Lost surround and sub ( after update ?)

Userlevel 3

Hi 

I don’t know if my issue is related to the 14.6 update but I noticed today that I had no sound from my surround (play 3) and my sub (Gen 2), only the Arc is working They are still present in the app under the my System view but now sound which every sources

When I reboot each of them, the sound comes back temporary, but when I switch to another source or audio format, thé Sound disappears again. Tried several times, same behavior

Thanks for your help

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1604 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hi All,

An update on progress so far.

Thanks, this is the most encouraging update I’ve heard. Please let us know how you continue to make out if you’re able. Makes me feel like Sonos is taking this seriously and at least looking in the right direction. Seems totally plausible based on my observations. 

Will do - I wont get a chance to fault-find and carry out the testing until tonight, so give me a day or so to submit to Sonos and also see what they say before reporting back. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

I’ve installed it - S2 app version and system version. In the short time I’ve been running it everything seems OK, but I don’t have an Arc, just a Beam 2, 2 One’s, Sub and haven’t been experiencing the problem discussed in this thread.

Fingers crossed it helps those suffering with the problem.

Well, at least we know it has passed some initial/early tests. It might give others so confidence to go ahead and install. I dont think I can install whilst going through these tests as it will change the environment and may invalidate some of the testing. So relying on others affected by this issue to tell me if 14.8 has helped! 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi All,

An update on progress so far….

This may make sense. I’m not actually getting drop outs but I get the rear/sub “echo” which I presume means they are going out of sync, and I can resolve it by re-booting my (Sony) TV. Don’t have to power-cycle any of the Sonos kit. If a TV reboot solves it short-term that may hint at it being a CEC issue? (I don't have an AppleTV connected, btw)

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

This may make sense. I’m not actually getting drop outs but I get the rear/sub “echo” which I presume means they are going out of sync, and I can resolve it by re-booting my (Sony) TV. Don’t have to power-cycle any of the Sonos kit. If a TV reboot solves it short-term that may hint at it being a CEC issue? (I don't have an AppleTV connected, btw)

Does the issue occur for you (as far as you can pin-point) when flicking between sources? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

System upgraded fingers crossed 

I would like to use my apple tv again even though the Firecube isn't bad

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

System upgraded fingers crossed 

I would like to use my apple tv again even though the Firecube isn't bad

Keep us posted @skullc - I have everything crossed and going to remain an optimist! 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

I’ve installed 14.8. No immediate issues but I haven’t tried to break it yet. Will test more later 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I’m testing it right now with Dolby content on Shield. So far it’s fine but last time it took an hour for the issue to happen so I’m gonna keep trying.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Does the issue occur for you (as far as you can pin-point) when flicking between sources? 

Yes. I use a Sky Q box and the TVs internal apps almost exclusively and as far as I can remember, this happens after I switch between any of those i.e. it doesn't happen randomly while on one source. (although not every time, of course - I seem to have been quite lucky by comparison to some others here) 

I’ve just updated to 14.8 so we’ll see what happens

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

@Brad Porter on a side note had the fault Sunday night mid film aliens in fact 

Fix was close the app on my phone and restarted it 

It worked for some reason anyway switching back to apple tv now with luck it will work 👍

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

this bug has ruined the matrix for me because I’ve seen the bullet time scene 1000 times now testing the surrounds 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

this bug has ruined the matrix for me because I’ve seen the bullet time scene 1000 times now testing the surrounds 

For me it’s the shooting scene in The Batman

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

My wife and kids have not seen me for weeks. (Sadly, they don’t seem too bothered so need to work out what that means). 😃

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

switched between my go to testing content and no issues so far but I’m not ready to call it yet. I’ve been here before where I thought it was fixed and suddenly it happened again. Will leave eARC on and see how it goes. Will update this thread 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

switched between my go to testing content and no issues so far but I’m not ready to call it yet. I’ve been here before where I thought it was fixed and suddenly it happened again. Will leave eARC on and see how it goes. Will update this thread 

Assume you are back to where your system configuration was before this took over your life?

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Assume you are back to where your system configuration was before this took over your life?

Yes indeed 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Yes indeed 

Cool. OK, I am not going to upgrade mine (when it appears) as if this does not resolve the issue we need to keep my system as-is as we are in the middle of fault finding. Let me me know!

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

could be a placebo but I feel like LPCM is louder now? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

could be a placebo but I feel like LPCM is louder now? 

No recent ear-wax treatment? 😁

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

It worked for some reason anyway switching back to apple tv now with luck it will work 👍

Hi @skullc - Closed the App on your phone? You mean S2 or was you streaming something?

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

I did the Sonos update...one hour in and no issue. Off note, Apple TV updates are a NIGHTMARE. I wish Sonos would manufacture their own streaming box and/or in combination with a selector so we could dump the Apple TV and the HDfury.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

I did the Sonos update...one hour in and no issue.

Hopeful. We probably need more time. I have found that after the ARC reboots then it tends to hold out longer before the issue finally occurs. A software update will reboot the arc and all speakers.

I really am becoming quite pessimistic aren’t I?

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

the nature of the issue is so inconsistent I won’t really believe it’s fixed until I’ve had a week of no issues. I’ve also now developed an annoying habit of touching my subwoofer whenever I walk by it to make sure it’s working 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

the nature of the issue is so inconsistent I won’t really believe it’s fixed until I’ve had a week of no issues. I’ve also now developed an annoying habit of touching my subwoofer whenever I walk by it to make sure it’s working 

Yep - I too have done a lot more of that. Also holding my ear close to the rear speakers to check for sound in quieter moments. I have become quite obsessed.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Hi @skullc - Closed the App on your phone? You mean S2 or was you streaming something?

Closed the s2 app only!

Odd isn't it 

Just watched a YouTube video then a film on prime and back to iron man 2 on apple library nothing yet 

My apple tv is on 15.6 btw