List of TV’s that will pass 5.1 from HDMI Sources to Playbar

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

370 replies

Userlevel 2
Strange, my Samsung LE40C750 (2010) always shows Dolby Digital 5.1. Whether I watch TV or Netflix via my Apple TV (HDMI).
Userlevel 2
This is interesting... when asked Samsung officially states that none of their TVs support 5.1 passthrough. I sent an email to their support online asking for a list of TVs that support the feature and this was the response

Dear djc6535,

Thank you for contacting Samsung.

I understand that you are looking for a Samsung TV that outputs 5.1 audio through Digital audio out using the optical cable.

Thank you for choosing Samsung.

I would be happy to provide you with the necessary information.

I have checked all our resources and I see that the HDMI input on Samsung TV cannot pass Digital 5.1 Surround Sound to the Digital Optical Audio output jack. Samsung TV can pass only 2.1 surround sound to the Digital Optical Audio output jack.

If you want Digital Video and Digital 5.1 Surround Sound, you must connect the video output of your source to your TV using DVI or HDMI, and connect the digital audio output from your source directly to the digital audio input of your Home Theater System or Stereo. You can also convert the 2.1 surround sound output from TV to 5.1 surround sound on the home theatre.

For example, if you have connected the source (a DVD player) to your TV using the DVI, or HDMI, you would then connect the digital audio output from that source (the DVD player) to the digital audio input on your Home Theater System or Stereo.
Perhaps the sales staff could connect the TV to an AV receiver (or something similar) that can indicate presence of a 5.1 input.
Userlevel 2
My new Toshiba TV passes DD5.1 through. It's:

Toshiba 50L5200U
Software version Jun 19 2012 - 10:37FW:1.12

I don't have a Playbar yet, but will likely get one as we're going to be mounting this TV to the wall and hang the Playbar underneath.

How did you find out if the TV passes DD5.1 without a playbar? I don't have a playbar yet and am getting a new TV soon, would like that TV to be playbar compatible. Need a way to test the TVs in the showroom before settling down with one.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I can confirm the new Vizio M-seriels pass full DD 5.1 from all sources.

Personally tested and verified on the following:
M701D-A3
M801D-A3

In the audio menu, turn off internal speakers and set optical out to Bitstream, instead of PCM. Awesome!
Userlevel 2
I have a sharp Aqous tv about 2 years old, i switched my optical input to go directly from bell PVR and Apple TV box via a splitter to the playbar, I am in canada will this solve the problem or do I need to buy an oppo blu ray or is there any other manufactured blu rays that do the same thing?
Userlevel 2
Badge
New w805 purchased and passing 5.1 superbly well
Have to say the sound on hd channels is amazing on the playbar and sub
Seems to be that all Panasonics do NOT pass through 5.1 from HDMI input....

Sony seems to do so?! Can anybody check with a new one (W905 or W805)

Thanks,
Juergen
It's possible the Panasonic won't pass 5.1 from the HDMI inputs (this wouldn't be the first TV to do such a thing). The SmartTV choices are internal to the TV.
I have a newer Panasonic smart TV. . .when I use it to play either Netflix or Amazon content that is in 5.1 it plays thru the soundbar nicely at 5.1 (checked it via the App). However, when switch to watching cable (Verizon FiOS) the sound quality drops and the app says "stereo" input. The cable box is set to output surround and with my other (non playbar) systems in the house 5.1 works fine.

So what is going on? I thought the issue was with the TVs not passing 5.1 thru the toslink cable but if I can get it with Netflix/Amazon, why isn't it working with my cable box?

Thanks
Anybody having a newer Panasonic LCD TV connected to the Playbar?

I think about buying either a Sony 46-W905 or a Panasonic 47-DTW60, both 2013 models...

Would be great to know if either one is capable of passing through DD5.1 (good chance, that the sony does it, though)

Best regards,
Juergen
I have both my PLAYBARs hooked up to Sony TVs, one two years old, the other a month old and both pass 5.1 through the optical port just fine.

What model Sony TV is the newer one? Thanks.
Userlevel 2
code:
When the receiver (i.e Home Theatre) is set to On, you can hear sound
output from the TV’s Optical jack. When
the TV is displaying a DTV (Aerial)
signal, the TV will send out 5.1 channel sound to the receiver. When the
source is a digital component such as a DVD and is connected to the TV via
HDMI, only 2 channel sound will be heard from the receiver.
This i not verified by me but it doesn't look good for my TV.

