Lost surround and sub ( after update ?)

Userlevel 3

Hi 

I don’t know if my issue is related to the 14.6 update but I noticed today that I had no sound from my surround (play 3) and my sub (Gen 2), only the Arc is working They are still present in the app under the my System view but now sound which every sources

When I reboot each of them, the sound comes back temporary, but when I switch to another source or audio format, thé Sound disappears again. Tried several times, same behavior

Thanks for your help

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1604 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I just got the issue again, this time only switching channels via the TVs internal Freeview tuner. So not a change of source. It then followed the usual pattern of coming back out of sync/echoing then it eventually sorts itself out.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’ve reluctantly returned my full Sonos system whilst I had that window of opportunity. Gutted. It really sounds good

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

I just got the issue again, this time only switching channels via the TVs internal Freeview tuner. So not a change of source. It then followed the usual pattern of coming back out of sync/echoing then it eventually sorts itself out.

Did the channel you changed to have a different video format or sound format?

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I want to add my set up as it's a little different than what I'm seeing here but we are all in this nightmare together. It's a virtually wireless setup. I have an HDMI from PS4 going into a converter. Analog RCA out of the converter into the port. This is paired in the app with my arc, sub, and ones as none of them are wired. No HDMI running to the arc, sub, nothing. If I run the app from my phone bypassing the port to listen to Spotify the system works as it should. No issues. If I use the app and include the port for my PS4 for movie's games sports etc the issue that showed up from 14.6 occurs in less than 10 minutes without fail. What are we on now, 14.8.1? Barf! Double barfbags as this all worked flawlessly until 14.6. Everyone I have to admit I'm defeated... My wife is looking at me asking " you spent 5 grand on a setup that doesn't work, and the company is not helping?" All I can say is ya, I sarcastically add, "don't worry, they have really cool new products coming out!"  I'm really worried we are going to be left to figure this out on our own... I want a full refund but the company is hiding behind a third party. " If you bought it from Best Buy take it up with them." I told them Best Buy isn't incharge of the software updates that broke my system. Really bummed out dudes.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I’ve reluctantly returned my full Sonos system whilst I had that window of opportunity. Gutted. It really sounds good

Check out the Bluesound lineup. So far I've replaced two Fives and a Sub and I'm quite happy with the sound quality, especially with the ability to play my 24-bit/192hz tracks via BluOS and Roon. Full Home Theater will be set up this weekend.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Sorry to hear that. Tragic.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Good for you. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I don’t believe so. Both Dolby Multichannel PCM 2.0 on the Sonos with the TV stating its HE-AAC v1.5.1.

When it goes out of sync, it sounds like you are watching TV in a large sports hall or a tunnel.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

I don’t believe so. Both Dolby Multichannel PCM 2.0. When it goes out of sync, it sounds like you are watching TV in a large sports hall or a tunnel.

Yeah, I have experienced that ‘Concert Hall’ sound from time to time. 

I think we only have the Engineering path now guys. As time consuming as it is, we need to all get on the phone and help Sonons triangulate this issue. The alternative is endless fix attempts and a system that looks great but performs inconsistently.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I don’t believe so. Both Dolby Multichannel PCM 2.0. When it goes out of sync, it sounds like you are watching TV in a large sports hall or a tunnel.

Yeah, I have experienced that ‘Concert Hall’ sound from time to time. 

I think we only have the Engineering path now guys. As time consuming as it is, we need to all get on the phone and help Sonons triangulate this issue. The alternative is endless fix attempts and a system that looks great but performs inconsistently.

Agreed

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

That all sounds logical. Just don’t understand why some people have not got the issue. 

We would really need an extensive amount of time comparing settings on a working setup and a non-working one. 

They might not have noticed, simple. The escalation team from Sonos needs to be held accountable and they need to fix the problem now. Feel cheated to be honest!

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

That all sounds logical. Just don’t understand why some people have not got the issue. 

We would really need an extensive amount of time comparing settings on a working setup and a non-working one. 

They might not have noticed, simple. The escalation team from Sonos needs to be held accountable and they need to fix the problem now. Feel cheated to be honest!

Feels like a scam. We have your money and we don’t care. If I’m wrong were is Sonos on this thread? I’m waiting...

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi All,

I have been following this thread from the beginning and finally jumping in.  Off the bat, thanks to Brad and Peter (plus all others) for all of your time and effort with this bug.  

My setup:  

LG CX OLED (wireless)

Cable box (HDMI INPUT 1)

SONOS Arc (HDMI INPUT 2) - OS: S2 (wireless)

Two SONOS subs - OS:  S2 (wireless)

Two Bookshelf speakers - OS:  S2 (wireless)

(All SONOS now on v14.8 (build 68329170) - keep doing the recent updates hoping its the fix.

PS5 (HDMI INPUT 3 - wired)

In the same boat as everyone as of April 19th with the release of v14.6.  

My issue is easily re-creatable simply by switching between inputs to the the built-in TV YouTube app or Netflix and watching a video.  I do not have have Apple TV.  Submitted 8+ diagnostics to various live SONOS reps via phone as early as April 22nd when restarting my router, unplugging and power cycling would only give me a temporary relief.  At the time they did not acknowledge the issue and went with the standard troubleshooting playbook - none of course worked.  

