List of TV’s that will pass 5.1 from HDMI Sources to Playbar

Userlevel 2
All,
Would you mind listing your TV and mode/year in this thread if you have tested it and confirmed it will pass DD 5.1 to the Playbar and from what source. This will help those of us in the market for a new TV and playbar.

Thanks

MikeB.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

370 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Mfr: Sony
Model: KDL-55HX800
Firmware: PKG4.114AAT

Passes DD 5.1 through optical cable

Any chance newer sets will pass DTS (with the hope that the PLAYBAR will add this as well?)
Badge
Hello WifiStrut.

Yes, I did turn off the Sony internal speakers from the TV set-up menu. Otherwise the sound coming out thru the optical will be stereo only.

Immediately after I turn the internal speakers off, the TV automatically start sending DD audio signal out. No DTS, only DD. But once I do this I start getting the annoying message from the TV every time I change the volume. "TV volume is fixed".

I don't know if there is a way for the TV to turn off the "volume is fixed" withing the TV itself. I did play with almost all the settings and was unable to find it.

What I mentioned in my previous post is that someone suggested at the begining of this topic to use a different brand of remote control other than Sony or something like it. I will need to go back and read again that particular post once I get my Sonos playbar.

Hope I was able to help you. Have a good day.

Hi TrevorFL --

Thanks. greatly appreciated! However, I tried ti find that in the sound option but could find it. Could you detail me where this option is?

(I didn't have a optical cable plugged into the TV, the option might only appear when a cable is plugged...?)

-cheers-

Any chance newer sets will pass DTS (with the hope that the PLAYBAR will add this as well?)

Traditionally, the video industry does not think through audio details very seriously. I think that SONOS hired an experienced video engineer to manage the PLAYBAR project and this engineer brought all of the standard best practices along. Unfortunately, industry "best practices" are a little short in the audio department. Even in the pre high definition days, TV audio was an unloved stepchild.

I have a friend who helped design the studio facilities of a local TV station. He is very particular and carefully matched all of the video cable lengths to insure the best color match between cameras and video processing chains. Here and there you'll find piles of video cable in racks and under the floor who's only function is to equalize cable lengths.

Audio processing!? While better than other stations in the area with respect to lipsync, there are still issues. Even in the control room, lipsync issues are observable. When I complain about lipsync issues the stare that comes back is classic: "Guy, what is it about lipsync that you don't understand? It's gone."

With respect to TV sets, it is possible that a future firmware update might improve things, but it could also degrade audio features if someone is not paying attention (and they usually don't).

Since SONOS has strong audio roots, they are more likely to attempt an improvement.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hi TrevorFL --

Thanks. greatly appreciated! However, I tried ti find that in the sound option but could find it. Could you detail me where this option is?

(I didn't have a optical cable plugged into the TV, the option might only appear when a cable is plugged...?)

-cheers-

Hello WifiStrut...

I noticed that your Sony TV model is not the same. Was looking at the manual of your TV and we don't have the same remote control.

Page 30 of your TV manual mention the following:

"Settings
The Settings icon contains all of the necessary configurations to customize your TV settings. The options you can select may vary. Unavailable options are grayed out or not displayed.
Picture: adjust the picture on your TV to fit your viewing preference.
Sound: customize your sound settings to suit your audio preference. You can also change the settings to output the sound to your connected audio equipment. Screen: adjust the size and shape of the images you see on the screen."

It also mention that is there is an option grayed out will mean that the selection or option is not available.

Maybe that will be the answer, but I am not sure. Let me know if you managed.

Have a good day!
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Since SONOS has strong audio roots, they are more likely to attempt an improvement.

Well I certainly hope it's a firmware revision to support DTS and not a hardware revision as that would be really bad for existing customers.
Badge
@TrevorFL

Thanks a lot for having looked into this. Yes, I do have grey options that I noticed when I was looking for your "stop sound" option, which I don't have, even in grey.

However, you gave me a great idea: as soon as I can, I will plug an optical cable out of my TV into an A/V receiver that indicates whether the source is 2.0 or 5.1.

I let everyone know here if my TV passed the test.

-cheers-
Userlevel 2
I bit the bullet and bought a new TV to go with the Playbar/Sub/P3s in my family room. The sound is great and simplifies things over the Monoprice HDMI switch I had before.

Sony model KDL-60EX645 does pass DD5.1 from the following HDMI sources: Directv, AppleTV, Samsung BD player. It will also pass DD5.1 from Netflix. I did not test any other streaming services.

BTW, Fry's has a great deal today on Sony XBR 55HX950 for $1919. 😃
Userlevel 2
Badge
I bit the bullet and bought a new TV to go with the Playbar/Sub/P3s in my family room. The sound is great and simplifies things over the Monoprice HDMI switch I had before.

Sony model KDL-60EX645 does pass DD5.1 from the following HDMI sources: Directv, AppleTV, Samsung BD player. It will also pass DD5.1 from Netflix. I did not test any other streaming services.

BTW, Fry's has a great deal today on Sony XBR 55HX950 for $1919. :D

If I may ask...Witch device are you using to stream from Netfix? The TV app or the Apple TV?

Thank you in advance for your information.
Userlevel 2
TrevorFL,

I used both the Sony TV by itself and the AppleTV to stream Netflix. Both sent a 5.1 signal to the optical output.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hello WifiStrut.

I don't know if you already own a Playbar or not. Read on...

I was reading somewhere here and learned the following. Maybe you already know it but just in case I would share it with you.

Using the IPad or IPhone app (if you have it) you can find out what is your playbar is getting. (Stereo or DD5.1)

Open the app while streaming or playing something that you know it is 5.1.

Select the little "gear" that will take you to the settings.

At the end select "About My Sonos System"

Pay attention to the Playbar setting.

In "Audio In" it will tell you if the current input is stereo or DD 5.1

I was glad to find out. I was sure my TV was passing 5.1 but was planing in getting a toslink switch just to be 110%. Now there is no need to do so.

Have a nice weekend.

Trevor
Badge
Dear TrevorFL --

Thank you so much for this most useful information! Unfortunately, I don't own yet a Playbar, precisely because I first want to be sure I will be able to input 5.1

Once I got one (which I hope) I will double-check with your tip.

Thanks again!

-cheers-
Userlevel 2
Just to let people know the samsung UE55ES8000 will pass 5.1.

My Sky box is connected to the tv by hdmi the play is then connected to the tv. When i checked about my sonos system it says
Audio In: Dolby Digital 5.1this has only been possibly from today as my sky box had had a firmware update and now allows me to choose the sound setting for hdmi
Userlevel 2
I've got a Sharp 80" 632u with Playbar/Sub/P3x2. Is there somewhere in the app or desktop software that shows what the audio format currently being output is? Obviously there's no display on any of the Sonos components to let me know if it's PCM (stereo) or true DD5.1/DTS.
Is there somewhere in the app or desktop software that shows what the audio format currently being output is? Obviously there's no display on any of the Sonos components to let me know if it's PCM (stereo) or true DD5.1/DTS.
Go to About My Sonos System in any controller and look under the Playbar item for Audio In.
Userlevel 2
Thanks ratty!
Userlevel 2
Sad to report, the Sharp 80LE632U doesn't seem to pass 5.1 through optical. Tested it with Motorola STB (U-verse) pushing HBO/Cinemax movies, and a PS3 pushing different BluRay's. No matter what I tried, everything was in stereo.

So I'm left with a dilemma. Pick up the TOSLink HDMI switch to replace my RocketFish one (which sits in a closet in rear of room) and run optical from it all the way over ceiling back down to TV, or just stick with stereo surround? It sounds like most new BluRay's are encoded in DTS which the soundbar can't decode regardless if it's coming from TV or AVR/Switch. Hopefully this gets fixed by a firmware update.

The current surround set up sounds pretty damn good, even if it's a stereo signal trumped up to sound like 5.1. How much better/clearer would it really be in DD? I don't really have a frame of reference to compare.

