List of TV’s that will pass 5.1 from HDMI Sources to Playbar

Userlevel 2
All,
Would you mind listing your TV and mode/year in this thread if you have tested it and confirmed it will pass DD 5.1 to the Playbar and from what source. This will help those of us in the market for a new TV and playbar.

Thanks

MikeB.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

370 replies

Userlevel 2
I have a Philips 42PFL7008 and it passes the DD5.1 signal from HDMI (appletv) to optical...
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I recently picked up a Sony KDL42W653A and confirm that this DOES pass 5.1 down the optical from the devices connected to the HDMI. Also from the built in Netflix app but only Dolby Digital 2.0 from the Amazon app even when the content claims to be 5.1 - this is no doubt an amazon issue ! Lastly it passes 5.1 from content coming from a connected usb device.

This is using the latest firmware.

hope that helps !
Userlevel 2
I think it would be unrealistic for Sonos to keep a list of compatible TVs. I think due to ever changing firmware. Any update could effect feature sets.
I am a long time Samsung user. I am shopping for a TV to be compatible with my future Sonos home theater system. I went in to best buy and Frys to take a look. I am not interested in 4K TVs. Most reps will tell you "ohh yea, all new 4K TVs will output 5.1 over the optical output". But I think they are just looking to make a quick sale. In Best Buy, they had a Sharp and a Samsung rep. I am looking for anything over 65". The reps said usually anything in that size will output 5.1 over optical, but that is not really the case.
I asked for the remotes on 4 different brands to look at the audio options myself. The only definitive one I could find is from Sharp. The Q+ series. It specifically says "5.1 over optical output and receive device must be compatible". Even the newer high end Samsungs only did PCM. The Sonys had something called "variable", which the sales guy tried to convince me that it was 5.1.
I think for me it will come down to one of the Sharp 70" Q+ series TVs.
-edit. So I spoke with Samsung support and they mentioned that anything "6203" and above would have the 5.1 digital audio out over the optical port. For instance, the UN65H6203AFXZA is one. The option is available on smaller TVs, but just look for the middle numbers and make sure they are "6203" or above.
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
So does anyone know if the Samsung 55hu8200 passes 5.1?
Userlevel 2
just about to purchase a new tv and soundbar and found this artricle on a 5.1 through optical test (copy into google as cant post links yet)

20-tvs-tested-which-sets-can-pass-surround-sound-to-a-sound-bar/[/url]

looks like most sonys do pass 5.1 but can anyone confirm def for the KD55X8505BBU

i have emailed sony direct to see if they can help!!!
Userlevel 2
got this reply from sony today so reckon im going for the 55X8505 :)

Thank you for contacting Sony Support regarding the specification of the KD-55X8505B.

In an attempt to clarify this matter, please note that all our new models TVs do support the 5.1 surround sound, but it has to be a 5.1 content and to be outputted to compatible sound system using either HDMI or an optical cable.
Userlevel 2
Can anyone confirm if the new Vizio P-series will pass 5.1 to the Playbar?
Badge
Just out of curiosity:

My ht-setup until recently was receiver with multiple hdmi-sources (apple-tv/dvd-player/ps3/satbox) connected to panasonic plasma (P42G20)
Until I recently decided to change into Sonos 5.1 setup with playbar/sub and play3's.
To quickly find out about the problem this thread was started for...
The tv cannot send true 5.1 DD out to the playbar...

I read through this thread and stumbled uppon the hdmi switches. Which seem a nonlogical solution since I don't want to use an extra setting in this new setup, I was really looking forward to having just one source and sound setting: let the tv do the work for me!

Then I realised that my setup so far worked with hdmi as well: the receiver was hooked up to the tv with hdmi as well, using the arc-channel.
So the receiver took all sound and video from different sources, including the tv sound and would send video to the tv and audio to the speakers.