I have been on them since April 22nd and finally got an acknowledgement via email today that they are aware of the issue (a first for me but following this thread, know they have for others): “...as shared in the previous email, after an update it is not possible to revers the system to the previous firmware.  We are aware of the situation and our engineers are working to have this issue clear.”

My one workaround right now is to turn off SIMPLINK (HDMI-CEC) and switch output sound from HDMI ARC to “Internal TV Speaker”.  From there, I can go to YouTube, Netflix, Amazon, PS5, Amazon Prime… and turn on whatever I want to watch.  Then have to go back to HDMI Arc for sound and I will not experience any drops.  Suuuper annoying but does the trick for me.  

If/when I drop (forgetting to do the above or too lazy), I just reboot my router.

Feels like a scam. We have your money and we don’t care. If I’m wrong where is Sonos on this thread? I’m waiting.

Don’t just wait… Sonos Staff have already stepped in on this thread and have asked anyone with similar issues to submit a diagnostic report within 10 minutes and to contact them directly via this LINK. They likely need data to help with any investigation into the matters being discussed. That’s probably the best way to get the matter resolved. Waiting is okay, but not as helpful as following the advice mentioned by Staff.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

@Ken_Griffiths  I have.  How many more diagnostics do they need? They haven't STEPPED IN because my system and many others have stopped working since 14.6. over a month ago! I didn't buy a beta testing kit. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Hi All,

I have been following this thread from the beginning and finally jumping in.  Off the bat, thanks to Brad and Peter (plus all others) for all of your time and effort with this bug.  

My setup:  

LG CX OLED (wireless)

Cable box (HDMI INPUT 1)

(All SONOS now on v14.8 (build 68329170) - keep doing the recent updates hoping its the fix.

My issue is easily re-creatable simply by switching between inputs to the the built-in TV YouTube app or Netflix and watching a video.  I do not have have Apple TV.  Submitted 8+ diagnostics to various live SONOS reps via phone as early as April 22nd when restarting my router, unplugging and power cycling would only give me a temporary relief.  At the time they did not acknowledge the issue and went with the standard troubleshooting playbook - none of course worked.  

I have been on them since April 22nd and finally got an acknowledgement via email today that they are aware of the issue (a first for me but following this thread, know they have for others): “...as shared in the previous email, after an update it is not possible to revers the system to the previous firmware.  We are aware of the situation and our engineers are working to have this issue clear.”

My one workaround right now is to turn off SIMPLINK (HDMI-CEC) and switch output sound from HDMI ARC to “Internal TV Speaker”.  From there, I can go to YouTube, Netflix, Amazon, PS5, Amazon Prime… and turn on whatever I want to watch.  Then have to go back to HDMI Arc for sound and I will not experience any drops.  Suuuper annoying but does the trick for me.  

If/when I drop (forgetting to do the above or too lazy), I just reboot my router.

Interesting. My 2nd system with an LG CX and PS5 I haven’t experienced the issue yet. May I ask if you have HDMI CEC enabled on your PS5?

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Came home for lunch today, fired everything up and within 30 minutes subs and surrounds dropped out. Submitted diagnostic. Then about 10 minutes later while I was making sure I had right diagnostic number written down, subs (gen 3) came back on by themselves, but not surrounds (Ones). Submitted another diagnostic. Chatted with Sonos when I went back to work and made sure they had the reports for my ticket explaining what/when/how. Also sent them a report number I had made when everything was working correctly after a reboot of Arc and tv the previous day.

Couldn’t call support number like chat wanted obviously because I was at work, not home.

At lunch today I was watching Hulu live tv on my TCL Roku Series 6, but I did switch between a few channels in Hulu. Motortrend shows as Dolby multichannel PCM 5.1, and History channel is Dolby multichannel PCM 2.0. I might have switched to another channel, but I think that was Dolby multichannel PCM 5.1 as well. Gotta take better notes.

That’s all I did and the surrounds and subs dropped, but subs came back this time (usually all drop except for Arc). I do have an Apple TV 4K connected but hardly use it.

When I came back home tonite I decided to completely remove my Apple TV 4K (always connected to Roku tv and on wifi with CEC). Previously I did unplug the Apple tv’s hdmi and power cables, but had left the hdmi cable attached to the tv. This time I unplugged everything for Apple TV. Everything.

Turned off the powerstrips for all devices, didn’t actually unplug them - just power strips. Fed the dog, let him out, drank a beer. Then I powered up the Arc and tv and waited until their lights were off and showed up in my Asus router map. Then I powered up the strips for the subs and surrounds. Waited until all light were off. Checked app (which is 14.8.1) and all was there - Trueplay still on, settings, etc.

Checked router, everything is as it should be. Have been watching Hulu live tv (switching channels) and movies, switching to Disney+ watching Atmos movies, Amazon Prime… all on the Roku tv with no Apple TV connected.

Has been almost 3 hours now and it’s all working as it should. Not saying it won’t crap out again, but maybe the Apple TV 4K, even if you’re not using it is the problem - Apple and Sonos need to talk? I don’t know and will report back if it happens again. Been 3 hours now and no drop outs no matter what I watch on Roku tv.

