Lost surround and sub ( after update ?)

Userlevel 3

Hi 

I don’t know if my issue is related to the 14.6 update but I noticed today that I had no sound from my surround (play 3) and my sub (Gen 2), only the Arc is working They are still present in the app under the my System view but now sound which every sources

When I reboot each of them, the sound comes back temporary, but when I switch to another source or audio format, thé Sound disappears again. Tried several times, same behavior

Thanks for your help

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1604 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

well I ordered a CEC blocking HDMI adapter just out of curiosity. should arrive tomorrow

awesome...and great idea

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

app version 14.8.1 is out but there is no new speaker firmware

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Looks like there’s an Apple TV update out today for those who might be interested. Not going to do it right away myself but I’ll do it when I’m ready to do some before and after testing

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Looks like there’s an Apple TV update out today for those who might be interested. Not going to do it right away myself but I’ll do it when I’m ready to do some before and after testing

Hell no. I'd rather punch myself in the face. Apple TV updates are trainwreck.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Hell no. I'd rather punch myself in the face. Apple TV updates are trainwreck.

Haha fair enough

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

14.8.1  D#18887051765

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Here’s a little fuel for the fire. I haven’t had a dropout in about a week and decided to try and cause one to support the fault finding effort. For the last week I’ve only had my main Apple TV connected, no other sources. I’ve watched all kinds of content on multiple apps with no problems. In preparation, while watching content on Prime on my main Apple TV,  I connected my second (vpn) Apple TV and powered it on. Before switching over to it, I tested my favourite atmos test scene and observed my first dropout in a week. I did not even have to switch sources to cause the dropout, just connect the second device and have my TV recognize it. 

I restored sub and surround with the new disable/re-enable Wi-Fi trick on the arc and played a bunch of trailers on Prime and then auto play trailers on Netflix (still on second Apple TV). While on Netflix I had a second dropout. I unplugged and disconnected the second Apple TV and restored sub and surround again.

I connected and powered on the second Apple TV again to see if it would trigger another dropout immediately which it did not. I watched my show on Prime for a while then flipped around different content a bit (on main Apple TV). Then I watched trailers on Netflix and triggered a third dropout (all in the space of an hour). Super interestingly, after watching various content and then trailer hopping in Prime and Netflix, the second and third dropouts both occurred when viewing the same Netflix trailer (Venom) after watching maybe 10-12 other Netflix trailers.

I restored again and jumped straight to Venom but a fourth dropout did not occur (just a coincidence then?) I disconnected the second Apple TV and jumped around content a bit on the main Apple TV. I went through the same trailer hopping exercise and was not able to trigger a fourth dropout within a similar timeframe. I won’t do a full disconnect/reconnect and power cycle of all devices and see how long I go before another dropout.

I’ve had a case open with Sonos support for a while and now that I think I can force a dropout, I’ll try to get escalated as high as I can to demonstrate it.

Takeaways: My system is far less stable with 2 Apple TV’s connected. My system might be completely stable with just 1 Apple TV connected. There appears to be more to it than just codec changes. It seems to be HDMI source related. Perhaps a codec or format change can appear like a source change (or source renewal?) depending on how certain devices handle format changes. This might explain why some people’s systems are more stable than others. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

@Freddy45764 remind me what tv you have? Thank you all the testing btw

im inclined to believe it is something related to HDMI CEC

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

@Freddy45764 remind me what tv you have? Thank you all the testing btw

im inclined to believe it is something related to HDMI CEC

LG C1 OLED. CEC seems very plausible to me at this point. I also bought a CEC blocking HDMI adapter but haven’t tried it yet. I’ll try to connect the second Apple TV again with it and see if I get the same problems. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

What really makes me think it’s CEC related is that I think the Apple TV is really stubborn about CEC so that even if you turn off “control TVs and receivers” it doesn’t actually completely disable CEC

on my LG CX system which doesn’t have an Apple TV my only sources are game consoles I have CEC turned off on all of the devices and I’m confident they actually respect it being disabled. 

as I mentioned I ordered a CEC blocking adapter that should arrive tomorrow so I’ll test further 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

What really makes me think it’s CEC related is that I think the Apple TV is really stubborn about CEC so that even if you turn off “control TVs and receivers” it doesn’t actually completely disable CEC

on my LG CX system which doesn’t have an Apple TV my only sources are game consoles I have CEC turned off on all of the devices and I’m confident they actually respect it being disabled. 

as I mentioned I ordered a CEC blocking adapter that should arrive tomorrow so I’ll test further 

Ya that all seems to track for me. I have it off on my second Apple TV and on for my main FYI. But I agree, I don’t think that setting is doing the job. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

@Freddy45764 @peterbault - that is quite an interesting thread that I missed whilst sleeping! I also have two Apple TV’s in my home. Both connected to the network (not via any VPN though). I have had these in my house for years without problem.

In terms of my case, Sonos have now exhausted testing and I have been told this is going to L3 Engineers for further investigation.

Last night, I did catch (and send a diagnostic) on some new behaviour. My rears and subs stopped when I flicked to Godzilla movie on Netflix via AppleTV. I left it playing whilst writing an update to Sonos and sending diag details. When I got back after 10-15 minutes the surrounds and one sub returned! (I sent another diag to capture that as well).

This is a very challenging problem to understand.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

@Freddy45764 @peterbault - that is quite an interesting thread that I missed whilst sleeping! I also have two Apple TV’s in my home. Both connected to the network (not via any VPN though). I have had these in my house for years without problem.

In terms of my case, Sonos have now exhausted testing and I have been told this is going to L3 Engineers for further investigation.