Any ideas to a splitter?
Movie signal is from an Intel NUC with XBMC and just HDMI out so I guess I need a splitter/converter with (HDMI passthrough and) optical out in DD5.1 right?
Userlevel 2
Anyone tried the SAMSUNG PS64D8005 specifically?

I have just the build-in speakers and am in love with the Playbar. I know I will get great sound whatever will replace the build in speakers but knowing that it could be even better is bad...

If the TV doesn't pass what would be the solution to connect my INTEL NUC XBMC box HDMI out to the playbar and still send HDMI to the TV and sound directly to the Playbar?
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I have both my PLAYBARs hooked up to Sony TVs, one two years old, the other a month old and both pass 5.1 through the optical port just fine.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Thanks, I have seen that in the specs along with something similar for Vizio but some have found that it only applies to the internal tuner or some built in apps on some TVs not to the pass thru (for my roku or blu-ray).
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I'm pretty sure most Sony HDTVs released in the last few years pass 5.1 through their optical out ports.

On page 78 of the KDL70R550A manual:

DIGITAL AUDIO OUT
(OPTICAL):
PCM/Dolby Digital optical signal

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/KDL-R520A_R550A.pdf
Userlevel 2
Badge
Does anybody know of any 70" models that are for sale now that will work? I want to get one and was hoping the Sony KDL70R550A would work or the Vizio M701D-A3.
Userlevel 2
I can confirm that LG42LH5000 works.
I get 5.1 from optical out, and input to TV is HDMI.

This is not an high end model, and is from 2009.
Userlevel 2
I can confirm that 5.1 works on a VIZIO E601i-A3 60-inch.
Userlevel 2
Hey folks,

The entire Internet could not tell me the answer as to whether the new Samsungs can relay 5.1 out to Sonos Playbar. I got frustrated because I could not find the answer, so I just bought the items - Samsung 55UNF6300 and playbar 5.1 system and hooked it up with my 30-day return guarantee securely in my wallet. The answer is YES!

Set up:
PS3 with bluray - under sound setup click on Dolby 5.1 and unclick everything else, and while playing movie click triangle and select audio options changing it from PCM to bitstream
HDMI PS3 to Samsung - under tv sound setup select ext speaker and select Dolby
Optical out to Samsung... Amazing!
Double checked my Sonos app and it truly does say Dolby 5.1 as well

Sublime
Userlevel 2
I just bought the Vizio M551D-A2 from Sam's Club. Plugged in the Playbar. Checked the stats on "About My Sonos...". And it is showing "Audio In: Dolby Digital 5.1"

I did have to change the digital output from PCM to Bitstream and then turn off the tv speakers.

Hope this helps.
My new Toshiba TV passes DD5.1 through. It's:

Toshiba 50L5200U
Software version Jun 19 2012 - 10:37FW:1.12

I don't have a Playbar yet, but will likely get one as we're going to be mounting this TV to the wall and hang the Playbar underneath.
Userlevel 2
Just adding another (slightly older) Samsung to the list of TVs that DON'T pass 5.1

UE40B8000

User manually actually explicitly states the optical out will only pass stereo, but I still thought I'd try 🙂 but no, it is indeed stereo only.

I have my set hooked to a 1st generation Apple TV and also a Panny DVD player / recorder, both of which have optical outs. So I have solved the 5.1 pass problem by buying one of these:

CYP AU-D41 4 TO 1 OPTICAL DIGITAL AUDIO SWITCHER DIGITAL (sorry can't post hyperlink as my post count is too low)

I still have both the ATV and the Panny DVD passing video over HDMI connected to the TV as previously, but now I have their optical outs (plus the optical out from the TV) connected to the CYP switch, which then in turn connects to the Playbar. I have it all set up with my Harmony Touch remote so that switching inputs will switch the CYP optical input to the correct source. All seamless, and now wallowing in 5.1 goodness.

I tried one or two HDMI switch boxes mentioned in this thread, but I found I often got delay / blue screening when switching sources, while the switch box did it's "thing". Keeping the HDMI straight to the TV for video, but switching the audio with this little box seems to be much quicker. The unit itself is very small (about the size fo tow cigarette packets) and tucks away very neatly.

Hope this helps,

rake
Userlevel 2
Badge
I own a Samsung UE40ES6900SXXN but I only get Stereo signal (no Dolby digital) I own a blue ray player (also from Sumsung) this player is connected with a HDMI cable.