But for those having issues - please report diagnostics to Sonos. I was slow to get started on this (my bad - didn’t know what to do), but Sonos can’t fix it unless they can diagnose what is going on. They are aware.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Has been almost 3 hours now and it’s all working as it should. Not saying it won’t crap out again, but maybe the Apple TV 4K, even if you’re not using it is the problem

This! I think you’re on the right track. Most people are assuming something is triggering an immediate dropout. I think some kind of error is occurring in the HDMI system related to a source device  (CEC,EDID, some kind of handshake issue?). Once the error occurs you may get a dropout right away, you may get one 30 minutes later, and you might get them frequently or not but the system becomes generally unstable and the dropouts occur. It also might not be specific to Apple TV because not everyone experiencing this issue has one but the sheer number of them seems like a good place for Sonos to investigate

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Nope, crapped out again. Switched from Hulu to Disney+ and Atmos is still enabled, but not surrounds or subs. One sub came back and of course it’s too late to call. 

Userlevel 2

I can confirm it’s not specific to the Apple TV. I’ve never had one, yet I experience the same dropouts. I do however have an Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 (TV is an LG CX)

Logically the issue is with the Sonos firmware. The problem arrived with the 14.6 update, this points to the firmware. Looking at this thread it’s clearly too difficult to pinpoint what’s triggering the dropouts and maybe only the diagnostics we have been submitting will tell. It would be nice if Sonos could at least acknowledge they can see the issue in the submitted diagnostics.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

it was a big pain but I finally arranged it so I could completely disconnect all HDMI cables from my tv and from the devices (my tv is mounted in a way that it’s a pain). Unplugged everything from power. Plugged tv back in. Powered on. Plugged in and powered on Sonos arc. Then systematically powered on each speaker. Once I confirmed they were all connected I plugged in and powered on the Apple TV. 
i know how fickle HDMI CEC can be so I did all this to make absolutely sure it was all clear. 
I didn’t even last 2 minutes before the issue happened. AHAHA sigh :( 

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Came home for lunch today, fired everything up and within 30 minutes subs and surrounds dropped out. Submitted diagnostic. Then about 10 minutes later while I was making sure I had right diagnostic number written down, subs (gen 3) came back on by themselves, but not surrounds (Ones). Submitted another diagnostic. Chatted with Sonos when I went back to work and made sure they had the reports for my ticket explaining what/when/how. Also sent them a report number I had made when everything was working correctly after a reboot of Arc and tv the previous day.

Couldn’t call support number like chat wanted obviously because I was at work, not home.

At lunch today I was watching Hulu live tv on my TCL Roku Series 6, but I did switch between a few channels in Hulu. Motortrend shows as Dolby multichannel PCM 5.1, and History channel is Dolby multichannel PCM 2.0. I might have switched to another channel, but I think that was Dolby multichannel PCM 5.1 as well. Gotta take better notes.

That’s all I did and the surrounds and subs dropped, but subs came back this time (usually all drop except for Arc). I do have an Apple TV 4K connected but hardly use it.

When I came back home tonite I decided to completely remove my Apple TV 4K (always connected to Roku tv and on wifi with CEC). Previously I did unplug the Apple tv’s hdmi and power cables, but had left the hdmi cable attached to the tv. This time I unplugged everything for Apple TV. Everything.

Turned off the powerstrips for all devices, didn’t actually unplug them - just power strips. Fed the dog, let him out, drank a beer. Then I powered up the Arc and tv and waited until their lights were off and showed up in my Asus router map. Then I powered up the strips for the subs and surrounds. Waited until all light were off. Checked app (which is 14.8.1) and all was there - Trueplay still on, settings, etc.

Checked router, everything is as it should be. Have been watching Hulu live tv (switching channels) and movies, switching to Disney+ watching Atmos movies, Amazon Prime… all on the Roku tv with no Apple TV connected.

Has been almost 3 hours now and it’s all working as it should. Not saying it won’t crap out again, but maybe the Apple TV 4K, even if you’re not using it is the problem - Apple and Sonos need to talk? I don’t know and will report back if it happens again. Been 3 hours now and no drop outs no matter what I watch on Roku tv.

But for those having issues - please report diagnostics to Sonos. I was slow to get started on this (my bad - didn’t know what to do), but Sonos can’t fix it unless they can diagnose what is going on. They are aware.

Ignore

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi All,

My setup:  

LG CX OLED (wireless)

Cable box (HDMI INPUT 1)

Interesting. My 2nd system with an LG CX and PS5 I haven’t experienced the issue yet. May I ask if you have HDMI CEC enabled on your PS5?

Yes, CEC is enabled for my PS5.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Hi All,

My setup:  

LG CX OLED (wireless)

Cable box (HDMI INPUT 1)

Yes, CEC is enabled for my PS5.  

I’m curious if it helps at all to turn it off on the PS5. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Whoah, did I just read the above correctly @Frank Smith? Sonos have acknowledged there is an issue and developers/engineers are working to resolve with a software fix? Or am I misinterpreting that?