Last night, I did catch (and send a diagnostic) on some new behaviour. My rears and subs stopped when I flicked to Godzilla movie on Netflix via AppleTV. I left it playing whilst writing an update to Sonos and sending diag details. When I got back after 10-15 minutes the surrounds and one sub returned! (I sent another diag to capture that as well).

This is a very challenging problem to understand.

To be clear, the purpose for my second Apple TV is to connect through vpn. All the testing last night was done with the vpn router powered off and the Apple TV connected to main network via wifi. VPN is certainly not part of this as it has been unplugged for 3 weeks

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

@Freddy45764 @peterbault + All.

Its question time! (Sorry, no prizes).

1. What exact version of the Apple TV do you have?  (i.e. 4K Gen 1 or Gen2?)
  2. What HDMI versions does your TV support? (i.e. HDMI2.0a or HDMI 2.1)
  3. Do you have CEC turned on for all appliances? (i.e. TV, Apple TV and Sonos) 
Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Here’s a little fuel for the fire. I haven’t had a dropout in about a week and decided to try and cause one to support the fault finding effort. For the last week I’ve only had my main Apple TV connected, no other sources. I’ve watched all kinds of content on multiple apps with no problems. In preparation, while watching content on Prime on my main Apple TV,  I connected my second (vpn) Apple TV and powered it on. Before switching over to it, I tested my favourite atmos test scene and observed my first dropout in a week. I did not even have to switch sources to cause the dropout, just connect the second device and have my TV recognize it. 

@Freddy45764 - just to be really clear here, when you say you connected your 2nd AppleTV - was that too the same TV, or a different TV in a different location? 

Userlevel 1

Had 2 sub/surrounds dropouts last night watching Ozark, no app/hdmi switching. Just a pause to use the bathroom then when I resumed, only arc audio…

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

@terrysilver +all

Been monitoring this thread.

This is my experience too. I experienced this last night again after updating to 14.8 - I was watching Hulu live tv for a few hours, switching channels in the Hulu app now and then, sometimes quitting Hulu and going to another app like Disney+, but never changing inputs - stayed on the Roku TV.

This is on a TCL Roku Series 6 tv. When it happens is just random - for a few hours it’s fine - maybe more than that, then the subs and surrounds just stop outputting sound. The subs and surrounds still show up in the app and my Asus router map as connected. Have experienced this both on Sonosnet and wifi to router.

Have tried a Boost as well - still happens.

I do have an Apple TV 4K, but rarely use it. I’ve reset everything many times (like everyone has done) and disconnected the Apple TV, both power and hdmi, and just use the Roku apps (Hulu, Amazon, Disney+, etc.) and the issue still occurs - when, how or why is not understood.

Sometimes it’s just surrounds, sometimes surrounds and subs. Have also experienced the sub echo thing occasionally, but not always.

Just wanted to chip in that in my experience it isn’t just input switching that triggers it (maybe this has been discussed already).

Have started to submit diagnostics when it happens. Anyway, hope they resolve this as it’s very frustrating.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

14.8 lasted 45min

D# 2005309792

FYI this forum blocked 4 different versions of me trying to air out this issue. I had to thin it out to above...Customer experience call was a tow the line 101.I’m up on twitter airing this out. @FailSonos

What did you say to get blocked? (You may need to paraphrase @CKALOTS)

They are doing this to almost all my posts now…  Moderator looks at it first. Even if I just put  version and diagnostic number. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

@Freddy45764 @peterbault + All.

Its question time! (Sorry, no prizes).

1. What exact version of the Apple TV do you have?  (i.e. 4K Gen 1 or Gen2?) 
  2. What HDMI versions does your TV support? (i.e. HDMI2.0a or HDMI 2.1)
  3. Do you have CEC turned on for all appliances? (i.e. TV, Apple TV and Sonos) 

1. Main Apple TV is 4K 2nd gen. Secondary (vpn) Apple TV is 4k first gen

2. All ports HDMI 2.1 if I’m not mistake

3. On for the TV (not sure if it can be set per input or not). On for the main Apple TV.  Off for the second Apple TV. Not aware of it can be turned on/off for Sonos but if yes mine is definitely on

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

@Freddy45764 - just to be really clear here, when you say you connected your 2nd AppleTV - was that too the same TV, or a different TV in a different location? 

Same tv

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Same tv

I have a Gen1.

So you observed that it became more unstable when you connected your first gen AppleTV? I looked at the specs for Gen1 v Gen2 and it’s (apparently) only Gen2 that supports eARC. Can’t find the link now, but it just struck me that you had increasing instability when you plugged in the Gen1. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Please........roll.......us........back

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

I don’t think they can - all their recent products would probably not integrate. It’s gone to far now sadly.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

I don’t think they can - all their recent products would probably not integrate. It’s gone to far now sadly.

Ugh. I've got a wife just asking my to unplug the thing until they fix it because it is so annoying. This better not go the route of "not us, good luck". Everything worked fantastic, no equipment change, etc until an update and I was tossed into this boat with you fellas. We are going to need a Sonos Anonymous Support group. Meet once a month to talk about what once was.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I have a Gen1.

So you observed that it became more unstable when you connected your first gen AppleTV? I looked at the specs for Gen1 v Gen2 and it’s (apparently) only Gen2 that supports eARC. Can’t find the link now, but it just struck me that you had increasing instability when you plugged in the Gen1.

When I’ve had the gen 2 connected alone, I have been very stable. When I connect the gen 1 also, my stability craters. Can’t say for sure if it is the gen 1 that causes issues, or having 2 Apple TVs connected to the same system that causes the issues. Gives me some more things to trouble shoot though