Then I started to wonder: would it be a solution to use a hdmi to toslink adapter. I imagine that connecting all of my sources to the tv and adding an adapter like this to the arc-hdmi channel of the tv and from that a toslink cable to the soundbar I would be back in business?
I would seem logical that the tv sends audio through that hdmi connector which would be converted to the adapter to light and into the sonos soundbar?

I found a couple on ebay for like $20 so ordering one of those would be not really a problem.

I'll keep you posted on trying out this solution.
When it works I might have to open a store:-)
pajako,

First post! Welcome to the forums.

Please keep us posted on the results of your experiment.
Badge
In the meantime I have encountered several posts concerning this issue. On this board as well on places all over the web.

I also ordered and returned an hdmi audio extractor. I connected it to my Panasonic P42G20 (hdmi-arc-port) and no sound at all. Straight from the Apple-tv the extractor did send audio to the Sonos so the unit worked.

Seems it would be good if Sonos would develop an hdmi(arc)-adapter that anyone could use which would 'tell' the tv 'I am here, send me the audio' and connect to the optical input of the Playbar…
Userlevel 2
Hi jlogo, I contacted Samsung today to know if their H6400 series TVs support 5.1 through the Digital Audio Out output. Their email reply (translated from French):

[indent]When sound comes out directly from the TV, the "Digital Audio Out" output supports Dolby Digital 5.1.

When you use an HDMI device and wish to use the "Digital Audio Out" output from your TV, sound will only be capable of supportig Dolby Surround and won't support Dolby 5.1.

• Example 1: USB stick plugged in the TV: Digital Audio Out -> Dolby 5.1 (for content supporting 5.1)
  • Example 2: Decoder plugged with HDMI: Digital Audio Out -> Dolby Surround (stereo)

[/indent]

I think they (Samsung) may be misleading us here. I think they may only be referring to they behavior of digital out using ARC over HDMI. I have a Samsung H6700 and am watching this thread with interest as I want a playbar, but am trying to get conclusive proof it will pass 5.1 and not watered down dolby surround or PCM stereo. In my searches I am yet to conclude this, but there is definitely evidence that Samsung only support dolby surround (2 channel) via ARC on HDMI.
Just tried my TV tonight with various sources, it difinetily will not decode dolby digital sound from the HDMI on the TV i.e. playing a DD source into the TV via the HMDI. I still haven't tried the pass through (as I have nothing ot pass into) but I do get the dolby digital option on the digital output menu when I play a DD soruce via HDMI.
Userlevel 2
I was able to use the service menu option discussed previously (change EDID from PCM to AC3) to get Dolby Digital 5.1 passthrough working from HDMI sources, through the 2013 LG Smart TV (55LA6200), and to the Playbar.

Specifics on how to do this can be pieced together from various online sources. In my case, I was able to access the service menu easily using the Universal remote that came with my UVerse service. When programmed to control my TV (using a code that is common to Vizio as well), the enter button on the Uverse remote calls up the service menu. Once you're on there, I found the EDID_TYPE option under "Tool Option 7" and set it to AC3. Voila!

My windows PC connected via HDMI to the TV now sees Dolby Digital as supported, and I can verify in the Sonos controller that it's receiving 5.1 from all of my HDMI connected devices, both the PC and my UVerse set top box. (I had to change the audio settings in the set top box to output surround first, as it does not seem to auto detect based on EDID.)

It seems most LG TVs are amenable to this (easy) hack, as long as you have a remote control that can pull up the service menu.
Badge
I am seriously considering a Sony right now since I want to change my tv for interior styling reasons anyway:-)
Userlevel 2
Further to my post above I can confrim exactly the situation on Samsung, or at least the H6700. As with the post regarding LG TVs above its related to the EDID. When you connect a device to the TV with HDMI it reports that it only supoprts PCM 2.0.
So, if the connected device changes its output format based on the EDID ie PCM 2.0 then the optical pass thru gets exactly that.
However, if the connected device has the option to fix the output format (and effectively ignore the EDID, SKy HD boxes in the UK are an example of this ) then the full dolby 5.1 signal gets passed through the optical output.
Userlevel 2
I picked up a Sony 40w600b for my bedroom on a discount. The hdmi to optical 5.1 passthrough to the playbar works without issue. I am using an Apple TV plugged into the tv via hdmi and an optical out to the playbar. Also, as with any other TV that I know of the built in TV apps and over the air HD programming sends 5.1 to the playbar as well.

