Question

Lipsync Issues

• 24 September 2019
  • 14 replies

Badge
Hi,

I have a Sonos Beam and in the main I'm very happy. However, like others on here I'm having issues with lynching - i have a Sony Bravia TV, a Sony S380 Blu-ray Player and a Sky Q box (UK).

It is usually okay unless I'm using an HD channel. Changing the slider on the Sonos app does absolutely nothing to fix the lipsynching. I've also tried turning off the imaging processing but still to no avail.

Any ideas?

Charles

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Badge

Is there anyone there looking at these?

Have you tried removing all of the extra audio processing that the TV might be doing? They’re often the cause of delay to audio going to either the HDMI-ARC or optical port.

Also, have you checked in the About MY Sonos to see what kind of signal the Beam thinks it is getting, when you’re experiencing this delay?

Have you checked to see if there are any firmware/software updates for your TV?

While I’ve not seen a lot of posts regarding Sony products, there’s a plethora of posts in this area of the forum where people have resorted to stripping the audio out before it gets into the TV by using HDMI switches that have optical outputs, which skips any delays that seem to be introduced by the TV’s electronics. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I have a Samsung tv with the same problem and samsing say its a sonos problem and sonos say its a Samsung problem  i think i waisted my money not sure on what yet 

Seems odd for Sonos to work without issue on so many other TVs. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Same issue occasionally - Dive deep in to your Sky Q box settings and you can set a delay to remedy your problem

Badge

Have you tried removing all of the extra audio processing that the TV might be doing? They’re often the cause of delay to audio going to either the HDMI-ARC or optical port.

Also, have you checked in the About MY Sonos to see what kind of signal the Beam thinks it is getting, when you’re experiencing this delay?

Have you checked to see if there are any firmware/software updates for your TV?

While I’ve not seen a lot of posts regarding Sony products, there’s a plethora of posts in this area of the forum where people have resorted to stripping the audio out before it gets into the TV by using HDMI switches that have optical outputs, which skips any delays that seem to be introduced by the TV’s electronics. 

Thanks Bruce,

I’ve already stripped away as much of the image processing as i can. The only thing that works is to change the audio to PCM but then that isn’t much of a solution because i already had stereo audio via the TV.

When you talk about “what kind of signal...” what exactly do you mean? That’s something i’ve not looked at. 

I did thing about the audio stripper option but what worries me is it’s not consistant: if im watching a blu-ray through my Sony player then the lip-sync is noticeably worse than when watching an HD TV channel via sky.

Badge

Check the forums - most TVs are affected.

Badge

Same issue occasionally - Dive deep in to your Sky Q box settings and you can set a delay to remedy your problem

Thanks for the advise. I looked at that but that only makes things worse - i think the audio is behind the picture so slowing it down only exacerbates the problem.

Badge

I have a Samsung tv with the same problem and samsing say its a sonos problem and sonos say its a Samsung problem  i think i waisted my money not sure on what yet 

It’s so frustrating isn’t it. Everything is connected via HDMI so i cant see how there is a lag! 

Check the hospital - most people are sick.

The fact is, there was once an actual widespread problem with the Playbar.  There were dozens of threads, and the main one reached 1000 posts in a couple days.  That’s what a widespread problem looks like. 

Badge

Check the hospital, most people are sick.

The fact is, there was once an actual widespread problem with the Playbar.  There were dozens of threads, and the main one reached 1000 posts in a couple days.  That’s what a widespread problem looks like. 

Thanks for taking the time and reaching out. Very helpful.

Look, I sympathize.  However, incorrect information or over-exaggeration of the problem should be corrected.  It may not help you, but it certainly helps others that are contemplating a purchase and are being misled by false claims of a widespread problem.

Also, if past history is an indication, these types of issues have always been the fault of the TV’s firmware (LG TV’s seem particularly vulnerable), so while complaining here may help you vent, complaining at the TV manufacturer will probably bear more fruit.  

Badge

Look, I sympathize.  However, incorrect information or over-exaggeration of the problem should be corrected.  It may not help you, but it certainly helps others that are contemplating a purchase and are being misled by false claims of a widespread problem.

Also, if past history is an indication, these types of issues have always been the fault of the TV’s firmware (LG TV’s seem particularly vulnerable), so while complaining here may help you vent, complaining at the TV manufacturer will probably bear more fruit.  

I’m not looking for sympathy or to vent - i came here for help and you have provided none. Did you come here to help or to snipe? Whatever compelled you to respond to a help request with a correction to the contrary, I urge you to resist in future.

A quick look in the comments will show that this is a common issue: LG, Samusung and Sony are all affected. I’m pleased your set-up works for you but mine (any many others) don’t work for them - which is why there are so many threads dedicated to it.

Please take your “assistance” elsewhere.

Gee, I thought advising you that the issue has been fixed in the past via a firmware update on the TV, and therefore it would be better to look to them for a solution was providing help.  Silly me. :rolling_eyes: