching previews on the Apple TV on Netflix or switching spatial music tracks.

Something goes wrong in the Arc or between the Arc and surrounds and this isn’t resolved until the Arc is forced to reset. It then works until a  higher Bitrate 5.1 stream is interrupted again.

i am still hoping for a fix, but the tech rep has gone awefulky quiet… :/

I’m thinking along these lines too

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Strangely, I haven’t experienced the issue since I turned “match screen and sound” to “bypass” on all the inputs on my LG C1 a few days ago.  

edit: lmao I post that and then I immediately lose surround and subs

Every time