On a different note, I noticed the when using the built in tv apps on the old Panasonic TV I had in the bedroom the signal to the playbar said stereo when watching non 5.1 content. Now when watching the same non 5.1 content with built in apps (as well as non 5.1 content from the apple tv) the Sony TV is actually sending Dolby 2.0.

Hope this helps. Considering this Sony TV is one of the cheapest of their 2014 lineup I thinks its safe to say anyone can get a new Sony TV to solve their 5.1 passthrough concerns.
Userlevel 2
Further to my post above I can confrim exactly the situation on Samsung, or at least the H6700. As with the post regarding LG TVs above its related to the EDID. When you connect a device to the TV with HDMI it reports that it only supoprts PCM 2.0.
So, if the connected device changes its output format based on the EDID ie PCM 2.0 then the optical pass thru gets exactly that.
However, if the connected device has the option to fix the output format (and effectively ignore the EDID, SKy HD boxes in the UK are an example of this ) then the full dolby 5.1 signal gets passed through the optical output.

Thanks for posting. i have the same 6700 Samsung Tv, sky and a Sonos Playbar. Sky is set to DD audio output on HDMI, HDMI connection to TV, optical from TV to Playbar. TV speakers set to 'off'. Additional sound settings on TV show DD as being input and DD as output (selectable, not greyed out). However, no sound heard at all from Playbar. If i toggle either the sky HDMI audio or TV audio to normal/PCM respectively, i get PCM sound to the Playbar, playing as it should, albeit in stereo only. Internal TV sources, DLNA streaming & Apps pass DD to the Playbar via optical perfectly.

Really interested in your comment wrt EDID and your statement that DD does indeed get passed through on your set up. On my Samsung 6700, i am yet to get this to work. Any help much appreciated
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Thanks for posting. i have the same 6700 Samsung Tv, sky and a Sonos Playbar. Sky is set to DD audio output on HDMI, HDMI connection to TV, optical from TV to Playbar. TV speakers set to 'off'. Additional sound settings on TV show DD as being input and DD as output (selectable, not greyed out). However, no sound heard at all from Playbar. If i toggle either the sky HDMI audio or TV audio to normal/PCM respectively, i get PCM sound to the Playbar, playing as it should, albeit in stereo only. Internal TV sources, DLNA streaming & Apps pass DD to the Playbar via optical perfectly.

Really interested in your comment wrt EDID and your statement that DD does indeed get passed through on your set up. On my Samsung 6700, i am yet to get this to work. Any help much appreciated

I read something at ask sonos site about samsung TV audio and 'DTS Neo' (in)compatibility.
see here
https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/please-add-support-for-dts-neo-to-the-playbay?

Did you try updating the TV firmware to see if any more options become available ?
Userlevel 2
Yep, tried latest TV firmware, Samsung released 2602.4 a few days ago. Sadly no change. DTS NEO remains an additional audio out option, but not supported today by the Playbar.
I am having the same issue with the Samsung UN65HU8700FXZA, I have the latest firmware update and have called both Sonos support and Samsung support. Both to no avail. Does anyone have any information on getting this particular model to output the dolby digital 5.1 signal from the TV to the playbar?

I have purchased the ViewHD TOSLINK | SPDIF Optical Audio 3X1 Switch with 5.1CH Decoder and it works, but it is not the ideal setup. I would much prefer the TV to output the correct signal to the Sonos playbar.
Userlevel 2
I have the whole surround set up that includes the SONOS Playbar, Sub, and two Play 3's.

I have them connected to a VIZIO 70 inch P-series P702ui-B3 and I can confirm that is working.

You have to complete the following steps in order to work.