Hoping the next gen soundbar Sonos puts out has an HDMI input which could be run directly from the TV. This would get around the compliance thing wouldn't it? As the TV simply gets its input through HDMI 1, and passes it out over HDMI 2?
Userlevel 2
Just got my LG LW550T (2011) to pass through 5.1 dolby digital from hdmi to optical. Required access to the service menu to enable the function. Hopefully this will be of use for some of you LG owners out there. Very happy with my playbar now.
Userlevel 2
To enable on an LG tv....

Credit to mike at avsforums:

To enabl DD 5.1 passthrough, first access the service menu. Just go to the AC3 EDID D/L menu and click the "Start" button. All lines change to AC3(ok) and now your DD 5.1 coming in through your HDMI inputs is passed as DD 5.1 on the optical out of the TV! No more DD 5.1 --> Stereo downconvert.
Userlevel 2
LG 47LA740V LED works with 5.1

Had to update the firmware manually on my Sky+ Box (press Backup on the box itself during power on) and wait 10 mins. After that 5.1 everywhere.
Userlevel 2
Hi Everyone,

I am new to Sonos and new to this forum. Last week I bought my first Sonos component, Play:3, which I have in the kitchen. I am so impressed that I have decided to expand Sonos into my living room. My plan is: 2 x Play:3, Sub and Playbar.

However, before I go ahead I would like to know if my TV, Sony KDL 46w4000, is able to pass through 5.1.

The manual says:"Set to Auto when equipment compatible with Dolby Digital is connected, and set to PCM when non-compatible equipment is connected".

Does this mean that my TV is able to pass through 5.1?
Userlevel 2
Badge
I own a Samsung UE40ES6900SXXN but I only get Stereo signal (no Dolby digital) I own a blue ray player (also from Sumsung) this player is connected with a HDMI cable.
Userlevel 2
Just adding another (slightly older) Samsung to the list of TVs that DON'T pass 5.1

UE40B8000

User manually actually explicitly states the optical out will only pass stereo, but I still thought I'd try 🙂 but no, it is indeed stereo only.

I have my set hooked to a 1st generation Apple TV and also a Panny DVD player / recorder, both of which have optical outs. So I have solved the 5.1 pass problem by buying one of these:

CYP AU-D41 4 TO 1 OPTICAL DIGITAL AUDIO SWITCHER DIGITAL (sorry can't post hyperlink as my post count is too low)

I still have both the ATV and the Panny DVD passing video over HDMI connected to the TV as previously, but now I have their optical outs (plus the optical out from the TV) connected to the CYP switch, which then in turn connects to the Playbar. I have it all set up with my Harmony Touch remote so that switching inputs will switch the CYP optical input to the correct source. All seamless, and now wallowing in 5.1 goodness.

I tried one or two HDMI switch boxes mentioned in this thread, but I found I often got delay / blue screening when switching sources, while the switch box did it's "thing". Keeping the HDMI straight to the TV for video, but switching the audio with this little box seems to be much quicker. The unit itself is very small (about the size fo tow cigarette packets) and tucks away very neatly.

Hope this helps,

rake
My new Toshiba TV passes DD5.1 through. It's:

Toshiba 50L5200U
Software version Jun 19 2012 - 10:37FW:1.12

I don't have a Playbar yet, but will likely get one as we're going to be mounting this TV to the wall and hang the Playbar underneath.
Userlevel 2
I just bought the Vizio M551D-A2 from Sam's Club. Plugged in the Playbar. Checked the stats on "About My Sonos...". And it is showing "Audio In: Dolby Digital 5.1"

I did have to change the digital output from PCM to Bitstream and then turn off the tv speakers.

Hope this helps.
Userlevel 2
Hey folks,

The entire Internet could not tell me the answer as to whether the new Samsungs can relay 5.1 out to Sonos Playbar. I got frustrated because I could not find the answer, so I just bought the items - Samsung 55UNF6300 and playbar 5.1 system and hooked it up with my 30-day return guarantee securely in my wallet. The answer is YES!

Set up:
PS3 with bluray - under sound setup click on Dolby 5.1 and unclick everything else, and while playing movie click triangle and select audio options changing it from PCM to bitstream
HDMI PS3 to Samsung - under tv sound setup select ext speaker and select Dolby
Optical out to Samsung... Amazing!
Double checked my Sonos app and it truly does say Dolby 5.1 as well

Sublime