1. First go to your Vizio settings and under Audio select TV Speakers off.

2. Under the same sub menu of Audio select Digital Audio Out to Bitstream.

3. To confirm that its working go to your SONOS app and under Settings go to About My Sonos System. Under the PLAYBAR you will see Audio In and it should say Dolby Digital 5.1.

Note*** When I completed the steps I did not see Dolby Digital 5.1 under the Audio In in the Sonos App. The reason was that I was using my Direct TV Genie receiver and I did not have Dolby Digital selected.

To do this, under the Direct TV menu go to settings > Audio > Dolby Digital > Select ON.

You will have to be careful to make sure that if you are using an external receiver such as Direct TV, UVERSE, Apple TV etc.. to have Dolby Digital 5.1 selected.

Hope this helps to the Vizio owners!!
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
I have the whole surround set up that includes the SONOS Playbar, Sub, and two Play 3's.

I have them connected to a VIZIO 70 inch P-series P702ui-B3 and I can confirm that is working.

You have to complete the following steps in order to work.

1. First go to your Vizio settings and under Audio select TV Speakers off.

2. Under the same sub menu of Audio select Digital Audio Out to Bitstream.

3. To confirm that its working go to your SONOS app and under Settings go to About My Sonos System. Under the PLAYBAR you will see Audio In and it should say Dolby Digital 5.1.

Note*** When I completed the steps I did not see Dolby Digital 5.1 under the Audio In in the Sonos App. The reason was that I was using my Direct TV Genie receiver and I did not have Dolby Digital selected.

To do this, under the Direct TV menu go to settings > Audio > Dolby Digital > Select ON.

You will have to be careful to make sure that if you are using an external receiver such as Direct TV, UVERSE, Apple TV etc.. to have Dolby Digital 5.1 selected.

Hope this helps to the Vizio owners!!
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Is there an onscreen message on the Vizio when you use the remote to adjust the volume?
Userlevel 2
Is there an onscreen message on the Vizio when you use the remote to adjust the volume?

You should only see a one time message saying TV speakers are off. If you continue to see an onscreen message with the volume level of the tv speakers you need to go to the VIZIO settings and under Audio select Analog Audio Out to Fixed. This will allow an external audio device ( sound bar or AV receiver) to control the volume.
Badge
Sharp LC-80LE632U with latest firmware
Bell Fibe HD TV receiver
HTPC for Netflix

Both sources connected via HDMI to the TV and then using optical out from TV to the Playbar. The TV is converting everything down to stereo.

When the Bell receiver audio output is set to stereo, everything gets sent over, but when the receiver is set to surround audio output, either nothing is sent, or just stereo. Most channels are quiet, but the audio streaming ones are passed (but still in stereo of course). When the Bell box was set to surround, on some rare cases, when switching inputs on the TV, for a few seconds the tv would pass audio to the Playbar, but would then cut out. Switching Bell box back to stereo output fixed that problem, but now I am not sending any surround data to the playbar. I suspect this is an HDCP protection issue with the TV?

Netflix via the HTPC is fine - but as noted, only in stereo.

I contacted Sonos technical support, and even though it is not an officially supported product, they recommend using an HDMI switch with optical audio output. I now have a Monoprice 107974 on order. Looks like this will remedy the problem, and should be able to deliver the full surround data from both sources to the Playbar without the TV hindering the audio output.

Here are my opinions on the Playbar and Sonos: Sonos technical support is super. Any time I need to call, I always get a friendly person on the phone and they are able to help resolve my issue. Very, very pleased with their customer service. I already have a multi-zone Sonos system in use for years now, so adding the Playbar was a natural extension to my audio setup. Sending my music library from the NAS drive, or streaming internet radio to the Playbar as another zone in the system is great. If you are already a current Sonos system user and are thinking of adding the Playbar to your TV, then I think it is a great product. If you do not have any Sonos components, and probably don't plan on investing into the ecosystem - making the Playbar your only component, then it is probably not the best fit. Some research on the net shows there are better sounding surround bars for less money, but the big value of the Playbar in my opinion is to add on to the existing multi-room ecosystem if you are already in it.

For Playbar sound quality: on stereo music sources, I am really impressed! Output is very clean, even at full volume. The vocal presence, and guitar tracks on certain albums are mind blowing. The Playbar also seems to provide a wider soundstage - as it would be trying to simulate a surround effect, and it does that very well. Even watching TV, or Netflix (although in stereo only), still sounds very good. Vocals and dialogue are clear. I am curious to hear what the difference will be like once I hook up the Monoprice box and see what the Playbar can do with a true surround signal.
Userlevel 2
After much research I recently purchased the following setup and can confirm everything works (ie. 5.1 from all inputs).

Sony KDL55W829 LCD Television
Samsung BD-H6500 Blu-ray player
Sky+ HD Box
Sonos Playbar + SUB

There is no need to adjust settings on TV to enable 5.1 passthrough via optical other than changing "Speakers" from "TV speakers to Audio System".

You can also have the volume control sync with the Playbar by setting "headphone/audio out" to "audio out" and "audio out" to "variable"

To enable on the fly transcoding of DTS to Dolby 5.1 you need to change Blu-ray "Digital Output" setting from "PCM" to "Bitstream (Re-encoded Dolby D).

I can also confirm that the TV passes through Dolby 5.1 from the both the TV and Blu-ray player Netflix apps.
Badge
Got the monoprice switch box and hooked it up to all the gear. Now with both sources being routed first through the switch and then to the Playbar, I am getting 5.1. Confirmed this with the Sonos app. Listened to some Game of Thrones - man this thing rocks!:D

Sharp LC-80LE632U with latest firmware
Bell Fibe HD TV receiver
HTPC for Netflix

Both sources connected via HDMI to the TV and then using optical out from TV to the Playbar. The TV is converting everything down to stereo.

When the Bell receiver audio output is set to stereo, everything gets sent over, but when the receiver is set to surround audio output, either nothing is sent, or just stereo. Most channels are quiet, but the audio streaming ones are passed (but still in stereo of course). When the Bell box was set to surround, on some rare cases, when switching inputs on the TV, for a few seconds the tv would pass audio to the Playbar, but would then cut out. Switching Bell box back to stereo output fixed that problem, but now I am not sending any surround data to the playbar. I suspect this is an HDCP protection issue with the TV?

Netflix via the HTPC is fine - but as noted, only in stereo.

I contacted Sonos technical support, and even though it is not an officially supported product, they recommend using an HDMI switch with optical audio output. I now have a Monoprice 107974 on order. Looks like this will remedy the problem, and should be able to deliver the full surround data from both sources to the Playbar without the TV hindering the audio output.

Here are my opinions on the Playbar and Sonos: Sonos technical support is super. Any time I need to call, I always get a friendly person on the phone and they are able to help resolve my issue. Very, very pleased with their customer service. I already have a multi-zone Sonos system in use for years now, so adding the Playbar was a natural extension to my audio setup. Sending my music library from the NAS drive, or streaming internet radio to the Playbar as another zone in the system is great. If you are already a current Sonos system user and are thinking of adding the Playbar to your TV, then I think it is a great product. If you do not have any Sonos components, and probably don't plan on investing into the ecosystem - making the Playbar your only component, then it is probably not the best fit. Some research on the net shows there are better sounding surround bars for less money, but the big value of the Playbar in my opinion is to add on to the existing multi-room ecosystem if you are already in it.

For Playbar sound quality: on stereo music sources, I am really impressed! Output is very clean, even at full volume. The vocal presence, and guitar tracks on certain albums are mind blowing. The Playbar also seems to provide a wider soundstage - as it would be trying to simulate a surround effect, and it does that very well. Even watching TV, or Netflix (although in stereo only), still sounds very good. Vocals and dialogue are clear. I am curious to hear what the difference will be like once I hook up the Monoprice box and see what the Playbar can do with a true surround signal.